Maryland Pregame Thread

rbkl

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

At some point does IU's very conservative approach to handling concussions hurt us in recruiting?  

I can't imagine a competitor being happy with this long of a layoff.  

Good point. I am sure most competitors want to be out there immediately. It just might.  I have looked around and have not seen other schools having guys out this long. Not saying its wrong or right but man at some point guys have to get back to playing. The player that hit his head on back board then on the florr after blocking a shot anyone know if he missed any time at all. 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

At some point does IU's very conservative approach to handling concussions hurt us in recruiting?  

Who's giving the conservative approach? Cam,doctors,Tim Garl...is he not passing tests..or is it the fact that concussions are more looked at then ever before...hard to be unhappy if your just not physically ready to preform...or is he?

33 minutes ago, mjeze106 said:

Rob P hasn't been cleared yet to do any sort of contact in practice/games and it sounds very unlikely that he will play tomorrow. This was according to CAM at the press conference just now.

This is starting to get ridiculous because there is no way a player should be out this long like RP and Thompson has been out.  I know it is for player safety but I think they are going way over board on the protocol to where it is being way to conservative.  it is funny I heard the news on DD show and he was kind of going off on the time table as well.  he mentioned he spent a night in the hospital with a concussion and was back plying two days later.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

This is starting to get ridiculous because there is no way a player should be out this long like RP and Thompson has been out.  I know it is for player safety but I think they are going way over board on the protocol to where it is being way to conservative.  it is funny I heard the news on DD show and he was kind of going off on the time table as well.  he mentioned he spent a night in the hospital with a concussion and was back plying two days later.

And we see how that turned out...

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

And we see how that turned out...

Good enough to have a job at ESPN and have his own radio show.  Also worked well enough for him to afford a house on Geist here in Indy.  I see players in the NFL where it is way more physical miss a week or two with a concussion and we have basketball players missing months.  I don't blame the players because they probably want to be out there playing with their teammates but I think we try to caudle the players of today to much.

I am just worried about how sports are going down a road that I am not liking.  I know everyone calls me old school but some of the changes I see in sports are not for the better if you ask me.  Just watching some of the college basketball games I am not liking how the game is being officiated and how some of the new rule changes have changed the game.  I get tired of every little foul being reviewed to see if it is a flagrant foul.  I don't like how they are trying to take out some of the physicality of all the sports and making it to soft.

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You mean hitting your stride, hitting huge game winners, gaining great experience leading a top 20 team in the country and all of a sudden being out longer than football players are?? Nope. No impact at all. My guess now is maybe at Purdue. 30 days from initial injury. Did any IU football players miss this long with concussions. Just like with anything....sometimes IU is it's own worst enemy. 

Well, as a parent of a recruit....I would be impressed with the way IU is handling injuries of all types. Look at what and how they brought De'Ron back from a devastating injury, as just another example. 

Getting back to the pre-game.  Here is mile's simple,  3 step prescription for victory, regardless of who is able to play:

1. Execute.

2. Execute.

3. Execute.

RP still not even cleared for contact? I've been on record as saying my stance has changed to a more conservative approach in monitoring head stuff, but man not even cleared for contact after a month right after he bounced  back up and played a few more possessions after his concussion incident before exiting the game? Just doesn't add up totally to me...when comparing what we've seen with Race/RP to the rest of the sports world today.

36 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Good point. I am sure most competitors want to be out there immediately. It just might.  I have looked around and have not seen other schools having guys out this long. Not saying its wrong or right but man at some point guys have to get back to playing. The player that hit his head on back board then on the florr after blocking a shot anyone know if he missed any time at all. 

From the youtube video...

During North Central College's matchup against Augustana on Wednesday night, 6'4 Blaise Meredith, 19-year old tries to chase down a block and gets punished by the backboard. Don't worry everyone! He was fine and went back into the game moments later.

I looked at the box score from their last game and sure enough, he played. If one of our players did that we'd probably never see them again.

Umm.. it's ridiculous to handle concussions the right way? Have some of you not paid any attention to the news the past two years in regards to concussions? 

I still remember someone telling me they wouldn't let their son play football because of concussions, guess they shouldn't play basketball either. 

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Well, as a parent of a recruit....I would be impressed with the way IU is handling injuries of all types. Look at what and how they brought De'Ron back from a devastating injury, as just another example. 

Getting back to the pre-game.  Here is mile's simple,  3 step prescription for victory, regardless of who is able to play:

1. Execute.

2. Execute.

3. Execute.

As a parent I am sure they like how IU handles injuries but I think the players who are competitors probably hate it.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

As a parent I am sure they like how IU handles injuries but I think the players who are competitors probably hate it.

How can you argue, what you are arguing? Players don't have a choice when it comes to injuries anymore... the coaches and medical staff have way too much to lose. 

8 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

From the youtube video...

During North Central College's matchup against Augustana on Wednesday night, 6'4 Blaise Meredith, 19-year old tries to chase down a block and gets punished by the backboard. Don't worry everyone! He was fine and went back into the game moments later.

I looked at the box score from their last game and sure enough, he played. If one of our players did that we'd probably never see them again.

Apparently he didn't have a concussion? This is pretty simple stuff honestly. 

What I'd like to see is any of the IU reporters who aren't afraid of credentials getting pulled ask Archie or Fred what the deal is with these concussions. No one here is advocating risking a kids health. That's a given. As a sports fan for 40 years....I've never witnessed this protection for concussions. Ever. It's now becoming a bigger story every passing game. Twitter is full of idiots I get it but idiots have ways of controlling things including stories. This is now a story for the season. 

15 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

RP still not even cleared for contact? I've been on record as saying my stance has changed to a more conservative approach in monitoring head stuff, but man not even cleared for contact after a month right after he bounced  back up and played a few more possessions after his concussion incident before exiting the game? Just doesn't add up totally to me...when comparing what we've seen with Race/RP to the rest of the sports world today.

It hasn't been a month... did you see how disoriented he was? either way, it doesn't have anything to do with concussions or their symptoms. 

What I find strange is that I have not heard about many other teams having people out with concussions.  Is it that we are just unlucky and have two kids sitting out months with one or is it other programs don't take the protocol like we do.  I think if they get to strict you will have players not telling the truth on how they feel and not report it if they get dinged up.

5 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

This is ridiculous. It's a kids brain we are dealing with. It's not like his finger hurts and they are being cautious. Concussions are serious. Have you had one? I have, and was miserable for a long time. They can affect people differently. We aren't holding him out for the hell of it. It's for his long term health. 

See your way out dude. 

Yeah, I’ve had multiple concussions, and one I can guarantee was 100x worse than Rob’s bump on the head.  Strangely enough, my life somehow wasn’t ruined forever. Absolutely ridiculous how the NFL’s concussion issue has translated into this hysteria in other sports at every level.  It’s a shame for Rob that he’s being held out because the administration is afraid of a lawsuit... I’m sure he wants to play.  As usual, IU is more worried about covering its own *** than competing.  Soft as tissue paper.

Archived