Justin Smith’s dad last night

7 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Crean wouldn't have gotten Romeo so it is a moot point.  He probably wouldn't be complaining because he would be one of our top options.  

Agree with the point that Crean wouldn’t have gotten Romeo anyways. I thought about that after i posted, ha. I think I was just saying that let’s say Crean DID get Romeo...would his dad have still been feeling the same way if Crean, who was the coach Justin came to play for, was still at IU? Seems easier for him to throw a fit about it since Archie didn’t recruit his son. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Agree with the point that Crean wouldn’t have gotten Romeo anyways. I thought about that after i posted, ha. I think I was just saying that let’s say Crean DID get Romeo...would his dad have still been feeling the same way if Crean, who was the coach Justin came to play for, was still at IU? Seems easier for him to throw a fit about it since Archie didn’t recruit his son. 

Well, if Mr Smith is unhappy that MI had 4 in double figures, while IU had 2. How would he feel about the TN-GA game where TN had 5 in double figures, while GA had one? And, oh yeah, that ended 96 to 50.

Tweeting that out publicly was completely wrong. You handle those things behind closed doors. 

With that said, Smith's Dad does raise an interesting question. In my opinion there is no doubt that part of what is holding this team back is the lack of scorers/play-makers beyond Morgan and Langford. Phinisee being out obviously hurts, but I felt the only real difference between Michigan and IU was that Michigan had four guys that were offensive threats and IU only has two. Having four guys the defense has to account for makes you scramble at times and really opens the floor. 

The question is, does IU rely on those two guys because others aren't/can't consistently make plays and shots, or is it that others aren't/can't consistently makes plays because we rely on and run everything through Morgan and Langford? I tend to think it's first one. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Crean really didn't run plays for Anunoby either...?

I love Justin...and I didn't dog on him when he was struggling.  Obviously, Archie likes him enough for him to start and I like the improvement I see in his game.  He's a very nice defender and he's better at being an opportunistic scorer.  Hasn't taken many threes but showed he can hit them.

That said, dad...word of advice here...never tweet in the heat of the moment.  Especially when your son starts for a high-profile college basketball team.  Obviously, you thought better of it later, but had you taken the time to breathe before you tweeted, we wouldn't have to have this discussion.

Reminds me of some of the silly posts seen during our game threads.🤡

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Tweeting that out publicly was completely wrong. You handle those things behind closed doors. 

With that said, Smith's Dad does raise an interesting question. In my opinion there is no doubt that part of what is holding this team back is the lack of scorers/play-makers beyond Morgan and Langford. Phinisee being out obviously hurts, but I felt the only real difference between Michigan and IU was that Michigan had four guys that were offensive threats and IU only has two. Having four guys the defense has to account for makes you scramble at times and really opens the floor. 

The question is, does IU rely on those two guys because others aren't/can't consistently make plays and shots, or is it that others aren't/can't consistently makes plays because we rely on and run everything through Morgan and Langford? I tend to think it's first one. 

No, the question is why doesn't Justin make more of his minutes.  Maybe his Dad can show us how it is done.  Smith has talent, he lacks swagger.

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Crean really didn't run plays for Anunoby either...?

I love Justin...and I didn't dog on him when he was struggling.  Obviously, Archie likes him enough for him to start and I like the improvement I see in his game.  He's a very nice defender and he's better at being an opportunistic scorer.  Hasn't taken many threes but showed he can hit them.

That said, dad...word of advice here...never tweet in the heat of the moment.  Especially when your son starts for a high-profile college basketball team.  Obviously, you thought better of it later, but had you taken the time to breathe before you tweeted, we wouldn't have to have this discussion.

Reminds me of some of the silly posts seen during our game threads.🤡

Maybe he'd had a few and got worked up. It's a good thing I don't have twitter.

society has just changed so much.  i miss the old days where a parent knew better than to question the college coach.  i don't care how good the kid is.  i'd tell Mr. Smith that i am the coach.  i do what i think is best for IU bball.  if he is not happy with it, i'll help his son find another destination, but that if he (Mr. Smith) continued to stir up trouble on my team, his son will not have a choice about his future on the team.    

Hey, Mr. Edward Smith.  A 48 inch max vertical, makes not a Victor Oladipo.  I love your kid.  Think he is great, and has tremendous potential.  And have even defended him on this very forum in the past.  And will continue to do so.   HOWEVER,   time to admit..... Justin's got work to do.  I understand that. But more importantly, coach understands that too. 

I remember Troy's mom and aunt? tweeting all the time. Not that big of a deal. They played well at the #2 team's place after being down big early. The tide is going to turn sooner than later, with or without Justin scoring double digits. Just need ANYTHING from the bench. 

Justin has made some outstanding plays for IU this year.  Many of his thunderous dunks have come by way of put backs or off assists.  He has also hit some 3's.  The one difference I see that separates Justin's play from that of Morgan and Romeo is the ability to create his own shot.  I'm sure there is no need to elaborate on this in terms of Morgan's play this year and Romeo has certainly proven his ability to drive the ball and create on the fly.  Obviously, just my opinion but it seems Justin is still lacking the ability to finish when creating his own shot.  As others have stated, Justin's game is getting better and better and I think that is due, at least in part, to the fact he is sticking to what he does best and not forcing things.

36 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I remember Troy's mom and aunt? tweeting all the time. Not that big of a deal. They played well on the road, to the #2 in the country, down big early. The tide is going to turn sooner than later, with or without Justin scoring double digits. Just need ANYTHING from the bench. 

Yes I was thinking of those public comments including Troy's mom's profanity laced tirade. Also not a good look, and it went away and Troy ended up doing great. 

It wasn't a good look, but we're probably making more of this then CAM will. He's had to deal with stuff like this before, and probably will again. Goes with the territory and all. 

End point for me, as I think it's important in this thread -- Justin has been coming along well. He's getting there.

1 hour ago, CapnRon said:

Passionate father made a mistake.  Not a big deal.  Hope he learns from this.  Move along everybody.

Nothing wrong with a father getting worked up about his son.  Should have kept it behind closed doors, like Verdell Jones dad did.

I am moving along.... because I think a lot about Justin and his potential. 

Some things seem to never change over time. From the Archives :P0030146

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think the Michigan game was a great example of why the answer is the first one. Our team was NIT level on the floor when Juwan/Romeo went out and it showed (was the main differential in the game when they sat really). Mr. Smith's comments came at an ironic time...all of us can see how important Romeo/Juwan are by just watching the games ourselves. That's why all the comments are so one sided in disagreement with Mr. Smiths take. 

On the flip side, everyone seems in agreement Justin IS making great strides and is a big part of what we do still. Just a strange judgment and comment out of nowhere.

Mr. Smith,

1.  As a Dad, it’s clear you are loving your son

2.  Parents, out of deep love for their children, sometimes react in ways they wish the could retract

3.  I am thrilled your son is at IU

4.  Justin is a vital part of this team, and NOBODY will stand in his way of scoring

5.  Justin is a freak athlete

6.  Please hang with this coaching staff and university 

Sincerely,

An IU fan and Justin Smith fan

Too bad this happened being that Smith is finally played his way out of a really shaky stretch to begin the year and looked poised to keep taking positive steps forward, which will hopefully continue. Like others alluded to, it hard not to to take this kind of public criticism as a shot across the bow of the coaching staff about the future. These three things crossed my mind after reading it:

1. IU should rarely have a play that doesn't run through Romeo or Juwan. Period. Aside from Rob, nobody on this team has shown the ability to consistently make plays or score with the ball in their hands. I actually get very frustrated when Romeo doesn't get a touch on the offensive end. That doesn't mean has to score, but we're stupid not to make the defense reaction to his or Juwan's skill set. 

2. Just because the ball runs through certain guys doesn't mean others aren't aren't scoring options. If a player wants to score points without they ball, then they find a way to effectively to cut to the basket...get in rebounding possession to put backs....screen and roll effectively to the rim.....spread and shoot from the perimeter. Saying a coach doesn't want your kid to score is ridiculous considering all the ways a player can contribute without being the focal point of an offense. And every offense NEEDS guys to fill these rolls to be successful.

3. Justin kind of reminds me of a young Troy Williams. Still wild and unpredictable attacking off the dribble as a sophmore. Weak with his grip on the ball around the rim. Unsure of how to take advantage of that massive vertical leap when attacking the lane. I actually think Justin has a better perimeter shot than Troy, but we haven't seen him look to shoot it consistently. And clearly, things didn't go well early in the season when we tried to work the ball through Justin. He just isn't ready to be that kind of player yet. Neither was Vic....or OG....or Troy when they were his age.

It's really too bad dad has become impatient enough to make his (and maybe his son's?) frustrations public. 

Just my $.02. 

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

It’s an interesting question, even though I also think it’s the first reason.  Whatever it is, Archie’s offense just hasnt really clicked since he got here.  Seems that it’s likely to be a personnel issue, but our lack of shooters now and for the foreseeable future is always in the back of my mind.  

Makes me chuckle sometimes that all we wanted was some defense when Crean was here, and now that Archie’s brought that, all we want is some shooting. 

11 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

The question I have is this, when he wrote of players not being comfortable in the offense was that his opinion based on observation or is that what Justin is telling him?  I sure hope it’s his opinion and not how Justin really feels. 

And these are the questions that will be posed by fans, opposing coaches, recruiting trail,etc....and why his post does have potential implications. Not saying they absolutely will....but we all know in the recruiting game the smallest hint of doubt could be the difference. It's like Holtman at Ohio St with Carton. He guaranteed starting role next year. IU or Michigan couldn't or wouldn't. Guess who won? 

Really disappointed in this guy. Never ever show weakness in public. Always handle it privately. 

Archived