Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Recommended Posts

Just now, Threedom said:

Long time lurker, I really enjoy all the insight provided on this board regarding recruiting and the current team.  

I am impressed with strides this team is making, impressed with offensive adjustments the staff has made recently, and impressed with half time adjustments all season. 

We will make noise in the conference and be in the dance.  Maybe mandatory ball to Morgan first 5 possessions would help slow starts.  

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation.  Appreciate you kind words. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Threedom said:

Long time lurker, I really enjoy all the insight provided on this board regarding recruiting and the current team.  

I am impressed with strides this team is making, impressed with offensive adjustments the staff has made recently, and impressed with half time adjustments all season. 

We will make noise in the conference and be in the dance.  Maybe mandatory ball to Morgan first 5 possessions would help slow starts.  

Welcome to The forum!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I don’t care if they both had two fouls, playing that stretch with both Romeo and Juwan on the bench was a stupid decision. We have no offense without them. The game got away from us to a point of being too far gone during that time. We played with them after that. 

Completely agree. I was saying the same thing as soon as they went to the bench - should have let Romeo play through it. We probably would have lost anyway, but that decision basically ended the game. By the time they came back we were down double digits. On the road against #2, that's pretty much it.

On the positive side, I was happy with the fight our guys showed in the second half. We really need to get healthy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think these teams are actually pretty close. The big difference is that Michigan just has more threats on offense. Michigan has a couple more guys that can make and create plays compared IU. The thing stopping IU from being a legit threat right now is have 1-2 other guys that are threats to create offensively  

I’m pretty happy with how Smith has progressed since his poor start to the season, but with that said IU would be such a dangerous team if he was a guy that defenses even had to remotely worry about. 

When I watch Michigan, I see Indiana in a couple years with a junior Phinisee, RS sophomore Hunter, sophomore Brooks, sophomore TJD, senior Smith, just a bunch of long, athletic guys that can make plays and finish. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

This is one tough team but need a third option on offense to emerge.  

Our 3rd scorer in my opinion is Rob and whe will continue to emerge as that if he can just get back on the court from that “concussion”

Edited by 5 championships

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I think these teams are actually pretty close. The big difference is that Michigan just has more threats on offense. Michigan has a couple more guys that can make and create plays compared IU. The thing stopping IU from being a legit threat right now is have 1-2 other guys that are threats to create offensively  

I’m pretty happy with how Smith has progressed since his poor start to the season, but with that said IU would be such a dangerous team if he was a guy that defenses even had to remotely worry about. 

When I watch Michigan, I see Indiana in a couple years with a junior Phinisee, RS sophomore Hunter, sophomore Brooks, sophomore TJD, senior Smith, just a bunch of long, athletic guys that can make plays and finish. 

I honestly don’t know why smith doesn’t look to shoot that 3 aroumd the top of the key more. He hit one from there against butler and last year he hit some shots from there. I think he is really capable of making that at 32-35 percent rate. Would help a ton! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Threedom said:

Long time lurker, I really enjoy all the insight provided on this board regarding recruiting and the current team.  

I am impressed with strides this team is making, impressed with offensive adjustments the staff has made recently, and impressed with half time adjustments all season. 

We will make noise in the conference and be in the dance.  Maybe mandatory ball to Morgan first 5 possessions would help slow starts.  

i like something awful close to that.  he must at least touch it unless uncontested drive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure someone else has touched on him but Justin Smith with another very good game. Obviously the starts need to be addressed but down RP, Davis...and 2 best players our early with foul troubles I'm not having a real difficult time moving on from this one. Would love to see if we could steal a road game on Friday. These are the games that will be the difference between 15-5 or 13-7 finish in conference play. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Indiana at Michigan: The Report Card: See a complete summary of yesterday's game, including:
Final grades
Archie Miller post-game
John Beilein post-game
Highlights
Final box score/specialty stats

You are being kind with your player grades.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Daily Hoosier said:

Don't hold back man.  It's clearly just opinion.  What do you take issue with?

Not taking an issue, but there is no way I would have given McBob and Fitz "C"s.  They gave below average minutes off the bench.  Just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, rico said:

Not taking an issue, but there is no way I would have given McBob and Fitz "C"s.  They gave below average minutes off the bench.  Just my opinion.

Got ya.  I don't necessarily look at a C as being the average.  To me, if you get a C you weren't playing well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Got ya.  I don't necessarily look at a C as being the average.  To me, if you get a C you weren't playing well. 

Then I give them D's.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   Zavier Simpson is an elite PG.  He controlled the game last night.He doesn't turn the ball over very much especially  given that the ball was almost always in his hands.  He didn't turn it over at all last night and got 3 assists.  He's averaging 1.8 TO's and 5.9 assists per game which is 3.3 A/TO ratio.  He also seems to know who to get the ball to and where and when.  He broke us down frequently and got into the lane and finished.  He's a wizard at the bank shot fading away going down the lane.  He got 12 pts. last night but averages 7.1 pts. per game on the season.  A weakness is that he doesn't shoot the 3 well as he was 0-2 last night.  He hit at less about 27% this year and a tick higher last year.  He takes just over 2 per game.  He's a very good defender also. 

UM can hit the 3 thought the tailed off after the first half last night.

UM is an elite defensive team.  They play the passing lanes well.  We only turned the ball over 7 times which is great for us, but most of the TOs were in the 1st half and were on backcourt passes the UM turned into easy baskets.  IU is not fundamentally sound in that they do not go out and meet the pass which leads to these types of TOs.   I think the announcers said UM had 11 pts on TOs in first half compared to our 2.  That was most of the difference in the first half.

To have had a chance in this game we needed to get the game under 10 at end of first half or beginning of 2d half.  We didn't get it there until well into the 2d half, and UM quickly got the lead back up.

JM got 25 but not in his usual very efficient manner as 9-22 for the game but 2-5 from 3.  He had foul trouble, also.

We had problems with half court offense just like v. Illinois.  We had 6 assists on 23 made baskets.  Our ball movement was not good in 1st half, but better in 2d half.  JG often couldn't finish when he got in the lane.  Romeo was best when he isolated on the weak side and we got him the ball.  He's almost unstoppable in that situation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Don't hold back man.  It's clearly just opinion.  What do you take issue with?

I'd give Morgan an A and McRoberts a D. Morgan was a beast, McRoberts, unfortunately, is regressing. I'm not sure what it is, he's not being aggressive.

The slow start thing imo is not about "toughness." The team has shown toughness repeatedly including in battling back -- that takes toughness. In fairness, I think it starts with the coach. On the one hand, I think CAM is not doing whatever he needs to do to address the slow starts. Then again, on the other, we are repeatedly missing key players, and it may be as simple as that. We need a complete team on the floor, and Rob obviously is key to what this team can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday was my favorite type of game...you know, the nationally televised game between 2 ranked opponents, where 2 of the 3 best players in the stadium are on the bench due to “foul” trouble. 

Man, referees really kill the product. But I guess as long as the kids make it to class tomorrow, all is well.........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'd give Morgan an A and McRoberts a D. Morgan was a beast, McRoberts, unfortunately, is regressing. I'm not sure what it is, he's not being aggressive.

The slow start thing imo is not about "toughness." The team has shown toughness repeatedly including in battling back -- that takes toughness. In fairness, I think it starts with the coach. On the one hand, I think CAM is not doing whatever he needs to do to address the slow starts. Then again, on the other, we are repeatedly missing key players, and it may be as simple as that. We need a complete team on the floor, and Rob obviously is key to what this team can do.

Not unreasonable on Morgan or McRoberts.  My issue with Morgan in this game was (1) the two fouls, and (2) if any player on this team owns the slow starts, its Morgan.  I'm not sure it is fair to pin it on him, but by the same token, a senior co captain leader needs to be just that.  

I think that is what Archie was saying about toughness -- that, sure, we are tough in the last 30 minutes, but you have to be that way the whole game against elite teams.

Edited by The Daily Hoosier
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A loss is a loss(didn't get a chance to watch the game but checked the score on m phone throughout the game), however with the top two players on the team in foul trouble, a slow start(AGAIN),  missing our starting PG, fighting back from being down by 20 or so points, and other injuries, I am not too upset.  Health is our biggest weakness right now oh and Justin Smiths dad tweeting in rage that only two IU players get to take all the shots on the team...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

To emphasize this point...Damezi should be getting McBob's minutes from here on out.

Before the game many thought (reasonably IMHO) that our bench would be a positive.  Livers didn't play and their bench still outscored ours 10-0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Before the game many thought (reasonably IMHO) that our bench would be a positive.  Livers didn't play and their bench still outscored ours 10-0.

What bench do/did we have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like I told you so posts but here's my I told you so posts. Last spring I was criticized for McRoberts (i.e. getting scholarship or not,etc..). He's a very good kid. At times he makes those plays that we all love. However we can't continue to play 5 on 4 on offense with him out there. I think someone else brought up earlier. I'd like to see Damezi given some of his minutes. Yes...McRoberts usually helps out with 3-4 plays each game that translates in 6-8 points for us. Maybe Damezi could hit a few 3's to offset his defense. I don't know. We have to figure out a way to start making some shots from the outside. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Not unreasonable on Morgan or McRoberts.  My issue with Morgan is (1) the two fouls, and (2) if any player on this team owns the slow starts, its Morgan.  I'm not sure it is fair to pin it on him, but by the same token, a senior co captain leader needs to be just that.  

I think that is what Archie was saying about toughness -- that, sure, we are tough in the last 30 minutes, but you have to be that way the whole game against elite teams.

Hindsight is always 20/20.  But I will call it way I saw it from the rear view mirror.  Fouls are part of the game.  IU was not going to win that game with Juwan and Romeo sitting on the bench.  I love Archie's ability to make in game adjustments, but why didn't he fall back into a zone to protect his two best players?  Do they work on a zone in practice?  And while I am ranting.....do they even work on pressing?  C'mon, you spent most of the game down double digits.  You got to try something right?  At least that is the way I approach it.  I realize it wasn't a NCAAT game, but dang play around with some twists.  You know, something the other team doesn't expect to see.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't like I told you so posts but here's my I told you so posts. Last spring I was criticized for McRoberts (i.e. getting scholarship or not,etc..). He's a very good kid. At times he makes those plays that we all love. However we can't continue to play 5 on 4 on offense with him out there. I think someone else brought up earlier. I'd like to see Damezi given some of his minutes. Yes...McRoberts usually helps out with 3-4 plays each game that translates in 6-8 points for us. Maybe Damezi could hit a few 3's to offset his defense. I don't know. We have to figure out a way to start making some shots from the outside. 

I have already stated my opinion, McBob would never see the floor again.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×