Wanted: Shooters and more shooters

28 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Well we just out-shot the #2 team in the nation from behind the arc in their home gym, so it's not like we are terrible...

I am just looking at next year and our guards will be Durham, Green, RP and Franklin and none are considered shooters. We might hit some outside shots but we have none who when they shoot you are surprised when they miss.

We do have Damezi. He also brought in Fitzner who suppose to stretch defense for a big. That said from fallowing Jerome Hunter I think he has a nice stroke from 3...certainly someone who could have knocked down a couple of those corner 3s McRoberts passed up. Race I think can stretch defense too.  I do think Archie wants guys to fit that defense first and long armed guys that can defend and get to the basket. You know I don’t know the numbers to back it up but I’ve always thought guys with compact releases (shorter arms/guys) have less motion and thus easier to replicate a consistent shot and release. I definitely could be wrong see Kevin Durant but he might just be an outlier. Certainly anyone that practices endlessly at it can be a good shooter..but I just wonder if there is any correlation..and thus why guys Archie might recruit might not naturally be great shooters. I would love to have a couple though no doubt...someone like Blackmon if they don’t hurt us on defense. After all look at Iowa...full of shooters and that isn’t helping them run away with B1G. I thought Poole would kill us from 3 but his ability to get to the rim was amazing tonight. That is what beat us...him and Matthews agressive taking it to the basket.

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am just looking at next year and our guards will be Durham, Green, RP and Franklin and none are considered shooters. We might hit some outside shots but we have none who when they shoot you are surprised when they miss.

Oh really......nice to meet you Nostradamus.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We do have Damezi. He also brought in Fitzner who suppose to stretch defense for a big. That said from fallowing Jerome Hunter I think he has a nice stroke from 3...certainly someone who could have knocked down a couple of those corner 3s McRoberts passed up. Race I think can stretch defense too.  I do think Archie wants guys to fit that defense first and long armed guys that can defend and get to the basket. You know I don’t know the numbers to back it up but I’ve always thought guys with compact releases (shorter arms/guys) have less motion and thus easier to replicate a consistent shot and release. I definitely could be wrong see Kevin Durant but he might just be an outlier. Certainly anyone that practices endlessly at it can be a good shooter..but I just wonder if there is any correlation..and thus why guys Archie might recruit might not naturally be great shooters.

To your point. CAM has only been here 1 1/2 yr.  It's obvious he's a Defense first coach.  As you say, "short arm" guys don't have the physical attributes to play his D the way he wants. Shooting can be developed(ie VO, Yogi).  We have a good coaching staff and hopefully it's just a matter of time.  I have to admit though, McBob and even Fitz make me question this though.

9 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

To your point. CAM has only been here 1 1/2 yr.  It's obvious he's a Defense first coach.  As you say, "short arm" guys don't have the physical attributes to play his D the way he wants. Shooting can be developed(ie VO, Yogi).  We have a good coaching staff and hopefully it's just a matter of time.  I have to admit though, McBob and even Fitz make me question this though.

Well Mcbob is a walk on and I think getting the most out of his potential...pretty amazing he plays good defense considering how long he played under Crean...I mean look at what became of Green. Fitz couldn’t getvminutes at St Mary’s...he isn’t quick enough release to get a shot off at B1G level. He is a big that buys us minutes for Juwan honestly.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Durham & Phinisee are both over 40% from 3. No reason to think they won't be even better next season.

4 hours ago, Cutter said:

Why not both

I think we need to be careful with the 2020 class since Lander, Furst and Clark are in the 2021 class.  If KB comes, I don’t see him or TJD as 1 and done.  I’m not sure how many scholarships we will have just based off of graduations, but we want to make sure we have room for all of those kids if they want to come aboard.  Either way I trust in CAM, so we will see.

Archived