Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I have seen TJD a few times this year and I don't know if he will start right away.  Also I feel if Hunter is fully recovered he will be in the starting lineup.  I would look at a good outside shooting 5th year grad to finish out the class.

Is Hunter practicing?  He must be doing something that Dakich saw for him to tweet that "Hunter is going to be an absolute star next year."

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Is Hunter practicing?  He must be doing something that Dakich saw for him to tweet that "Hunter is going to be an absolute star next year."

I have heard he is good but with the weird health issue I don't want to count him until I actually see him playing.  If he is as good as advertised, maybe he goes into the starting line up and Al comes out?

48 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I have heard he is good but with the weird health issue I don't want to count him until I actually see him playing.  If he is as good as advertised, maybe he goes into the starting line up and Al comes out?

If Al stays and improves even more in the offseason then there is no way he loses his starting spot.

1 minute ago, HoosierKix said:

If Al stays and improves even more in the offseason then there is no way he loses his starting spot.

Sorry, .....It is what it is. Even if Al does all the above and puts in all the extra work.......Bottom line, If Hunter is better at the start of the season, Hunter takes his starting spot. It may sting a little, but it is the way it is. Every current player should expect to be pushed and maximize their stock on the team when an incoming freshman comes aboard, even if they have been off due to injury. If I'm Hunter, I'm saying to myself, " I'm gettin' out on that floor and showing the world what they were missing last year!" 

Here is a well used line that I told my two daughters and various players throughout my softball coaching career. "Be that type player that the coach can't afford to be without!"

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

Sorry, .....It is what it is. Even if Al does all the above and puts in all the extra work.......Bottom line, If Hunter is better at the start of the season, Hunter takes his starting spot. It may sting a little, but it is the way it is. Every current player should expect to be pushed and maximize their stock on the team when an incoming freshman comes aboard, even if they have been off due to injury. If I'm Hunter, I'm saying to myself, " I'm gettin' out on that floor and showing the world what they were missing last year!" 

Here is a well used line that I told my two daughters and various players throughout my softball coaching career. "Be that type player that the coach can't afford to be without!"

So then who are you putting the starting lineup as? I still see a spot with Jerome Hunter and Al in the lineup. I don't see 5 guys that will be better then where I think Al will be. He is arguably our best shooter right now and a good defender and he plays with heart.

5 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

So then who are you putting the starting lineup as? I still see a spot with Jerome Hunter and Al in the lineup. I don't see 5 guys that will be better then where I think Al will be. He is arguably our best shooter right now and a good defender and he plays with heart.

I'm not saying Al won't be in the starting line up or shouldn't be. All I am saying is IF Hunter had not been hurt, he would have been in the starting lineup AND all our record would most likely show more wins and fewer losses. 

1 hour ago, HoosierKix said:

I think it is possible.  Al to me is more of a 2 or combo guard.  If Brooks is able to fill that role a little better than him, then I could see the starting role going to Brooks.  I do not think that Al is a better PG or has a higher ceiling at PG than Durham so while the Top 5 players may include Al, he may not make the rotation because 2 or 3 of our top guys could play the 2.

13 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

This is supposedly from one of the well-respected paywall insiders...don't know which one.  Sounds like the Rivals and Twitter idiots could possibly cost us this one...

Brooks.thumb.jpg.a59c6dd3d2d898188e83d5a5bdc28044.jpg

Hopefully the  Brooks family read the Indystar story on Kyle Guy this morning and realizes those "fans" are not unique to Indiana.

From the article, after UVA lost to 16 seed UMBC:  "Death threats that forced the team bus to be diverted on the way back to the hotel only compounded the confusion. Subsequent hate mail and social media criticism from angry fans didn’t help matters either. "

11 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Hopefully the  Brooks family read the Indystar story on Kyle Guy this morning and realizes those "fans" are not unique to Indiana.

From the article, after UVA lost to 16 seed UMBC:  "Death threats that forced the team bus to be diverted on the way back to the hotel only compounded the confusion. Subsequent hate mail and social media criticism from angry fans didn’t help matters either. "

Stupid.  Too bad people like that can't be deported to the Arctic circle.

39 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

It's Brian Snow

Keep in mind, the very week that TJD signed with IU (in fact he had ALREADY signed), Snow was saying that he didn't see a TJD commitment coming until January, and that MSU was gaining ground with him.  

I don't doubt that the Brooks family is annoyed with the silliness on social media, but this isn't what it seems.  They are too smart to decide based on anonymous idiots on Twitter.  

Something to consider -- do the recruiting service sites do better or worse if everyone believes that a recruitment is still very tight and down to the wire?

11 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Keep in mind, the very week that TJD signed with IU (in fact he had ALREADY signed), Snow was saying that he didn't see a TJD commitment coming until January, and that MSU was gaining ground with him.  

I don't doubt that the Brooks family is annoyed with the silliness on social media, but this isn't what it seems.  They are too smart to decide based on anonymous idiots on Twitter.  

Something to consider -- do the recruiting service sites do better or worse if everyone believes that a recruitment is still very tight and down to the wire?

There's a whole genre on Netflix called Dramas

16 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I follow Snow on twitter, the guy is an expert on everything, just ask him he'll tell you. Guy is a clown.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

This is supposedly from one of the well-respected paywall insiders...don't know which one.  Sounds like the Rivals and Twitter idiots could possibly cost us this one...

Brooks.thumb.jpg.a59c6dd3d2d898188e83d5a5bdc28044.jpg

If he doesn't love IU, then fine. But not going to a school because of negative fans? And your goal is the NBA? Talk about pressure. Try playing for the Knicks, Bulls, Celtics etc. Once you start playing for millions of dollars, the pressure is much more intense. I would think playing for a team with passionate fans would be a benefit, not a hinderance. A learning experience for the big time. I don't want any player coming to IU who can't handle pressure or expectations. That's part of the challenge. I really think this is a smoke screen of some sort. Any parent is going to be concerned, but this should not be the overriding factor. All the schools he's considering are basketball schools that are not immune to negative fans on social media.  Death threats and all the non-sense is the by product of internet morons. 

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I have seen TJD a few times this year and I don't know if he will start right away.  Also I feel if Hunter is fully recovered he will be in the starting lineup.  I would look at a good outside shooting 5th year grad to finish out the class.

TJD will start right away, but people on here need to temper the expectations on him.  He’s a damn good player but it’s going to take time.  Especially since he’s not a banger like his dad.  More of a face-up player.  Similar to Cody only Cody had more talent around him.  Again he’s going to be really good but I don’t expect huge numbers by him his freshman year.  8-10 points a game and 5-6 boards a game, which is pretty good for a true freshman. Maybe he will surprise me and be a lot better.

21 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

TJD will start right away, but people on here need to temper the expectations on him.  He’s a damn good player but it’s going to take time.  Especially since he’s not a banger like his dad.  More of a face-up player.  Similar to Cody only Cody had more talent around him.  Again he’s going to be really good but I don’t expect huge numbers by him his freshman year.  8-10 points a game and 5-6 boards a game, which is pretty good for a true freshman. Maybe he will surprise me and be a lot better.

If he can consistently fill the role that Smith currently is not fulfilling (rebounds, putbacks, and occasional easy buckets off of kick outside and dives when someone else is getting the double) then I will be happy.  8 to 10 pts and around a 5 rebound average sounds really good to me for a freshmen out of our 4 spot.  We are getting 8.6 pts and 4.5 rebounds from our sophomore.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If he can consistently fill the role that Smith currently is not fulfilling (rebounds, putbacks, and occasional easy buckets off of kick outside and dives when someone else is getting the double) then I will be happy.  8 to 10 pts and around a 5 rebound average sounds really good to me for a freshmen out of our 4 spot.  We are getting 8.6 pts and 4.5 rebounds from our sophomore.

Not so much on this board but I’ve seen some people think he’s a bruiser and he’s not.  Good not great shot blocker from the few games I saw. One thing he has that I love is IQ, knows the game well.  He’s hasn’t showed much emotion in the games I saw but they were blowouts so hard to judge.  KBJ on the other hand is fiery, they’d be great together!

35 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Not so much on this board but I’ve seen some people think he’s a bruiser and he’s not.  Good not great shot blocker from the few games I saw. One thing he has that I love is IQ, knows the game well.  He’s hasn’t showed much emotion in the games I saw but they were blowouts so hard to judge.  KBJ on the other hand is fiery, they’d be great together!

Not they would, they will be great together 😀

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not they would, they will be great together 😀

You have to wonder when  Romeo signed with IU he knew a little about the future recruits leaning towards IU and their feelings. I know the odds are stacked against Romeo staying another year, but it was well known that he and his family find education to be very important. I would have to think that since Romeo's stock has been dropping, that he has not ruled out coming back. Especially since a second season he could played with TJD and possibly Keion.

20 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

You have to wonder when  Romeo signed with IU he knew a little about the future recruits leaning towards IU and their feelings. I know the odds are stacked against Romeo staying another year, but it was well known that he and his family find education to be very important. I would have to think that since Romeo's stock has been dropping, that he has not ruled out coming back. Especially since a second season he could played with TJD and possibly Keion.

His stock has only dropped on a few select mock drafts.  Most others, he's still pretty high or at least top 20. Him coming back would be shocking. 

Archived