Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

5 hours ago, Maedhros said:

This is a weird claim to me. The 2018 class is fine. It had one top 100 kid - two, if you want to include Race Thompson before he reclassified - and then several four-year, developmental pieces. Romeo committing gave the class the star power it needed, but he'll be gone after this season; after he leaves it becomes a good class, not a great one. It was hoped that Romeo would give the 2019 class some momentum, but that didn't happen. Trayce finally committed after teasing us for a year, but we missed on a number of true centers. We also missed on a handful of guard targets before taking another developmental piece unlikely to contribute as an underclassmen. We haven't received commitments from Keion nor Trendon, and we're scrambling late for backup plans in Harlond Beverly and Lester Quinones.

The recruiting has been more focused on in-state prospects, and I understand why some find that appealing. Saying that the level of recruiting overall is better than since the early 90's is simply not true. I could argue Cody's 2011 class through Thomas Bryant's 2015 class match and exceed what we've seen from Archie so far.

You seem to have a literal attachment to player rankings, which are incredibly arbitrary and practically random once you get past the top handful players.  Who cares whether Phinisee was ranked 90 or 110 or even 130?  When I watch a player, I don't spend a second thinking about what they were ranked.  It's what skill set the player has, and how he fits in with the other pieces.  Having class balance between good four year players is a Goldilocks situation --to steal a term from finance and economics--because they will grow and develop in the desired culture.  

And if you want to scold people about projecting additional details to the class that may not materialize, the reality is that this class is not complete, by any stretch of the imagination.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You seem to have a literal attachment to player rankings, which are incredibly arbitrary and practically random once you get past the top handful players.  Who cares whether Phinisee was ranked 90 or 110 or even 130?  When I watch a player, I don't spend a second thinking about what they were ranked.  It's what skill set the player has, and how he fits in with the other pieces.  Having class balance between good four year players is a Goldilocks situation --to steal a term from finance and economics--because they will grow and develop in the desired culture.  

And if you want to scold people about projecting additional details to the class that may not materialize, the reality is that this class is not complete, by any stretch of the imagination.

I mention "top 100" once at the top of my post you quoted, and never brought up rankings again. If you think I'm focusing too much on what the recruiting classes look like on paper, I'm doing so because that's still largely all we know of the 2018 class. Of course recruiting rankings don't determine the value of a player over his college career. But we don't yet today know the value Race, Jerome, Damezi nor Jake will provide over their career, and we can at best make an educated guess on Rob. 

I agree the 2019 class is incomplete. It could turn out to be just as foundational as expect from the 2018 class! But don't know that today, and neither does anyone here. At the moment it's just Trayce and Armaan. So when someone says the recruiting under Archie is better than anything time since the early 90s, I have to ask based on what? It strikes me as hyperbole and revisionism, both of which are in no short supply from some in these early years of the Archie era. Do you really think Archie's recruiting cycle and a half has no precedent back to 1994?

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Honestly it sounds a lot worse than it was.  Nothing big, as someone else said if they were winning it wouldn’t be a deal at all.

I figured this was the case. That’s why I thought it was comical that someone mentioned Archie would be on the hot seat because of it.

So if we get Brooks is consensus that we are probably still looking to fill some spots?  If the staff feels good about this recruitment but is still looking at Beverly and Quinones, that would seem to indicate a few more guys leaving.

On another note, it seems like there are some deeper classes coming available down the line, if we have some upperclassmen leave, does anyone think it might be better to replace them with a JUCO or 5th year transfer as opposed to adding more young talent that is down in the 80-100 range?  It is really hit or miss for those kind of guys to contribute much their first year.  Given we are looking at guards, I wonder if there would be any 5th year guards available out of the MAC, OVC, Missouri Valley or maybe even Dayton that would have some experience with the pack line where the transition would be easier.  

If we land Brooks, I think a starting lineup of Phinisee, Durham, Brooks, TJD, and D. Davis is not a bad group.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So if we get Brooks is consensus that we are probably still looking to fill some spots?  If the staff feels good about this recruitment but is still looking at Beverly and Quinones, that would seem to indicate a few more guys leaving.

On another note, it seems like there are some deeper classes coming available down the line, if we have some upperclassmen leave, does anyone think it might be better to replace them with a JUCO or 5th year transfer as opposed to adding more young talent that is down in the 80-100 range?  It is really hit or miss for those kind of guys to contribute much their first year.  Given we are looking at guards, I wonder if there would be any 5th year guards available out of the MAC, OVC, Missouri Valley or maybe even Dayton that would have some experience with the pack line where the transition would be easier.  

If we land Brooks, I think a starting lineup of Phinisee, Durham, Brooks, TJD, and D. Davis is not a bad group.

I have seen TJD a few times this year and I don't know if he will start right away.  Also I feel if Hunter is fully recovered he will be in the starting lineup.  I would look at a good outside shooting 5th year grad to finish out the class.

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have seen TJD a few times this year and I don't know if he will start right away.  Also I feel if Hunter is fully recovered he will be in the starting lineup.  I would look at a good outside shooting 5th year grad to finish out the class.

Not trying to be rude at all....but TJD will start day 1. McDonald's All Americans don't ride the pine unless your recruiting strategy is to never get one ever again. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not trying to be rude at all....but TJD will start day 1. McDonald's All Americans don't ride the pine unless your recruiting strategy is to never get one ever again. 

Most of the time I agree but have you watched Villanova this year because their 5 star AA point guard doesn't see more than 5 minutes a game.  I am not saying he won't start or play good minutes but I just don't think it is a guarantee that he will start from day 1.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Nassir Little was the McDonald's All-American Game MVP. He hasn't started a single game all year. I totally agree Trayce will start for us next season, just not for that reason. 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Most of the time I agree but have you watched Villanova this year because their 5 star AA point guard doesn't see more than 5 minutes a game.  I am not saying he won't start or play good minutes but I just don't think it is a guarantee that he will start from day 1.

If talking about Quinerly there's a reason. Been at odds with Wright since he hit campus. Posted some bad stuff on Instagram. He'll be gone after this year. 

4 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Nassir Little was the McDonald's All-American Game MVP. He hasn't started a single game all year. I totally agree Trayce will start for us next season, just not for that reason. 

Good example and one that I think will back fire on Roy. He's been trying to go more conventional with his lineup this year. Fans have been begging for Little to start. Now he's injured so who knows how it plays out. Strange one indeed. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

If our team is as lacking in talent as people like to make it out to be, there is no way he doesn’t start.  

40 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If talking about Quinerly there's a reason. Been at odds with Wright since he hit campus. Posted some bad stuff on Instagram. He'll be gone after this year. 

Yes - I believe he was an Arizona commit until the FBI fallout. Then, while on the Villanova team and riding the bench, he posted something to the effect of "this was my second choice for a reason."

20 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

Can I just say that while IU fans and all sports fans acting like idiots is stupid on social media, it isn’t going away.  It’s the price you as an athlete pay when you want to promote your brand and build your potential empire.  To me if these kids really wanted to focus on their craft and not their brand they would get off social media or hand the management over to a team.

Best thing Mitch Trubiskey did was get off social media.  More athletes should do it including these young kids.  The moment you start putting your life in the open you are inviting these crazy things to happen.

100% agree and I've said it many times before.  Social media is an addiction and a curse for most of these kids. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. He'll be transferring the second he can. 

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. There are two 5 stars going there next year and they could be really good. Part of the issuehas been that Quinerly needed to learn how to play within a system and gain some weight. He only weighs like 170 lbs. 

Archived