Justin Smith’s dad last night

13 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

The question I have is this, when he wrote of players not being comfortable in the offense was that his opinion based on observation or is that what Justin is telling him?  I sure hope it’s his opinion and not how Justin really feels. 

Hopefully this was just Mr Smith talking and being frustrated after a loss. If JS is truly unhappy, I'm not sure he'd be showing the improvement that he has. These were CAM's comments from his radio show:

— On Justin Smith cutting his turnover rate: “He’s playing a lot smarter. I think, in general, he’s learning where he can be successful. He’s also really, really concentrating on a couple things we’ve emphasized. He’s also as improved defensively as any guy I’ve coached in a year. If you watch the game film from last year, he’s been unbelievable concentrating his game defensively on some of the best players in our league. I thought he did a fantastic job yesterday against Brazdeikis. … He is really learning how to play defense the way that we’ve taught it. He’s great there. He’s rebounding the ball better right now, as well.”

Hopefully, his father can recognize this improvement and just be supportive going forward.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Hopefully this was just Mr Smith talking and being frustrated after a loss. If JS is truly unhappy, I'm not sure he'd be showing the improvement that he has. These were CAM's comments from his radio show:

— On Justin Smith cutting his turnover rate: “He’s playing a lot smarter. I think, in general, he’s learning where he can be successful. He’s also really, really concentrating on a couple things we’ve emphasized. He’s also as improved defensively as any guy I’ve coached in a year. If you watch the game film from last year, he’s been unbelievable concentrating his game defensively on some of the best players in our league. I thought he did a fantastic job yesterday against Brazdeikis. … He is really learning how to play defense the way that we’ve taught it. He’s great there. He’s rebounding the ball better right now, as well.”

Hopefully, his father can recognize this improvement and just be supportive going forward.

Your last sentence is probably what Archie was thinking, he just didn't say it. 

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

What's so confounding is that Mr. Smith is publicly griping while his son is actually starting, getting lots of PT, and showing real improvement since the beginning of the year.  It seems like he (dad) is focused on scoring.  Perhaps he is also more focused on Justin's stats and professional prospects than that of his total improvement and success as well as that of the team.

8 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

What's so confounding is that Mr. Smith is publicly griping while his son is actually starting, getting lots of PT, and showing real improvement since the beginning of the year.  It seems like he (dad) is focused on scoring.  Perhaps he is also more focused on Justin's stats and professional prospects than that of his total improvement and success as well as that of the team.

Agreed. Justin is one season of development and strength training away from being a potential double-double machine and a lock-down defender. That will go a long way toward his future career prospects.

22 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Agreed. Justin is one season of development and strength training away from being a potential double-double machine and a lock-down defender. That will go a long way toward his future career prospects.

Well, evidently that development isn't coming fast enough for his Dad.

25 minutes ago, rico said:

Well, evidently that development isn't coming fast enough for his Dad.

Which is why this is so stupid. Smith and Jalen Brunson grew up as very good friends. Brunson stayed at Nova for 3 years, won a title and is now logging 15 mpg as a backup n the NBA. Getting to the league (if that's the goal) has different paths for all. Someone should remind eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee of that. 

Justin is just learning to play hard.  He was known at Stevenson to have all the ability in the world, but go 80%.  Once he plays through contact and through the whistle his offense involvement will take off.  

His dad is being a dad....however; why post on Twitter?  His dad seems like a good guy and he is really into his kids.  He refs park district ball in Buffalo Grove and doesn't really know the rules of Basketball.  With that being said he is defending his belief that his son needs to be given the ball more- again, why tweet what he did??? If anything Romeo and Morgan need the ball more and need to be more selfish.

The offense is fine and producing open good shots.  The boys need to finish around the rim and open shots.  One thing that is hurting is the easy rebounds going through Justin and Evan's hands.

20 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Justin is just learning to play hard.  He was known at Stevenson to have all the ability in the world, but go 80%.  Once he plays through contact and through the whistle his offense involvement will take off.  

His dad is being a dad....however; why post on Twitter?  His dad seems like a good guy and he is really into his kids.  He refs park district ball in Buffalo Grove and doesn't really know the rules of Basketball.  With that being said he is defending his belief that his son needs to be given the ball more- again, why tweet what he did??? If anything Romeo and Morgan need the ball more and need to be more selfish.

The offense is fine and producing open good shots.  The boys need to finish around the rim and open shots.  One thing that is hurting is the easy rebounds going through Justin and Evan's hands.

Good post.  Thanks .

5 hours ago, IUDan93 said:

If he sticks with it, Justin can have a similar impact as Morgan when he is a senior.

I beg your pardon, Morgan came into his own as a junior.  And would say Juwan has had an impact since his first time on campus.  But I love the comparison....Justin is on his way.

Archived