Maryland Pregame Thread

rbkl

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Making sound decisions about your health is hardly a protected life. 

There comes a time when you need to make a decision to advance your life at risk instead of protecting it! I cringe sometimes at the things my son does and yet he can do things few people can do! I myself age group  qualified for the Obstacle course world championships by finishing 1st in a 15k race in my 60’s, can you even walk 15k in your protected world?

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

There comes a time when you need to make a decision to advance your life at risk instead of protecting it! I cringe sometimes at the things my son does and yet he can do things few people can do! I myself age group  qualified for the Obstacle course world championships by finishing 1st in a 15k race in my 60’s, can you even walk 15k in your protected world?

So still avoiding science lol. 

And ITT apparently walking long distances is similar to returning too soon from a concussion. 

And despite having a bad knee from a car accident(something that didn’t kill me but certainly didn’t make me stronger) I can walk 15k. In fact I pretty much do everyday at work. 

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Take the he-man contest to the PMs. Thanks. 

16 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So still avoiding science lol. 

And ITT apparently walking long distances is similar to returning too soon from a concussion. 

And despite having a bad knee from a car accident(something that didn’t kill me but certainly didn’t make me stronger) I can walk 15k. In fact I pretty much do everyday at work. 

Not avoiding science, I am after all an engineer, and no, I have not read the science behind concussion protocol, I am however sure that the science is just as valid as the science behind the new products when I was writing protocols for the approval of manufacturing processes of medical devices to treat cancer. The point I’m trying to make is that we can try and protect our lives at the expense of our lives!

4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Not avoiding science, I am after all an engineer, and no, I have not read the science behind concussion protocol, I am however sure that the science is just as valid as the science behind the new products when I was writing protocols for the approval of manufacturing processes of medical devices to treat cancer. The point I’m trying to make is that we can try and protect our lives at the expense of our lives!

And you are assuming with this statement that Phinisee somehow isn’t happy with his life while listening to doctors orders. And doesn’t view this time as living his life. 

Sorry just saw your post CTMDJ

This has got to be the most asinine conversation that has ever evolved on any of the iterations of HSN.

A bunch of people who have nothing to lose other than the possibility of puffing their collective chests out if good ol’ IU wins a game are:

-demanding that the program explain their rationale for protecting a player 

- demanding that private health information be divulged because they don’t believe or accept that the player could be injured as seriously as he may be 

- holding themselves out as medical experts because they have a science background, or because they themselves have had a concussion, and by gosh, every situation is exactly the same.

Instead, how about:

- The University doesn’t have to divulge anything about their protocols, procedures or standards. Regardless of how much modern society bitches or otherwise demands via social media the information, they really aren’t entitled to any of this, no matter how loud they are 

- Maybe look at the big picture instead of what’s right in front of your nose. So what if we lose a game or two if that extra time off allows Rob to come back full strength by doing so. Who is to say that him coming back tomorrow night makes us more likely to win. If he is not cleared to play, it may be safe to say that his practice time is limited as well. If he hasn’t practiced full-go for 3 weeks, how much of an impact is he going to have on this game?

- Not making this into a bigger issue than it is. For every worry that this will negatively affect recruiting, I can turn that around to say, “coach cares about my long term future, and wants me to have a clean bill of health when the pro scouts start digging into my background.”  Spin doctoring can go any way you want to position it.

The bottom line is that Rob is not going to play until he is fully cleared and no matter how much hand wringing, social media bashing, radio complaining happens, it really is wasted effort. Won’t speed up the process and really looks, like I said in my first sentence, asinine.

IU's Concussion Policy 20 pages long                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-18CProto65_IndianaU_Protocol_20170803.pdf 

1 hour ago, Indytime said:

IU's Concussion Policy 20 pages long                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-18CProto65_IndianaU_Protocol_20170803.pdf 

I'm not sure that "scientifically" that is long enough. 👨‍🔬

12 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

No point in arguing with someone whose only response is “duhhh you’re not a doctor” (which is really the only response anyone has been able to offer thus far).  I hate being that guy, so I’ll let someone else explain the logical fallacy of argument from authority to you.

Regardless, I’m not going to take that argument at face value, especially when it’s pretty obvious that IU’s doctors are following a different protocol than most other program’s doctors and legal/PR considerations are also being taken into account.

Heard on Assembly Call last night that IU is just following the NCAA protocol and that each institution has the right to have their own protocol.  It just sounds like IU is going to follow what the NCAA puts out there as the right protocol to follow.

I don't see how its that entitled to want to know how concussion protocol is handled at IU. It's clearly different than most programs. I don't want/need to know anything specific about Rob. It's more about Rob being the live example in what is clearly a new concussion protocol. I'd just like to have it explained to me and then people could draw their own conclusions from that. 

Archived