Maryland Pregame Thread

rbkl

26 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Good one!  Every other medical staff in college basketball is clearing players with concussions after a week or two, but I’m sure there’s something IU’s medical staff knows about concussions that they don’t, especially with that absolutely BRUTAL hit Phinisee took to the head.  And it’s not like the IU athletic department has a history of making a mountain out of a molehill and shooting itself in the foot, so I’m sure the only intelligent response is to take their vague explanations as gospel.  

You are truly enlightened, I really can’t thank you enough for showing me the error of my ways.

This all day. We aren't arguing the injury. Don't get things twisted here guys. We are asking what does IU know about brain injuries that escapes the rest of the NCAA? I idea that it's just dumb luck doesn't work. The probabilities just don't support. 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Georgetown hasn’t played Mourning in over 3 weeks because of a concussion. So clearly that was the result of Kevin Wilson too I suppose 

Great. 300+ teams.  So we have 3 examples and 2 are on one team. 4511 players this year. 2 on the same team is a chance of .0004433 Any other math you want to debate? The numbers don't add up. 

12 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Georgetown hasn’t played Mourning in over 3 weeks because of a concussion. So clearly that was the result of Kevin Wilson too I suppose 

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Great. 300+ teams.  So we have 3 examples and 2 are on one team. 4511 players this year. 2 on the same team is a chance of .0004433 Any other math you want to debate? The numbers don't add up. 

What Seeking6 said.  You’re also not going to convince me to disbelieve what I saw with my own eyes.  I went back and rewound it after it happened, Phinisee barely got touched.

Rumor on Peegs is that Race got knocked unconscious with a kick to the head in practice.  If that’s the case, taking weeks to months to recover makes more sense to me. I’m highly skeptical that the hit Phinisee took to the head was serious enough to merit him missing an entire month.  Considering the IU athletic department’s track record, I’m not buying it.

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

What Seeking6 said.  You’re also not going to convince me to disbelieve what I saw with my own eyes.  I went back and rewound it after it happened, Phinisee barely got touched.

Rumor on Peegs is that Race got knocked unconscious with a kick to the head in practice.  If that’s the case, taking weeks to months to recover makes more sense to me. I’m highly skeptical that the hit Phinisee took to the head was serious enough to merit him missing an entire month.  Considering the IU athletic department’s track record, I’m not buying it.

Man must be nice to be able to just deem yourself a doctor. I know all those silly med students taking years of schooling wish they could. 

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Lol pretty sure Iowa has a player get one also but yes you acting crazy and irrational certainly proves you are correct

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Man must be nice to be able to just deem yourself a doctor. I know all those silly med students taking years of schooling wish they could. 

No point in arguing with someone whose only response is “duhhh you’re not a doctor” (which is really the only response anyone has been able to offer thus far).  I hate being that guy, so I’ll let someone else explain the logical fallacy of argument from authority to you.

Regardless, I’m not going to take that argument at face value, especially when it’s pretty obvious that IU’s doctors are following a different protocol than most other program’s doctors and legal/PR considerations are also being taken into account.

13 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

No point in arguing with someone whose only response is “duhhh you’re not a doctor” (which is really the only response anyone has been able to offer thus far).  I hate being that guy, so I’ll let someone else explain the logical fallacy of argument from authority to you.

Regardless, I’m not going to take that argument at face value, especially when it’s pretty obvious that IU’s doctors are following a different protocol than most other program’s doctors and legal/PR considerations are also being taken into account.

It’s obvious yet you have no actual proof

25 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The relevant point isn't that you aren't a doctor. The relevant point is that you aren't Rob Phinisee's doctor, haven't examined him, have no idea regarding his symptoms.

It's unusual he's been out for so long with what seemed like a minor injury at the time. That's a fair statement. Making any conclusions beyond that is blind speculation unless you have inside information on his symptoms.

17 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Lol, well those three sentences sure clear things up.  

Can’t help if you can’t understand it, it’s pretty simple. A baseline is set, and the player has to meet that baseline to be cleared. Then they have to practice with no recurrence of symptoms. Clearly rob hasn’t done that yet. 

I for one am interested to know if there is something unique about the protocols set in place by IU.  Is it based on science and produced by physicians/practitioners/researchers utilizing best practice principles for concussion treatment or is it more driven by lawyers and an attitude of CYA?  I don't want any young man placed at risk for sake of a basketball game.  I also don't want a young player denied returning to play simply because a lawyer has determined it's better for IU.  The speculation appears driven by the void of information from those responsible for caring for RP and Race as to what milestones they have failed to accomplish in their recovery.  The lack of information is also fueling a lack of trust in those responsible.  I do not profess to know enough to be critical, but I and many others view the IU player situation as unique and statistically improbable based on the paucity BB teams around the country experiencing  the same dilemma.  Is IU just snakebit or is this situation fueled by overreaction and conservatism to the extreme?  This is an interesting topic and individuals on both sides deserve to voice opinions without denigrating one another.  

One does not have to be a physician or in the medical field to have a concern in this matter.  I happen to be a physician and deal with "legal medicine" every day.  Medical science changes and I don't practice the same way now as I was taught 30yrs ago during my residency.  Juries composed of non-medical individuals make decisions in malpractice cases every day. It is perfectly appropriate for anyone to question the "seemingly unique" situation IUBB is experiencing.  

2 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

I for one am interested to know if there is something unique about the protocols set in place by IU.  Is it based on science and produced by physicians/practitioners/researchers utilizing best practice principles for concussion treatment or is it more driven by lawyers and an attitude of CYA?  I don't want any young man placed at risk for sake of a basketball game.  I also don't want a young player denied returning to play simply because a lawyer has determined it's better for IU.  The speculation appears driven by the void of information from those responsible for caring for RP and Race as to what milestones they have failed to accomplish in their recovery.  The lack of information is also fueling a lack of trust in those responsible.  I do not profess to know enough to be critical, but I and many others view the IU player situation as unique and statistically improbable based on the paucity BB teams around the country experiencing  the same dilemma.  Is IU just snakebit or is this situation fueled by overreaction and conservatism to the extreme?  This is an interesting topic and individuals on both sides deserve to voice opinions without denigrating one another.  

One does not have to be a physician or in the medical field to have a concern in this matter.  I happen to be a physician and deal with "legal medicine" every day.  Medical science changes and I don't practice the same way now as I was taught 30yrs ago during my residency.  Juries composed of non-medical individuals make decisions in malpractice cases every day. It is perfectly appropriate for anyone to question the "seemingly unique" situation IUBB is experiencing.  

I think seemingly unique is the key here. 

Iowa, Rhode Island, Georgetown and USC have all had people out for concussions this year. The fact we have had 2 might be odd but it’s not a sign of anything nefarious as some people are trying to paint. Because apparently winning basketball games is more important than a kids health to some. 

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Making sound decisions about your health is hardly a protected life. 

And that seems to be the real question in this thread, who is making the decision based on what science? We seem to be holding players out far longer than everyone else?

6 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

And that seems to be the real question in this thread, who is making the decision based on what science? We seem to be holding players out far longer than everyone else?

Tons of science. Seriously just because you don’t know it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. There has been exhaustive research on concussions. 

And a general conclusion has been that despite not killing people they are bad and in no way make somebody stronger

Archived