Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

I don't know about all this. I think KB is going to be in Bloomington. I went through a recruitment (baseball not basketball so it's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT), but what struck me is that KB has said he feels it important to represent his home state. Also he & TJD are really close & even if Calipari is in KB's dad's ear it doesn't matter to me. Also I'm not sure how much the product on the floor matters too much to a recruit. I know it didn't for me when I was going through it. I think people underestimate the "ease" factor when playing sports. Also I'm not sure how much the parents influence. I mean maybe they do, but at the end of the day the kid has to pick the school that has the right feel. He's the one playing, not Dad. I'm not sure my Dad & I ever had a conversation about my recruitment. In fact, we didn't really talk baseball all that much. I'll say this, I'm an Indiana kid so I really hoped I'd get drafted out of high school. When that didn't happen I really wanted to go to Indiana. I was recruited by a lot of schools in Texas, a couple of them were VERY BIG TIME schools with major pipelines to MLB, but staying in-state was important for me. I had spent time in Bloomington on academic trips and I loved it. Indiana baseball at the time wasn't what it is now. The team wasn't very good, but I didn't really care that much. The biggest conversation I had was the spring of my senior year with a guy I had played American Legion ball with the year before. I knew I wanted to major in math & chemistry. My buddy knew this too and he was going through his freshman year at IU. 

He told me that i should avoid IU at all costs because the head coach at the time did not give a rat's rear end about academics. He told me most of the guys were not doing well academically and that the coach didn't really care. he was pretty downtrodden about it because like me he loved playing for Indiana.  if I couldn't play baseball then I wanted to go to medical school so coming out of college with a 2.5 or 2.7 wasn't going to cut for me. It scared me and I talked to a couple of other guys on the team that confirmed what my legion teammate told me. It was an awful feeling, but I had to pass. I wanted to be at IU more than anything, but by this time I wasn't sure I could have a career in major league baseball. Luckily I finally got to IU via medical school, but it wasn't really the undergraduate experience that I had hoped to have.

I say all that to say that KB shouldn't have ANY of those reservations. He's going to get a shot to go to great school with a great coach that gives a rip about his academics. He's going to get first rate coaching, be able to play in a very comfortable environment and play with his buddies. It's a dream scenario for a high school player from Indiana. I don't think KB is going to be influenced by the thought that he somehow could get to the NBA faster by going to Kentucky or North Carolina or Michigan State. Maybe I'm much too old now, but everything he says combined with the situation he is walking into makes me think this is all academic. If all of that isn't enough to get him to suit up for the Hoosiers then I think we are better off without him, but what he said is important to him makes me think he's been Indiana's for a long time.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Thing is people have had no idea where he is going.  Has IU fans felt good.  Problem is IU has never known.  I know someone in the IU media and they said if IU knew he was his...we would know.  We typically always know when they do.  Certain coaches have them write articles for specific recruits they want really bad....and they are told when they know.  This has never been a done deal.  People just need to accept that.  

So did those people know TJD not only informed the staff but signed his LOI. 

1 hour ago, IU_Realist said:

For following along with some of these people’s charades.  Read my other posts. Media knows when IU coaches find out.  They tell them all the time who they feel comfortable with and who they already know is committed. 

I guess they should really be laughing at the fact IU fans actually PAY to read all their fluff pieces. They rarely provide any meaningful information. If guys like CoachSS disappeared from their sites, they wouldn't do near as well. I know this because I am one of the idiots that pays to read their generic articles. And I'm one of the guys that would stop subscribing if the insiders stopped talking, because you sure as s*** aren't getting much from Rabjohns or Peegs. 

18 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

TJD was committing and every outlet knew it for awhile.  Someone said Alford states he was just playing everyone besides IU.  Alford was texting with outlets and other AAU coaches. Never asked about the signed LOI. I know one who said Archie seems pretty dang confident about TJD.  Most of these people know prior though.  As someone stated, Snow has the best relationship with Archie.  People hear stuff and it gets reported.  However, certain people are just doing it for attention.  This is what Sam is getting his crap for. He has done it before and is doing it again.  Must crave the attention.  He was getting called out prior to this prior meltdown.  

I had said for a long time TJD to IU was worst kept secret in the state. At no point had I heard he had told CAM he was committing.  With KB I heard that 2 months ago from someone I take seriously when it comes to Indiana basketball.  I am no insider I hear a lot most has no legs but the part of KB informing CAM really seemed to have legs 

15 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I had said for a long time TJD to IU was worst kept secret in the state. At no point had I heard he had told CAM he was committing.  With KB I heard that 2 months ago from someone I take seriously when it comes to Indiana basketball.  I am no insider I hear a lot most has no legs but the part of KB informing CAM really seemed to have legs 

Informed him of what? He is going elsewhere or he was going to IU for the last 6 months?

9 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

They would and have before.  Sam vanished when he was banned before for his charades.  Peegs didn’t go down the tube. Let’s talk about Peegs.  Matt is giving very good incentives by the IU football staff to write certain articles and provide feedback for certain information.  Information is there.  Problem with sites is there is accountability when they start throwing around rumors from second or third hand info like Sam does.  Sam can say whatever he wants and gets away with it.  He can shift and go around the poo and blame others.  Deniability.

So, what you're saying is that the "professionals" can't put their money where their mouths are? Sam does. He's right sometimes, he's wrong other times. If someone takes what he or ANYONE else says as Gospel, then that's their problem. One Calling it a "charade" moreso exposes jealousy than it does make something a charade. And why wouldn't they be jealous? Half the people that show up to Monday night chat are there to hear what CoachSS has to say. 

17 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Informed him of what? He is going elsewhere or he was going to IU for the last 6 months?

We all knew he was going to IU. I never heard 1 person come out and say that the IU staff has been informed of the decision.  Obviously at some point that were told before TJD made his announcement.  With KB I have heard from 1 very trusted person that our staff was informed 2 months ago by KB that he was coming to IU. 

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

We all knew he was going to IU. I never heard 1 person come out and say that the IU staff has been informed of the decision.  Obviously at some point that were told before TJD made his announcement.  With KB I have heard from 1 very trusted person that our staff was informed 2 months ago by KB that he was coming to IU. 

If KB is waffling now, then he was never truly committed. 

Just now, IUskim said:

I just think at this point we all need to take a step back. Hopefully KBJ comes. If not I hope he kills it in Lexington for a win-less Wildcat team. Also we already have signed what is most likely our second Indiana Mr. Baksetball in a row. When was the last time we could say that?

Fixed that for you....

2 minutes ago, IUskim said:

I just think at this point we all need to take a step back. Hopefully KBJ comes. If not I hope he kills it in Lexington. Also we already have signed what is most likely our second Indiana Mr. Baksetball in a row. When was the last time we could say that?

Sorry. Call me whatever. I will never cheer for a Hoosier to kill it in Lexington. 

39 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

I don’t think they are jealous.  Like I said Sam does it for whatever reason....attention most likely.  I don’t go to chat or subscribe to Peegs.  So, I have no idea on what.  They get paid and on some instances a lot and in some instances not a lot. Again...Sammy went bye bye before and never caused any issue....people give him too much value for his reach arounds.

What do you or any of those guys care about his "motive"? From my perspective, he's a die-hard IU fan with some ties to the program, whether they be direct or indirect. A lot of people like what he has to say, more than what the professionals have to say (which isn't much). The professionals get it wrong too.

Do we even know what's "wrong" yet anyway?

Could KBJ have told the IU staff months ago that he was coming to IU? Yes, and the "insiders" who said so wouldn't be wrong. 

Could KBJ have changed his mind since then and decided to go elsewhere? Yes, then the "insiders" still might not have been wrong (see previous point).

Could KBJ have not informed the IU staff and never really come to a decision yet? Yes, then the "insiders" were wrong, but how will we ever know?

Could KBJ decide to come to IU? Yes, and hopefully that's exactly what he does, even if recent trends indicate it to be unlikely.

On other sites they are saying that while Keion was driving back to Indiana the first thing he did was call the IU coaches. I’m taking the info we’re given as this is not over. I don’t think we’re out of it and I don’t think there is a leader I think Keion is just torn but time will tell

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

The whole roster turns over because they are all getting paid in the NBA. You can’t win against UK by playing your NBA future will be better coming to IU. You tell the kid you are going to the NBA regardless if you put in the work...but you can be the leader here..you can play with familiar faces that got your back and you can be the face of the program here...all while representing the state...oh and candy strips are so much cooler than those checker unis!

Other than Keldon Johnson this year, who is going to get paid in the NBA from UK?  Maybe Ashtan Hagans if he finishes strong and they make a big run. Otherwise,  who else? I think PJ Washington will turn pro based on pride, and the fact he can't really improve his current 2nd round status.  Nick Richards? Ah, no mon.  EJ Montgomery?  Welcome to Kazakhstan. 

I have to watch more UK basketball than any IU fan ever should because of my UK grad wife.  They've really turned around their season since Quade Green left. Reid Travis is the magic piece they were missing. Perfect person to match up defensively with Grant Williams. But this notion that Cal gets guys to the NBA that wouldn't be drafted from any major school is just not accurate.  Top 10 recruits (Keldon Johnson), sure. They get ranked and drafted based on NBA potential.  

After this year, Archie could tell a kid and his family, "I get 100% of 5 star recruits drafted in the lottery/top 10", depending on where Romeo is drafted.  Cal can't say that anymore. If I were a recruit, or had a son ranked outside of the top 10-15, no way I go to UK if I want to be OAD. If you take a year or 2 to develop, and have the usual growing pains,  you WILL be recruited over.  

Once coach K decided he wanted to jump back into the recruiting arms race, that was it for Cal and Kentucky's OAD model. 2nd place in that race is not where you want to be.  If not for a rare stud grad transfer, and a sophomore that begrudgingly returned due to draft status, they would be a NIT team again this year.

Sorry for the rant. Our struggles and UK's success makes for added frustration in what looked like a promising season at the start of the New Year. Add in the fact I'm from Fort Wayne,  and would really love to have Keion on the team. Who knows, maybe it all still comes together.

Archived