Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Looks like they have a hard commit from 6'6 forward 5 star #7 Kahlil Whitney as well. That's the one the baffles me with Brooks. Is Whitney not committed anymore? If so, how do the Brooks think that's a great situation for Keion?

Still think he would get pushed to the post, and have fewer minutes at UK. We will have Davis, TJD, Race, and Jake to play the post (guessing Cliff leaves). Keion will definitely be a wing for us. Unless Hagans and Herro both leave, just doesn't make sense from a playing time standpoint.

Whitney is going to UK he just chose to sign late.

3 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

lot of pictures in that instagram of him and TJD. To me that all but says it's all but over and he's going to be wearing the candy stripes.

Well it was a post for TJD and his birthday. But it would be crazy to me with as close as it seems they are, for him not to choose IU. 

7 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Well it was a post for TJD and his birthday. But it would be crazy to me with as close as it seems they are, for him not to choose IU. 

Agree. KB said too many things early on about representing his state and playing with his friends that would lead me to believe he would ever choose anyone but IU. Has he milked the recruiting a bit? Has he put more gray hair on our collective heads? It reminds me a little bit of "HE GOT GAME." If you remember Shuttlesworth's trip to "Tech" you should remember all that happened there even though Shuttlesworth ended up picking "State". If I'm a basketball recruit and Michigan State, Kentucky, and North Carolina want to give me trips like the one Shuttlesworth had at "Tech" then I AM NOT TURNING THOSE DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Edit: I didn't even realize that KB notes his names as Keion"JesusShuttlesworth"Brooks in his instagram before I wrote the above!!!!!

My brain usually goes different. Maybe it's the pessimistic side of me but maybe he's posting nice to soften the blow when he chooses UK? Everything to me says he should IU. Playing at home, max minutes and starting day 1, playing with best friends....I could go on about IU/Fans/Exposure but I'm tired of needing to sell IU. We don't have to sell anything. 

If he chooses Kentucky fine but no one can explain to me it was a better set of circumstances because it just isn't. Something else in play there.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

My brain usually goes different. Maybe it's the pessimistic side of me but maybe he's posting nice to soften the blow when he chooses UK? Everything to me says he should IU. Playing at home, max minutes and starting day 1, playing with best friends....I could go on about IU/Fans/Exposure but I'm tired of needing to sell IU. We don't have to sell anything. 

If he chooses Kentucky fine but no one can explain to me it was a better set of circumstances because it just isn't. Something else in play there.

It is his decision.  We can analyze it every which way we want to as to what he "should" do.  He has to live with his choice, we don't.

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

It really comes down to the fact that at UK, he’ll be competing for conference and national championships.  IU just doesn’t offer that opportunity right now.  Not to mention that Cal has a track record of getting guys to the NBA that Archie can’t compete with yet.  (And yes, I agree that Cal is overrated as a developer of NBA talent, but Archie just doesn’t really have much to sell in that department right now.)

I think you’d be hard-pressed to find anyone that isn’t an IU fan who thinks IU is a better option for 5 star talent than UK right now, even considering the “playing time” argument.  Which is about all IU has to offer at this point.

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

It really comes down to the fact that at UK, he’ll be competing for conference and national championships.  IU just doesn’t offer that opportunity right now.  Not to mention that Cal has a track record of getting guys to the NBA that Archie can’t compete with yet.  (And yes, I agree that Cal is overrated as a developer of NBA talent, but Archie just doesn’t really have much to sell in that department right now.)

I think you’d be hard-pressed to find anyone that isn’t an IU fan who thinks IU is a better option for 5 star talent than UK right now, even considering the “playing time” argument.  Which is about all IU has to offer at this point.

You're right. From an unbiased basketball standpoint ALONE, UK is actually the better option. Proven "developer" of talent. Practicing with higher level players on a daily basis improves your game quite a bit. More exposure to higher level scouts because of that.

I think the winning part is mostly an afterthought for most 5-stars with NBA aspirations.

Luckily, Romeo is very pro-Archie (unless that has changed, though it doesn't appear to have). Despite what all the NBA scouts on this message board think, Romeo's stock hasn't dropped, but his ceiling on draft position has probably lowered. You don't have to be "pro ready" to get drafted really high...in any sport. Before the season started, his ceiling was 3rd pick, behind RJ and Zion. His average projection was probably around 5th/6th going in to this year. He's right around 5th/6th right now. Not much of what has been done this college season has changed the top of the draft. Zion has solidified himself as the #1 pick instead of the back and forth with RJ. Cam Reddish is still in the Top 4. All Romeo didn't do this year was pass Zion, RJ, Cam and Ja Morant. He was never expected to have done that. It's likely solidified, barring a tremendous (or horrific) NBA workout/combine, that he's a 5th-7th pick...right where he was projected before he even dribbled an NCAA basketball.

While I think Coach Cal has the ace of diamonds in player "development", it's not like we are playing with a 3 of clubs. Ed has coached/trained multiple NBA players.

And, luckily, the basketball standpoint alone isn't the only thing in play here. Keion has spoken frequently about how important coaching relationships were in his recruitment. He's spoken prior about what it would mean to him to play for the home state school. He's spoken frequently about comfort. About being a priority, etc. 

Archie will close the deal.

40 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

You're right. From an unbiased basketball standpoint ALONE, UK is actually the better option. Proven "developer" of talent. Practicing with higher level players on a daily basis improves your game quite a bit. More exposure to higher level scouts because of that.

I think the winning part is mostly an afterthought for most 5-stars with NBA aspirations.

Luckily, Romeo is very pro-Archie (unless that has changed, though it doesn't appear to have). Despite what all the NBA scouts on this message board think, Romeo's stock hasn't dropped, but his ceiling on draft position has probably lowered. You don't have to be "pro ready" to get drafted really high...in any sport. Before the season started, his ceiling was 3rd pick, behind RJ and Zion. His average projection was probably around 5th/6th going in to this year. He's right around 5th/6th right now. Not much of what has been done this college season has changed the top of the draft. Zion has solidified himself as the #1 pick instead of the back and forth with RJ. Cam Reddish is still in the Top 4. All Romeo didn't do this year was pass Zion, RJ, Cam and Ja Morant. He was never expected to have done that. It's likely solidified, barring a tremendous (or horrific) NBA workout/combine, that he's a 5th-7th pick...right where he was projected before he even dribbled an NCAA basketball.

While I think Coach Cal has the ace of diamonds in player "development", it's not like we are playing with a 3 of clubs. Ed has coached/trained multiple NBA players.

And, luckily, the basketball standpoint alone isn't the only thing in play here. Keion has spoken frequently about how important coaching relationships were in his recruitment. He's spoken prior about what it would mean to him to play for the home state school. He's spoken frequently about comfort. About being a priority, etc. 

Archie will close the deal.

Yeah, there are definitely some factors that weigh in IU’s favor.  I think having TJD in the fold is one of our biggest draws.  But I disagree that winning is an afterthought for these types of recruits... These guys are competitive and want to win.  That’s why so many of them go to Duke, UK, and Kansas (in addition to the cash).  They want to be playing in March.  Unfortunately it looks like doing that will be an uphill climb for IU for the foreseeable future.

23 hours ago, dgambill said:

Actually he is a really good player. He probably would be a 3 or 4 year guy but the kid has scored over 3200 pts for Pendleton Co. and was avg over 40pts a game this year. Unfortunately he tore his ACL I think in early January....good thing he signed already. Kid can ball for sure but would be one of those guys that would come off the bench behind the 5 stars for the next couple years and maybe be like Darius Miller a savy do it all senior. I think Cal was getting a lot of pressure because it was the kids dream to play there and at the time he was offered it looked like he would end up with over 4000 pts and maybe break Kentuckys High School record.

I know I was just messing around a little.

I think it’s IU.  Perhaps it hasn’t been announced because we technically only have two available scholarships?  The staff has shown they can keep a secret with the way TJD was handled.  Can he even sign a letter of intent if there is no scholarship available?

2 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

I think it’s IU.  Perhaps it hasn’t been announced because we technically only have two available scholarships?  The staff has shown they can keep a secret with the way TJD was handled.  Can he even sign a letter of intent if there is no scholarship available?

Definitely an interesting take if that’s how that stuff works. I could see the staff knowing and keeping it quiet if that’s what they need to do. 

33 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

Well no one can sign until the spring signing period in April

28 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

We’ve over signed before, but not since Archie has been here.  I believe he’s stated publicly that he doesn’t like it.

Archie tried to oversign in his very first class. We pursued both Garland and Romeo quite heavily and would have gladly taken both, even with only one available scholarship. 

8 hours ago, cohete15 said:

Cal's ability to develop talent isn't all that impressive given what he starts with.  There are plenty of examples of kids like the Harrison Twins or Skal Labissiere  who went decidedly backwards playing for Cal.

When it comes to developing talent for the NBA, Tom Crean is better at improving a player's stock than Cal is.

14 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Cal's ability to develop talent isn't all that impressive given what he starts with.  There are plenty of examples of kids like the Harrison Twins or Skal Labissiere  who went decidedly backwards playing for Cal.

When it comes to developing talent for the NBA, Tom Crean is better at improving a player's stock than Cal is.

As little as I enjoyed Crean as a coach, I would agree with this 100%. It’s been a LONG TIME since Cal could point to a kid coming out of HS that no one would’ve expected would even make the NBA and did or maybe even excelled or was taken high.

Archived