Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope springs eternal.....it seems that the best part of IU basketball has been off season and recruiting rumors.  Of course I hope CAM gets his recruiting targets, but in the end none of this stuff really matters if we don't have a better product on the floor, during the season, with other teams also on the floor trying to beat us.  I think we all want tough-nosed ballers who play with attitude and energy.  If Brooks be this type of dude, than he will never find a better fan base that will love him long past his playing days.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well I am not an insider and the only time I really had a source close to a situation I was wrong.  That was when I talked to Hartman's aunt  at my aunt's funeral and she said Hartman was not coming back for his last year.  Everyone will be wrong time to time so there is no reason to criticize them.

You weren't wrong totally. Had Crean came back no Hartman. Crean doesn't like the red shirt.

4 hours ago, IUDan93 said:

Hope springs eternal.....it seems that the best part of IU basketball has been off season and recruiting rumors.  Of course I hope CAM gets his recruiting targets, but in the end none of this stuff really matters if we don't have a better product on the floor, during the season, with other teams also on the floor trying to beat us.  I think we all want tough-nosed ballers who play with attitude and energy.  If Brooks be this type of dude, than he will never find a better fan base that will love him long past his playing days.

We all knew Cam could recruit. Look what he did at Arizona for his brother...question is can he coach at the elite level...heck I don’t even know if his brother can so while I think he deserves 4-5 years given how the recruiting is going the jury is still out.

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

We all knew Cam could recruit. Look what he did at Arizona for his brother...question is can he coach at the elite level...heck I don’t even know if his brother can so while I think he deserves 4-5 years given how the recruiting is going the jury is still out.

I think he can coach at an elite level, he did pretty well at Dayton with "lesser ranked" players.  Will his skill as a recruiter bring in high ranked players that will buy into his style?  I think there is a dead zone in recruiting 5 star players. By this I mean players who are ranked outside of the top 10 or so players and still only play one year. They are skilled, but don't help build the team for long term success.  I think CAM would do well recruiting fringe 5 star guys, along with 4 stars who will all stay 3-4 years.

4 hours ago, IUDan93 said:

I think he can coach at an elite level, he did pretty well at Dayton with "lesser ranked" players.  Will his skill as a recruiter bring in high ranked players that will buy into his style?  I think there is a dead zone in recruiting 5 star players. By this I mean players who are ranked outside of the top 10 or so players and still only play one year. They are skilled, but don't help build the team for long term success.  I think CAM would do well recruiting fringe 5 star guys, along with 4 stars who will all stay 3-4 years.

I agree about the 5 star kids. Unless you have a team that is already at the top the OAD kids really don’t benefit you. I agree those fringe 5* kids like TJD and KBJ are the best of both worlds.

As for Archie...success at Dayton doesn’t necessarily mean success at a power 5 school. I can see where long armed defensive pack zone defense that makes it difficult to score in the paint and forces lesser quality players to take 3s would work but facing the best of the best....the elite shooters and teams with just as much athleticism and length that you see at the top .. it just may take more than that to win games. You need to be adaptable offense and you need sets and plays that put defenses at a disadvantage and let your elite athletes do what they do best. Also...you need elite shooting. Let’s be real...you can win games without elite shooting...but the best teams at the top can put the ball in the basket...and often from 3 at multiple positions. You need shooting to keep you in the game when a team gets hot....I mean if a team nails several 3s in a row going on a run and you have to cut into that 9-12 pt run it takes much much longer to get back to even with just twos...we just don’t have much room for error with this team.

35 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I agree about the 5 star kids. Unless you have a team that is already at the top the OAD kids really don’t benefit you. I agree those fringe 5* kids like TJD and KBJ are the best of both worlds.

As for Archie...success at Dayton doesn’t necessarily mean success at a power 5 school. I can see where long armed defensive pack zone defense that makes it difficult to score in the paint and forces lesser quality players to take 3s would work but facing the best of the best....the elite shooters and teams with just as much athleticism and length that you see at the top .. it just may take more than that to win games. You need to be adaptable offense and you need sets and plays that put defenses at a disadvantage and let your elite athletes do what they do best. Also...you need elite shooting. Let’s be real...you can win games without elite shooting...but the best teams at the top can put the ball in the basket...and often from 3 at multiple positions. You need shooting to keep you in the game when a team gets hot....I mean if a team nails several 3s in a row going on a run and you have to cut into that 9-12 pt run it takes much much longer to get back to even with just twos...we just don’t have much room for error with this team.

I see where some complain and talk about how Archie cam from a mid major program and it is hard for them to succeed.  If you look at most of the great coaches they started at a mid major and then got their big break at a major program. Roy Williams and Bill Self are not the normal where you leave a major conference for another major conference team.

Coach K- Army to Duke

RMK- Army to IU

Roy Williams- UNC assistant coach to KU

Jim Boheim- Syracuse assistant to Syracuse HC

Jim Calhoun- Northeastern to Connecticut

Billy Donovan- Marshal to Florida

John Wooden- ISU to UCLA

55 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Probably didnt want 3 players from one team making it...but yes,he should have been

IMG Academy had 3. Stewart was the only one from La Lumiere. Not to take anything away from Samuel Williamson, he's a great player, but Brooks is better. 

1 hour ago, HoosierJax said:

Ouch!

Yeah that’s harsh but then I watch Romeo actually play worse as the B1G season moves along and the coach doing nothing to make things better for him or the team. No adjustments etc...would make me wonder if Archie is who I would trust to take my game to the next level or should I go somewhere with a proven track record. It isn’t crazy to think about. I sure hope Archie can turn things around.

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah that’s harsh but then I watch Romeo actually play worse as the B1G season moves along and the coach doing nothing to make things better for him or the team. No adjustments etc...would make me wonder if Archie is who I would trust to take my game to the next level or should I go somewhere with a proven track record. It isn’t crazy to think about. I sure hope Archie can turn things around.

What do you want him to do for him, make his jump shots for him?  Romeo has struggled mightily on his jump shot this year.  Guess what teams are making us do?  They’re packing the paint and making us shoot jump shots.  

Archived