Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

After last night's game is all the more reason we need any and all guys like Keion on board. As we saw with Romeo and sometimes Morgan we still needed a 3rd guy to produce. No way 3-4 high talent guys can all have the night off. With RP at the point, a healthy Hunter, we have TJD, add Keion and Justin Smith. That's a pretty scary lineup next year.

And a very young one.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new trend of slow-rolling the commitment is a huge turn-off.  Perhaps in some cases it makes sense if there is a possible coaching change or waiting to see who will return the following season, but this one feels like grandstanding.  To which my response is the same as Gene Hackman in Hoosiers, when he goes to visit Jimmy Chitwood shooting baskets on the farm.  “I don’t care whether you play or not.”  Give me a guy like Bryant McIntosh or Kyle Guy, both of whom wanted to play here except for the previous coach.

If Brooks doesn’t want to play here after the attention IU has given him, move on, nothing here to see.

2 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

The new trend of slow-rolling the commitment is a huge turn-off.  Perhaps in some cases it makes sense if there is a possible coaching change or waiting to see who will return the following season, but this one feels like grandstanding.  To which my response is the same as Gene Hackman in Hoosiers, when he goes to visit Jimmy Chitwood shooting baskets on the farm.  “I don’t care whether you play or not.”  Give me a guy like Bryant McIntosh or Kyle Guy, both of whom wanted to play here except for the previous coach.

If Brooks doesn’t want to play here after the attention IU has given him, move on, nothing here to see.

So because these guys take a long time with their recruitment, you don't want them? 

31 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

These kids should every last second. Frankly I think kids should always wait till the late period to sign and have no problem with them taking every last second to make the best decision for them. 

Frankly, kids at the highest level should never make an official commitment. Locks them into a one-sided agreement and if the coach they have committed to leaves for some reason, they’re stuck. Small chance for the school releasing the kid.

Kids at that level will be taken, regardless, in a heartbeat. I can’t imagine a coach who is trying to get his team to the highest level would ever say no to a kid of that caliber.

9 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Enough with this. So, just because we feel a little butthurt means we don’t want top flight talent? In state, top flight talent at that?

Lets get this straight, we feel put off because a recruit dots “i’s” and crosses “t’s” and decide we don’t want them? That sends a message to recruits: we are fickle and insecure and an inhospitable fan base. Attitudes like yours make places like IU seem like lousy destinations for these kids.

Frankly this is a ridiculous, untenable, and petulant mindset. We are NOT holier than thou...we are in the advanced stages of rebuilding.

3 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

Enough with this. So, just because we feel a little butthurt means we don’t want top flight talent? In state, top flight talent at that?

Lets get this straight, we feel put off because a recruit dots “i’s” and crosses “t’s” and decide we don’t want them? That sends two messages to recruits: we are fickle and insecure and an inhospitable fan base. Attitudes like yours make places like IU seem like lousy destinations for these kids.

Frankly is a ridiculous, untenablel, and petulant mindset. We are NOT holier than thou...we are in the advanced stages of rebuilding.

Very well said!!! If recruits did read this board they would run for the hills! Luckily I doubt they do or they wouldn't take some of these negative comments seriously. 

44 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Very well said!!! If recruits did read this board they would run for the hills! Luckily I doubt they do or they wouldn't take some of these negative comments seriously. 

I'm confident they read fan forums (see Nojel Eastern's mom) mostly out of curiosity and for entertainment.  I'm guessing most of them don't take forums too seriously and/or realize that they represent a tiny fraction of the fanbase, albeit a passionate segment of the fanbase.  I don't think comments in fan forums impact recruits for the most part, but understanding that it's possible for fan comments to influence these young men, I try to behave.

Most of the time, I'm guessing recruits and our players simply laugh at the most ridiculous posts.

12 hours ago, zerawkid said:

Lets get this straight, we feel put off because a recruit dots “i’s” and crosses “t’s” and decide we don’t want them? That sends a message to recruits: we are fickle and insecure and an inhospitable fan base. Attitudes like yours make places like IU seem like lousy destinations for these kids.

Frankly this is a ridiculous, untenable, and petulant mindset. We are NOT holier than thou...we are in the advanced stages of rebuilding.

I dont want him anymore. I am butt hurt. We expected a commitment on page 100. We worked our butts off to get to 100. He did not do his part. Clearly, he is not a team player. Totally hung us out to dry!

Archived