Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BGleas said:

He would get way more work being on an NBA team than being in college. They have coaches (S&T and assistants/support staff) working with young players constantly. Young players that don't see much burn are working on their games before practice, during practice, after practice, pre-game, on the road, etc. In addition, the NBA is a much different game, so you're practicing on shots/moves, etc. that you'll be getting in the NBA game. 

There's staff available to you 24/7 to work on your game vs. college where everything is limited and mostly self driven. I've personally witnessed Kendrick Perkins as a rookie (he played in 10 games) get off the plane at 1am and drive right to the practice facility to work out. Again, it's working on NBA things, not college schemes/shots. 

Not exactly apples to apples but I played D1 baseball and then went to the minor leagues. I can honestly say I got better in the first season of pro ball than the 4 years playing D1 baseball. The access to the coaches is ridiculous and working on your game becomes a 24/7 proposition. The mindset for everyone is COMPLETELY different and everyone is incredibly better. 

BGleas is right in that they are different games and that's even an understatement to be honest. Even during the season where things "appear" to be very busy, you still get in tons of work. It's almost impossible to understand unless you've seen it up close or you've played professionally. 

I don't think there is any question that Langford would get better by going to the NBA, but the real question is maximizing his initial contract via the draft in case that 2nd contract doesn't happen because of injury or something freakish happening. If Langford feels he can be a top-4 or top-5 pick in 2020 and is instead a top-15 or top-20 pick in 2019, then he needs to come back. I don't know though. Some guys just want to start to get the clock running towards free agency. If Romeo is supremely confident in his ability to be an impact NBA player then his draft stock doesn't really matter. 

41 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

Not exactly apples to apples but I played D1 baseball and then went to the minor leagues. I can honestly say I got better in the first season of pro ball than the 4 years playing D1 baseball. The access to the coaches is ridiculous and working on your game becomes a 24/7 proposition. The mindset for everyone is COMPLETELY different and everyone is incredibly better. 

BGleas is right in that they are different games and that's even an understatement to be honest. Even during the season where things "appear" to be very busy, you still get in tons of work. It's almost impossible to understand unless you've seen it up close or you've played professionally. 

I don't think there is any question that Langford would get better by going to the NBA, but the real question is maximizing his initial contract via the draft in case that 2nd contract doesn't happen because of injury or something freakish happening. If Langford feels he can be a top-4 or top-5 pick in 2020 and is instead a top-15 or top-20 pick in 2019, then he needs to come back. I don't know though. Some guys just want to start to get the clock running towards free agency. If Romeo is supremely confident in his ability to be an impact NBA player then his draft stock doesn't really matter. 

Selfishly I want Romeo back but I agree. I’m hard pressed to think of any NBA players that are drafted young that don’t progress a lot as long as they want to and work hard. It appears to be obvious which ones want to work hard and which ones get their first contract and already start coasting.

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

Selfishly I want Romeo back but I agree. I’m hard pressed to think of any NBA players that are drafted young that don’t progress a lot as long as they want to and work hard. It appears to be obvious which ones want to work hard and which ones get their first contract and already start coasting.

I'm with you. Selfishly I want him back too. I will say though that I think some are premature in thinking he's automatically gone. I'm not going to say anything inappropriate is going on, but he and his parents are VERY aware of the draft structure and how it works. They are going to want to maximize the financial incentive and if his parents aren't hard up for money right now then I think him coming back is a bigger possibility than people realize. It's a long shot but I think him coming back is greater than 0%.

20 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

I'm with you. Selfishly I want him back too. I will say though that I think some are premature in thinking he's automatically gone. I'm not going to say anything inappropriate is going on, but he and his parents are VERY aware of the draft structure and how it works. They are going to want to maximize the financial incentive and if his parents aren't hard up for money right now then I think him coming back is a bigger possibility than people realize. It's a long shot but I think him coming back is greater than 0%.

Completely agree with your reply above, great post! As far as Langford coming back, the only thing I could see that could make that happen is if he continues to be a sub-25% 3pt shooter. He’s a great player and scorer, but that’s just an awful number that could cause him to slide. 

I know his stroke/form isn’t bad, but he’s shooting really bad from a closer 3pt line, and we’re talking about a league that is shooting insane record numbers of 3’s. I’m sure NBA teams love his potential, but a low-20’s season long percentage from 3 could cause him to slide to late-lottery or slightly further. 

Keion our team is a mess. Archie will dump the rotten apples. If you’re a great young man, and everything seems to point to that, jump on board, grab Watford and let’s get this thing rolling the way it’s SUPPOSED to be. Hoping and looking forward to some good news to change the path of our future in our program. We’ll get there eventually one way or the other but you and Watford can help to turn that corner quick!

24 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

So IU and MICH St are the presumed favorites for Keion’s services how awesome would it be if Keion Tweets our at Halftime of the game today that he’s committed to IU!

Probably about a 1% chance of that happening, im starting to think things have cooled because of the lack of success on the court.

3 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

Probably about a 1% chance of that happening, im starting to think things have cooled because of the lack of success on the court.

If current success was what dictated where kids went then programs would never rebuild and it happens ALL the time in all college sports. You can be a complete train wreck of a program and sell it right and kids will jump at the train wreck for the very reason that THEY want to be apart of the rebuild.

im obviously a big Tennessee Vols football fan and it’s happening there right now. UT’s the worst they’ve been in their history and big time recruits are jacked coming to UT now for the very reason I just stated.

2 hours ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

I find it amusing how some people think that posts on message boards may affect players thoughts of a program more than how the team is actually playing.

If you were referencing me I sure hope a kid wouldn’t read message boards I was saying this more as a venting for myself and also sharing my heart to fellow fans. 

28 minutes ago, HSRecruitingNews said:

See Keion, you don't wanna go to Michigan State, it's a dumpster fire up there.

I apologize for making that comment last week. I felt bad about it from the time I posted it and I was looking for a way to delete it To anyone I offended, I apologize!

Archived