Maryland Pregame Thread

rbkl

Earlier I told the story how me and my brother was playing BB in the house and hit my head on the corner of the TV and my hair was soaked with blood.  Another time I remember at recess in 6th grade and I bumped heads hard with another kid.  All they did was take us to the nurses office and put ice on it and sent us back to class.  later that day we were playing football at our second recess.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What I find strange is that I have not heard about many other teams having people out with concussions.  Is it that we are just unlucky and have two kids sitting out months with one or is it other programs don't take the protocol like we do.  I think if they get to strict you will have players not telling the truth on how they feel and not report it if they get dinged up.

Other universities don't have a CYA mentality with this stuff because they didn't employ a loser like Kevin Wilson.

Nobody is saying concussions aren't serious. They are making the basic "logical" assumption that maybe our school is handling these things in a excessively overly cautious manner, when there have been many many examples where athletes are back within 2 to 3 weeks.

The fact that some people turn this conversation into an opportunity to be condescending, and insinuate that the people with these concerns, are lacking empathy for these kids comes across to me as the method of using "fake outrage" to be right/condescending in a conversation. Which shows a lack of integrity.

I wish people would understand the following. We aren't questioning if the kid is hurt or his/her best interests. We are asking what is it that IU knows that escapes 99% of other colleges out there? Why is the protocol this way? I mentioned earlier when news broke. It's now a full fledge story. Made it's way to radio and twitter is being lit up. Can't imagine this is what IU had in mind because now it's certainly going to have to be addressed. 

The solution to silencing people skeptical of our concussion protocol is to simply be forthcoming with what the protocol actually is. What tests are we doing post-concussion and what markers need to be hit for our medical staff to okay a player back into rotation? What measurements and exercises are we doing that indicate whether or not we pass or fail a player evaluation?

If the protocol is sound, skeptics like me should have no questions or leg to stand on. If we're being overly cautious because we are afraid of a lawsuit or the optics to the situation, that should stand out as obvious as well. The problem is leaving fans in the dark as to how this process actually plays out because then its easy for others to accuse skeptics that they don't care about player health or that they don't understand concussions/think they are a doctor.

If Rob is hurt, I don't want him to play. Full stop. But I saw his injury and it didn't look that severe. I am 100% willing to admit I don't know the details of his concussion or his medical information so it could have been worse than it appeared. But I have NEVER seen someone sit this long for a concussion, and so if Rob's concussion was indeed that bad it would quiet the criticism to let us know exactly what we do to gauge concussion recovery and if we are using measurable data to determine eligibility or just the personal opinion of a doctor. If its only opinions, then I am going to remain skeptical of what we're doing.

As I have said. I recently had brain surgery.  But there was no secret about.  People close to me told other people what was going on with me at the hospital.  Hell, everybody in my little rural area knew what was going on.  That is what I don't get.  Why is everything so "secretive" concerning these "mysterious" injuries with us.  Hell, a tweak of the ankle appears to be a career threatening injury.  Why so much secrecy?  I don't get it.

1 hour ago, CapnRon said:

Nobody is saying concussions aren't serious. They are making the basic "logical" assumption that maybe our school is handling these things in a excessively overly cautious manner, when there have been many many examples where athletes are back within 2 to 3 weeks.

The fact that some people turn this conversation into an opportunity to be condescending, and insinuate that the people with these concerns, are lacking empathy for these kids comes across to me as the method of using "fake outrage" to be right/condescending in a conversation. Which shows a lack of integrity.

Lol I’ll take the fake outrage over the actual outrage of the people that are outraged we are holding kids out of games “unnecessarily”. And lamenting being overly cautious. Must be nice to be able to diagnose concussions from watching a video. How much to these posters make working in the medical field?

6 minutes ago, rico said:

As I have said. I recently had brain surgery.  But there was no secret about.  People close to me told other people what was going on with me at the hospital.  Hell, everybody in my little rural area knew what was going on.  That is what I don't get.  Why is everything so "secretive" concerning these "mysterious" injuries with us.  Hell, a tweak of the ankle appears to be a career threatening injury.  Why so much secrecy?  I don't get it.

Law?

14 minutes ago, rico said:

I very much agree with your sentiment but HIPAA is going to keep us from ever knowing any helpful information related to a specific player. IUAD should explain and defend the protocol, and we could ideally take it from there. It's unfortunate how quickly people will reach to say you're trying to invade someone's privacy when there are legitimate questions to be asked.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

So Penix goes out in football and we know about it asap......but concussion protocol is a legal issue?

Google HIPAA. Plus do you honestly think Archie would want to come out here and say Robs out for weeks?  He’s keeping info close to the vest so teams have to prepare for him and green. 

2 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

I very much agree with your sentiment but HIPAA is going to keep us from ever knowing any helpful information related to a specific player. IUAD should explain and defend the protocol, and we could ideally take it from there. It's unfortunate how quickly people will reach to say you're trying to invade someone's privacy when there are legitimate questions to be asked.

Gotcha, the good old Hippa thingy.  

3 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah, I’ve had multiple concussions, and one I can guarantee was 100x worse than Rob’s bump on the head.  Strangely enough, my life somehow wasn’t ruined forever. Absolutely ridiculous how the NFL’s concussion issue has translated into this hysteria in other sports at every level.  It’s a shame for Rob that he’s being held out because the administration is afraid of a lawsuit... I’m sure he wants to play.  As usual, IU is more worried about covering its own *** than competing.  Soft as tissue paper.

Can't believe you didn't let the board know when you joined the medical staff for the basketball team! You seem to have this info that nobody else does. Crazy.

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

At some point does IU's very conservative approach to handling concussions hurt us in recruiting?  

I can't imagine a competitor being happy with this long of a layoff.  

That’s what I was thinking. Don’t come to IU we might end your career if you bump your head. 

Sure we wanna play tomorrow night? Lights might be to bright and give us headaches better forfeit,,

i know these types of injury’s aren’t to be takin lightly and I have no idea how bad Race got hit but watching Robs injury it truly looked like he barely got touched. Being completely honest I was really surprised he didn’t re enter the game and shocked they called it a concussion afterwards. Heck they didn’t even take him out the game right after it happened It was a few possessions later until they did. It seems a little over the top. I’ve never seen anything like this is any sport at any level  But hey I’m no doctor. Get better Rob!

This thread is kind of disturbing. I'm assuming most of us on this board are adults who, for the most part, are way past our prime for competing in any sport. Complaining about not having a kid ready to play for "your team" because of an injury that could potentially be career altering is oddly self-serving and a bit creepy. Let the kids heal, whatever the protocol is, and enjoy the team we put on the floor, win or lose. Love the game. Love the team. Whatever hurdles are put in front of them. 

9 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Can't believe you didn't let the board know when you joined the medical staff for the basketball team! You seem to have this info that nobody else does. Crazy.

Good one!  Every other medical staff in college basketball is clearing players with concussions after a week or two, but I’m sure there’s something IU’s medical staff knows about concussions that they don’t, especially with that absolutely BRUTAL hit Phinisee took to the head.  And it’s not like the IU athletic department has a history of making a mountain out of a molehill and shooting itself in the foot, so I’m sure the only intelligent response is to take their vague explanations as gospel.  

You are truly enlightened, I really can’t thank you enough for showing me the error of my ways.

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Good one!  Every other medical staff in college basketball is clearing players with concussions after a week or two, but I’m sure there’s something IU’s medical staff knows about concussions that they don’t, especially with that absolutely BRUTAL hit Phinisee took to the head.  And it’s not like the IU athletic department has a history of making a mountain out of a molehill and shooting itself in the foot, so I’m sure the only intelligent response is to take their vague explanations as gospel.  

You are truly enlightened, I really can’t thank you enough for showing me the error of my ways.

You’re welcome

18 minutes ago, BEKA said:

This thread is kind of disturbing. I'm assuming most of us on this board are adults who, for the most part, are way past our prime for competing in any sport. Complaining about not having a kid ready to play for "your team" because of an injury that could potentially be career altering is oddly self-serving and a bit creepy. Let the kids heal, whatever the protocol is, and enjoy the team we put on the floor, win or lose. Love the game. Love the team. Whatever hurdles are put in front of them. 

Missing the point...see CapNRons post above. I think that's where you'll find the reasonable majority camped out at currently. Hence the 8 likes 

24 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Georgetown hasn’t played Mourning in over 3 weeks because of a concussion. So clearly that was the result of Kevin Wilson too I suppose 

Archived