Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Sign in to follow this  
rbkl

Maryland Pregame Thread

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

And that seems to be the real question in this thread, who is making the decision based on what science? We seem to be holding players out far longer than everyone else?

Tons of science. Seriously just because you don’t know it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. There has been exhaustive research on concussions. 

And a general conclusion has been that despite not killing people they are bad and in no way make somebody stronger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

And that seems to be the real question in this thread, who is making the decision based on what science? We seem to be holding players out far longer than everyone else?

Ha Ha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Making sound decisions about your health is hardly a protected life. 

There comes a time when you need to make a decision to advance your life at risk instead of protecting it! I cringe sometimes at the things my son does and yet he can do things few people can do! I myself age group  qualified for the Obstacle course world championships by finishing 1st in a 15k race in my 60’s, can you even walk 15k in your protected world?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

There comes a time when you need to make a decision to advance your life at risk instead of protecting it! I cringe sometimes at the things my son does and yet he can do things few people can do! I myself age group  qualified for the Obstacle course world championships by finishing 1st in a 15k race in my 60’s, can you even walk 15k in your protected world?

So still avoiding science lol. 

And ITT apparently walking long distances is similar to returning too soon from a concussion. 

And despite having a bad knee from a car accident(something that didn’t kill me but certainly didn’t make me stronger) I can walk 15k. In fact I pretty much do everyday at work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

There comes a time when you need to make a decision to advance your life at risk instead of protecting it! I cringe sometimes at the things my son does and yet he can do things few people can do! I myself age group  qualified for the Obstacle course world championships by finishing 1st in a 15k race in my 60’s, can you even walk 15k in your protected world?

Take the he-man contest to the PMs. Thanks. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So still avoiding science lol. 

And ITT apparently walking long distances is similar to returning too soon from a concussion. 

And despite having a bad knee from a car accident(something that didn’t kill me but certainly didn’t make me stronger) I can walk 15k. In fact I pretty much do everyday at work. 

Not avoiding science, I am after all an engineer, and no, I have not read the science behind concussion protocol, I am however sure that the science is just as valid as the science behind the new products when I was writing protocols for the approval of manufacturing processes of medical devices to treat cancer. The point I’m trying to make is that we can try and protect our lives at the expense of our lives!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Not avoiding science, I am after all an engineer, and no, I have not read the science behind concussion protocol, I am however sure that the science is just as valid as the science behind the new products when I was writing protocols for the approval of manufacturing processes of medical devices to treat cancer. The point I’m trying to make is that we can try and protect our lives at the expense of our lives!

And you are assuming with this statement that Phinisee somehow isn’t happy with his life while listening to doctors orders. And doesn’t view this time as living his life. 

Sorry just saw your post CTMDJ

Edited by Brass Cannon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

And you are assuming with this statement that Phinisee somehow isn’t happy with his life while listening to doctors orders. And doesn’t view this time as living his life. 

And what exactly are you assuming?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has got to be the most asinine conversation that has ever evolved on any of the iterations of HSN.

A bunch of people who have nothing to lose other than the possibility of puffing their collective chests out if good ol’ IU wins a game are:

-demanding that the program explain their rationale for protecting a player 

- demanding that private health information be divulged because they don’t believe or accept that the player could be injured as seriously as he may be 

- holding themselves out as medical experts because they have a science background, or because they themselves have had a concussion, and by gosh, every situation is exactly the same.

Instead, how about:

- The University doesn’t have to divulge anything about their protocols, procedures or standards. Regardless of how much modern society bitches or otherwise demands via social media the information, they really aren’t entitled to any of this, no matter how loud they are 

- Maybe look at the big picture instead of what’s right in front of your nose. So what if we lose a game or two if that extra time off allows Rob to come back full strength by doing so. Who is to say that him coming back tomorrow night makes us more likely to win. If he is not cleared to play, it may be safe to say that his practice time is limited as well. If he hasn’t practiced full-go for 3 weeks, how much of an impact is he going to have on this game?

- Not making this into a bigger issue than it is. For every worry that this will negatively affect recruiting, I can turn that around to say, “coach cares about my long term future, and wants me to have a clean bill of health when the pro scouts start digging into my background.”  Spin doctoring can go any way you want to position it.

The bottom line is that Rob is not going to play until he is fully cleared and no matter how much hand wringing, social media bashing, radio complaining happens, it really is wasted effort. Won’t speed up the process and really looks, like I said in my first sentence, asinine.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IU's Concussion Policy 20 pages long                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-18CProto65_IndianaU_Protocol_20170803.pdf 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Indytime said:

IU's Concussion Policy 20 pages long                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-18CProto65_IndianaU_Protocol_20170803.pdf 

I'm not sure that "scientifically" that is long enough. 👨‍🔬

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I am interested in how Justin continues to progress.  I have been impressed with his role and how he seemed to work through his early season ball-handling issues.  I would like to see him shoot 2-3 threes per game.  We all know he has a decent shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Take the he-man contest to the PMs. Thanks. 

How about She-Ra?  

image.jpeg.fb51ac08291ca11f31f29591c2cb6b8d.jpeg

 

Seriously, is this guy nothing more than a steroid commercial?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

How about She-Ra?  

image.jpeg.fb51ac08291ca11f31f29591c2cb6b8d.jpeg

 

Seriously, is this guy nothing more than a steroid commercial?

Then what was Skeletor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Complete TIC statement.  I do not expect RP to play the rest of the season. Up to this point no Indiana basketball  player has returned to the court since suffering a concussion.  

That way I will be ecstatic when he comes back and not let down before every game that he is unable to play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

No point in arguing with someone whose only response is “duhhh you’re not a doctor” (which is really the only response anyone has been able to offer thus far).  I hate being that guy, so I’ll let someone else explain the logical fallacy of argument from authority to you.

Regardless, I’m not going to take that argument at face value, especially when it’s pretty obvious that IU’s doctors are following a different protocol than most other program’s doctors and legal/PR considerations are also being taken into account.

Heard on Assembly Call last night that IU is just following the NCAA protocol and that each institution has the right to have their own protocol.  It just sounds like IU is going to follow what the NCAA puts out there as the right protocol to follow.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Colonialcrester said:

I'm not sure that "scientifically" that is long enough. 👨‍🔬

Should have been double-spaced like my papers in college

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see how its that entitled to want to know how concussion protocol is handled at IU. It's clearly different than most programs. I don't want/need to know anything specific about Rob. It's more about Rob being the live example in what is clearly a new concussion protocol. I'd just like to have it explained to me and then people could draw their own conclusions from that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to take our best shot to pull this one out on the road. I'm not feeling great about our chances, but hope I'm wrong. This is assuming Rob doesn't play...hopefully Deron is almost 100%, that would be a nice lift to offset Maryland's big at least.

Edited by ArchieBall13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×