Maryland Pregame Thread

rbkl

On paper, the two teams seem to match up fairly closely.

Indiana (12-3, 3-1) Kenpom #27, Adjusted Offense #36, Adjusted Defense #33  

Maryland (12-3, 3-1): Kenpom #28, Adjusted Offense #28, Adjusted Defense #45

Certainly, this game isn't a must win, but if Indiana wants an opportunity to have a chance at winning the league then this game is extremely important.

Maryland also faces Minnesota tonight at 7:00 pm EST on BTN for anyone that wants to do some early homework!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Justin Smith takes 38 shots from the field on his way to 59 points.  No one else scores more than 5 points, but IU still wins the game 76-71.

Afterwards, Edward Smith tweets "This is the kind of offensive balance that I was talking about.  Go Hoosiers!"...

44 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Justin Smith takes 38 shots from the field on his way to 59 points.  No one else scores more than 5 points, but IU still wins the game 76-71.

Afterwards, Edward Smith tweets "This is the kind of offensive balance that I was talking about.  Go Hoosiers!"...

i love this

2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I'll repeat here what I said in another thread, this is the kind of game we have to win to separate us from the middle of the pack and put us in the top four in the B1G.  One could make the argument this is the most important game of the year so far (and not just because it is our next game).  

i get the point for sure.  there aren't many road B1G games that are very winnable.  this is a tough one, but winnable.  important game for sure.  hard to say that at Michigan or at Michigan St. is important for example as we are very unlikely to win those.  

I agree completely because if we can win all of our home conference games and then steal most of the road wins besides Michigan, Michigan St, etc. Then we could be in a great position to make a run for the conference title. We need a great game from Green or Rob back for us to win Friday in my opinion

Game Preview

When: Friday, 1/11 at 7pm ET on FS1

Vegas: TBD

ESPN: #29 Indiana vs #31 Maryland. 36% chance of IU victory, expected margin of Maryland +4

KenPom: #27 Indiana vs #28 Maryland. 38% chance of IU victory with an expected score of Maryland 74, IU 70

Sagarin: #16 Indiana vs #33 Maryland

Scouting Report

IU

image.png.b648ca3f6e0631c19e36c652e15d454b.png

Maryland

image.png.575a4d70bb2a3ee1f68db8c49257b3ed.png

Maryland has a better offensive rating because they are a better offensive rebounding team and a better free throw shooting team. We will need to deny second chance opportunities and keep them off the foul line. Both teams rank low in turnovers, giving it up on 20% of their possessions. We shoot it better from 3 and much better from 2p range. Keep them off the offensive glass and don't foul, and we should be in good shape.

Defensively, Maryland does a better job of defending 2 point shots. They also block more shots and are a better defensive rebounding team. If Juwan could get Fernando in foul trouble, that would be huge for us. They don't turn the other team over very often, which is, of course, a good sign for us. We do a better job of creating turnovers and defending the three, which will be key against Cowan.

Anthony Cowan leads the Terps at 17ppg at 34% from 3, while averaging 4 assists per game. Bruno Fernando averages a double double with 15 points per game and 10 rebounds per game, and is going to be a load for Juwan or Justin to handle. Having De'Ron to body up to him would be huge, and Clifton may be used here, as well. Fernando is shooting 68% from the field. The Terps have another player averaging double figures, Jalen Smith at 12 ppg, and have two great shooters in Eric Ayala and Aaron Wiggins both over 40% from 3, with Ayala shooting 47%. We will need to do a better job against them than we did against Michigan's shooters.

13 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Good media friend of mine , who talked to Archie yesterday..... says Archie is "hopeful"  that Rob will be able to return for the Maryland game.

Hope so. 23/24 days out. At least 2 games to get  back in flow/game condition. At this point I'm just hopeful he's recovered by 1/19 game. That would be a full month.

On a side note. Certainly will be interesting to follow our concussion protocol. Will be curious to see if 3+ weeks is the new norm. What happens if someone goes out in Big Ten Tourney? Can we assume the player is done for the year?

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Hope so. 23/24 days out. At least 2 games to get  back in flow/game condition. At this point I'm just hopeful he's recovered by 1/19 game. That would be a full month.

On a side note. Certainly will be interesting to follow our concussion protocol. Will be curious to see if 3+ weeks is the new norm. What happens if someone goes out in Big Ten Tourney? Can we assume the player is done for the year?

Probably, yes, but not for NCAA tourney -- There is no set time, 3 weeks or otherwise, concussion protocol is player specific.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Concussion protocol is going to be based mostly off of symptoms...with a strong conservative lean.

1 hour ago, cohete15 said:

Concussion protocol is going to be based mostly off of symptoms...with a strong conservative lean.

Here's my only thing. Right after the game Archie said we'll be without RP for awhile. Obviously no way at the point could he have known the severity or symptoms. By saying "awhile" seems to me he knows there's a protocol in place (placed for him by IU). That's all. Back to Maryland. Big game for us if we want to finish in top 3 of Big 10. 

Archived