Justin Smith’s dad last night

23 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Why do parents feel the need to come out publicly like this?  smh  This helps absolutely no one.   Not to mention the damage it does to the program recruiting wise.   Justin has a bright future at IU.  Shut the hell up Dad!!!

Go Hoosiers!!!

I think Nojel Eastern's mom's posts have escalated his career progression to the NBA. :coffee:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Just another example of social media being used in the wrong way...he's a parent he should be able to talk man to man with the coach about any concerns.

He can talk to Archie all he wants. Archie's job is to win games, and at this point Justin Smith isolating isn't "winning" anything.

Someone mentioned that the post has been taken down, but the damage is already done. What damage? If the time stamp on this was this morning, then it was up for what, an hour?

It has been extended due to a poster on this board choosing to re-post it. How many of the recruits that potentially would have been affected are even going to have seen this on a Monday morning? An example of social media creating more of an issue than it should have been, had this just been allowed to die out.

What I do think can be a positive from all this is if CAM addresses the concerns to the team. Families need to have meetings periodically to air out concerns and grievances. If Smith really is having issues with Romeo, his role or whatever, it needs to be handled now. If allowed to fester, it will become a bigger cancer to the team. If Smith is going to go the passive aggressive route and not speak up, imo it's better to recognize that now and minimize the impact his behaviors could have on the team.

Dad needs to shut up. He is supposed to be the adult in this equation. If he has a concern about his son, go to the coaches and talk in person, not whine through social media. This really makes him look bad, and if this is the type of guidance Justin is getting from home, I feel sorry for him.

51 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

On the season, Justin is third on the team in both shot attempts and scoring. His defense, rebounding and 8+ points per game are serving a very valuable role for this team.

Family members should stay off Twitter and message boards. Nothing good can come from it.

This. 

Justin has been improving gradually and he is getting shots.

His dad's public comments were in poor taste, ill considered, counter-productive, and undoubtedly out of a hyped up, frustrated dad's point of view. There will almost certainly be a discussion with him following those public comments, and probably with Justin. That is not a good look at all. Justin just needs to keep up the work, he has been getting better offensively, and he's already doing pretty well defensively.

Sad thing is...I think Justin played one of his best games yesterday. When he was defending Bradz and Poole he gave them fits. He also had some nice second chance scores and rebounds. Stuff happens after a loss....I think this blows over. Justin needs to work on that corner 3....or someone needs to....if I see another wide open corner 3 passed up after Green or Romeo drives and dishes.....I will pull my hair out.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

One thing that adds to this.....is Justin being recruited over?  I mean think about it.  

He's been playing better, but I don't know. I will say with Jerome/Thompson coming back, TJD already committed, and potentially Brooks coming in (lethal scorer) it could get interesting.

17 minutes ago, rico said:

One thing that adds to this.....is Justin being recruited over?  I mean think about it.  

I don't see this....well unless he regresses. He plays perhaps the best defense of anyone on the team. He really locked down guys yesterday....it was only when McRoberts got matched upon someone that got past us. I think 100% of this is his dad was upset with the Illinois game more than the Michigan game. Michigan we lost so things bubble over but I'm thinking he would like to see us run some pick n roll for Smith to take it to the basket....that said early in the year when he drove...he ran over people and did not find the open roller. He needs to develop that knock down jumper and he needs to cut and move to openings when Juwan drives....Romeo and Juwan will find cutters. He isn't refined enough to have plays run for him. That said I can't see anyone stepping in and making up for his defense. I almost expect us to see Keion get significant minutes at the 2. Smith needs to look at Anunoby and how he affected the game. Lights out defense and a guy that would play without the basketball and cut and score...and at times could knock down that open 3. If Smith develops that...he can be in the NBA.

23 minutes ago, SIHoosier26 said:

He's been playing better, but I don't know. I will say with Jerome/Thompson coming back, TJD already committed, and potentially Brooks coming in (lethal scorer) it could get interesting.

That was my point.

Lets not overlook the fact that is important as to how Romeo and Juwan react to this.  For that matter, how do the other players who aren't featured handle it.  

Does it become a "At least Justin gets to play" thing to some of the guys deep on the bench.

Dad committed a cardinal sin in dealing with frustration here.  And chances are the impacts will be more negative than positive.

1 minute ago, rico said:

That was my point.

In sports, you recruit to get the best players.  Every national championship team does this.  Duke has 4 and 5 stars coming off the bench. Kentucky does as well.  UNC does as well.  Michigan has 4 stars not playing. And on and on and on.   I think recruiting the best players year in and out should happen.  Recruiting while there is no plan with no scholarships is dumb. You always look to sign the best players you can get.    Every high major program tries this and the best teams do it.  

Archie is hired to recruit/develop players and play those players that gives us the best chance to win. He's halfway into his 2nd season. Mr. Smith when you find  your way to this board and are reading this I know you entrusted your son to a different coach. However you also said yes to Archie. You've just made the dumbest decision to take this public. No good will come out of this and now if I'm Justin....I'm feeling awkward around the guys. Good move Mr. Smith. How about you, Nojel Eastern's mom and Trent Frazier's Uncle from Illinois all go out and get a drink together. Discuss how you think you know more than these coaches.

What a joke. It's bad because Justin is really coming on after a bad start and his Dad just chose to stunt that. 

7 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

In sports, you recruit to get the best players.  Every national championship team does this.  Duke has 4 and 5 stars coming off the bench. Kentucky does as well.  UNC does as well.  Michigan has 4 stars not playing. And on and on and on.   I think recruiting the best players year in and out should happen.  Recruiting while there is no plan with no scholarships is dumb. You always look to sign the best players you can get.    Every high major program tries this and the best teams do it.  

Really?  Wow, I never realized this.  Thanks for filling me in.

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Lets not overlook the fact that is important as to how Romeo and Juwan react to this.  For that matter, how do the other players who aren't featured handle it.  

Does it become a "At least Justin gets to play" thing to some of the guys deep on the bench.

Dad committed a cardinal sin in dealing with frustration here.  And chances are the impacts will be more negative than positive.

That is very true as well.  Good thoughts.

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I second that 5fouls.....I'm a former HS Softball and Travel Softball coach and reading this from a parent makes me absolutely cringe!!! I can specifically remember 6 specific parents throughout 18 years of coaching  like this one. 5 of the 6 players involved were angry for their parents actions. Needless to say, those players did not last long at HS or Travel......

8 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I second that 5fouls.....I'm a former HS Softball and Travel Softball coach and reading this from a parent makes me absolutely cringe!!! I can specifically remember 6 specific parents throughout 18 years of coaching  like this one. 5 of the 6 players involved were angry for their parents actions. Needless to say, those players did not last long at HS or Travel......

Seems a bit out of character....emotional...which to me is why I think this stems from the Illinois game more so....being that was against an opponent that he might have got more feed back from people he knows watching the game and commenting etc...not just his own feelings playing a part but reacting to what others around him saying if he started at Illinois he would be featured etc. Then we lose at Michigan and it boils over. Heck even I was frustrated by our inability to convert on offense those first 10 minutes of the game. Justin could have missed layups just as much as Romeo or Juwan...but those guys normally finish 75% of those shots at the rim....it just didn't happen last night. I think he get's over it...and most importantly hope Justin understands his role on the team and how he can contribute more even without the offense ran for him. Do those things and he should be scoring double figures. He is still very young..sophomore who didn't even play every game his freshman year. He had some hype coming into the season but I think that was more about his athleticism not his game. If he can turn that into offense he will be just fine where he is!

Verdell Jones' dad clashed with Tom Crean, many, many times during Verdell's freshman year. Dad took many trips (not that far from Champaingn) to take issue with Crean as to how he was utilizing Verdell.  The big difference, is all this was done behind closed doors in coaches' office.  Not on social media.  By the time Verdell became an upperclassman... all of this was swept under the rug. No greater testament, was the kick out to Watford for "The Watshot".

---------------------------------------

In terms of social media.  Don't think for a minute that Indiana University does not monitor social media.  Probably the reason the tweet got deleted.  Same thing happened with Yogi.  His mom (DocLibby) was very active when Yogi was a Hoosier.  She once tweeted something that I recognized as an NCAA violation.  By the time I contacted IU's compliance office.... they had already talked to Yogi's mom and the tweet had been deleted. 

2 hours ago, rico said:

It's certainly a consideration.  But, if a player with two full years of major college experience (as a starter no less) can't outplay a freshman, either he's just not that good or the young.guy is outstanding.

Makes you wonder...since Justin and his family were recruited and built relationships with Crean and not Archie, if Crean was still coach and having Juwan and Romeo be the two scoring options for the team, would Justin’s dad still lash out like that? It always seems easier for parents to be displeased with their child’s team and the role they play if there was a coaching change. Not saying what he posted was was right by any means, I think what he did was ridiculous. I’d be asking his dad why his son isn’t able to put that 48 inch vertical to good use...Justin does some great things for us and has seemed to have come around lately, but definitely hasn’t lived up to the hype he had built around him in the offseason. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Seems a bit out of character....emotional...which to me is why I think this stems from the Illinois game more so....being that was against an opponent that he might have got more feed back from people he knows watching the game and commenting etc...not just his own feelings playing a part but reacting to what others around him saying if he started at Illinois he would be featured etc. Then we lose at Michigan and it boils over. Heck even I was frustrated by our inability to convert on offense those first 10 minutes of the game. Justin could have missed layups just as much as Romeo or Juwan...but those guys normally finish 75% of those shots at the rim....it just didn't happen last night. I think he get's over it...and most importantly hope Justin understands his role on the team and how he can contribute more even without the offense ran for him. Do those things and he should be scoring double figures. He is still very young..sophomore who didn't even play every game his freshman year. He had some hype coming into the season but I think that was more about his athleticism not his game. If he can turn that into offense he will be just fine where he is!

It could also stem from the culmination of attacks some of the fanbase had for his son over the first 12-13 games. I'd be interested to see the context of the tweets, all I can find on his twitter page is one reply to an inside the hall tweet. 

10 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Makes you wonder...since Justin and his family were recruited and built relationships with Crean and not Archie, if Crean was still coach and having Juwan and Romeo be the two scoring options for the team, would Justin’s dad still lash out like that? It always seems easier for parents to be displeased with their child’s team and the role they play if there was a coaching change. Not saying what he posted was was right by any means, I think what he did was ridiculous. I’d be asking his dad why his son isn’t able to put that 48 inch vertical to good use...Justin does some great things for us and has seemed to have come around lately, but definitely hasn’t lived up to the hype he had built around him in the offseason. 

Crean wouldn't have gotten Romeo so it is a moot point.  He probably wouldn't be complaining because he would be one of our top options.  

Archived