Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

53 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Cal's ability to develop talent isn't all that impressive given what he starts with.  There are plenty of examples of kids like the Harrison Twins or Skal Labissiere  who went decidedly backwards playing for Cal.

Most UK fans I know will say the same thing.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

As little as I enjoyed Crean as a coach, I would agree with this 100%. It’s been a LONG TIME since Cal could point to a kid coming out of HS that no one would’ve expected would even make the NBA and did or maybe even excelled or was taken high.

Well, that's because they dont have to recruit those players that come.out of nowhere. It isnt really a fair comparison.

When was the last time Coah K, Bill Self, Roy William's etc took a kid that nobody expected to the NBA and did?

I am against what Cal is as a person, but this seems like a sour grapes argument.

3 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Well, that's because they dont have to recruit those players that come.out of nowhere. It isnt really a fair comparison.

When was the last time Coah K, Bill Self, Roy William's etc took a kid that nobody expected to the NBA and did?

I am against what Cal is as a person, but this seems like a sour grapes argument.

Self has one in process with the kid who back filled Romeo’s spot, Agbaji.  

8 hours ago, Maedhros said:

There were two because Curtis Jones transferred in December, several weeks after Darius Garland had already committed to Vanderbilt. At the time we were recruiting them, there was only one.

But neither had committed yet. It does not make a lot of sense to only recruit one player per open spot. Even this year Archie is still recruiting (and should) until it is clear who all is coming back next year.

There is a big difference between not using the over-sign and naively assuming that Romeo and every other eligible player will return next year.

2 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Very well spoken, and knowledgeable!  Seems to understand the importance of defense. 

The longer this drags out, the better shape we are in...  if it was Kentucky, I believe he would have pulled the trigger already 

Not sure if the time frame favors  over the other. This comes down to who makes the decision and gets the other sides bleesing.  In taking so long both parties feel they have enough to support their choice. At the end of the day what I am hearing is that if KB can give and support why IU then his parents will stand behind it and support that decision.  

42 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not sure if the time frame favors  over the other. This comes down to who makes the decision and gets the other sides bleesing.  In taking so long both parties feel they have enough to support their choice. At the end of the day what I am hearing is that if KB can give and support why IU then his parents will stand behind it and support that decision.  

Is it more likely that parents (Dad) is pushing UK while kid wants IU? Putting all the pieces together it seems like maybe this is the most logical reason for the delay and extended delay.

First time a kid goes against parent or parents wishes is a pretty tough time. I can remember the first time (in a serious conversation) I disagreed with my Dad. Of course it had to do with who he was going to marry and nothing as important as choosing IU. Haha.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Is it more likely that parents (Dad) is pushing UK while kid wants IU? Putting all the pieces together it seems like maybe this is the most logical reason for the delay and extended delay.

First time a kid goes against parent or parents wishes is a pretty tough time. I can remember the first time (in a serious conversation) I disagreed with my Dad. Of course it had to do with who he was going to marry and nothing as important as choosing IU. Haha.

Exactly what I hear is the issue. If Keion can do it and have valid reasons not emotional reasons, it will not fall on deaf ears. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is the case. 

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Exactly what I hear is the issue. If Keion can do it and have valid reasons not emotional reasons, it will not fall on deaf ears. 

Wish these parents would let the kid do what they want to do and not what the parents want them to do.  the kids is the one that have to live with their decision and is the person who will have to go where they decide to go.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Wish these parents would let the kid do what they want to do and not what the parents want them to do.  the kids is the one that have to live with their decision and is the person who will have to go where they decide to go.

Serious question, Do you let your kids do what they want at 18? I would listen give advise and ultimately let them know what my thoughts were and hopefully find a common ground. Easy to say when we want what the kid wants, but this is a big life changing decision. 

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Serious question, Do you let your kids do what they want at 18? I would listen give advise and ultimately let them know what my thoughts were and hopefully find a common ground. Easy to say when we want what the kid wants, but this is a big life changing decision. 

Yes I do let them make their decisions.  My son is a freshman at ISU and even without discussing it with me he decided he is  going to transfer to IUPUI next year.  Also when he was making his decision it was between ISU and SIU and I let him decide which one he wanted.  Also when my daughter was looking at schools she did not ask me which schools I thought she should apply for but she applied to the ones she wanted to go to.  She got into IU, Hanover and a couple of others that I can't remember but when she decided on IU it was her decision solely.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Yes I do let them make their decisions.  My son is a freshman at ISU and even without discussing it with me is going to transfer to IUPUI next year.  Also when he was making his decision it was between ISU and SIU and I let him decide which one he wanted.  Also when my daughter was looking at schools she did not ask me which schools I thought she should apply for but she applied to the ones she wanted to go to.  She got into IU, Hanover and a couple of others that I can't remember but when she decided on IU it was her decision solely.

Like you said you let them make the decisions and were not a part of it. KB and family have all been a part of it from the beginning and he wants and values their input.  .As a parent if I felt my child was making a poor decision that could influence something they have worked so hard for I would give my opinion. Does not mean they have to take it but i would not want to look back with regret. 

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Like you said you let them make the decisions and were not a part of it. KB and family have all been a part of it from the beginning and he wants and values their input.  .As a parent if I felt my child was making a poor decision that could influence something they have worked so hard for I would give my opinion. Does not mean they have to take it but i would not want to look back with regret. 

I gave him input about thinking that USI might be a little far and that ISU would be a easier campus to get to but in the end I let him make his decision.  I just think any parent should do that and not make a kid go somewhere they really are not comfortable with.  If KB really wants to go to IU I think his parents should let him make that decision.  If KB really wants to go to UK then that should be his decision as well.

Can you blame KB's parents for wanting him to go to UK. They are winning at a high level and will have a very good team again next year. Cal has proven to be able to win over parents and players in order to compete at this level. Now look at IU. The team this year has been a dumpster fire. CAM hasn't done a great job with Romeo although I do think that is a little overblown and more on Romeo being a one trick pony offensively. IU isn't as much of a known commodity going forward as UK and that can be scary when you are a parent and have aspirations for your son to compete in the NCAA tournament and then make it to the NBA. That being said I do think a case can be made for IU if KB really tries to make one. Hopefully he can convince his parents and he ends up a hoosier. 

7 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

We are talking about a family with a big money making future decision. Their kid has NBA talent   so that could be the deciding factor .

To me the family should give there input to KB and tell him what they think but in the end I think the decision should be KB's alone.  the draft has shown that if you can play then they will find you anywhere so to me just going to UK does not change your draft stock anymore than going anywhere else.

8 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Can you blame KB's parents for wanting him to go to UK. They are winning at a high level and will have a very good team again next year. Cal has proven to be able to win over parents and players in order to compete at this level. Now look at IU. The team this year has been a dumpster fire. CAM hasn't done a great job with Romeo although I do think that is a little overblown and more on Romeo being a one trick pony offensively. IU isn't as much of a known commodity going forward as UK and that can be scary when you are a parent and have aspirations for your son to compete in the NCAA tournament and then make it to the NBA. That being said I do think a case can be made for IU if KB really tries to make one. Hopefully he can convince his parents and he ends up a hoosier. 

Romeo is like the 3rd or 4th highest scoring freshman in the country so it is not like CAM is limiting his production offensively that much.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

To me the family should give there input to KB and tell him what they think but in the end I think the decision should be KB's alone.  the draft has shown that if you can play then they will find you anywhere so to me just going to UK does not change your draft stock anymore than going anywhere else.

I agree with this. That's what has been said the Watford's are doing with Trendon and that is part of why IU isn't his top choice right now. If it was up to his parents he would probably be wearing candy stripes.  

I’ll say this until I’m blue in the face, but class imbalance has weighed heavily on IU’s struggles this year. When you have one true scholarship senior, two juniors who’ve battled injuries and suspension, and a couple of sophomores that play... you’ll have these sorts of issues.

Hopefully Keion sees this and isn’t deterred by the lack of success by our current team. Nowadays, when you land kids such as Romeo, expectations are catapulted and if you don’t net lots of wins... it’s considered a failure. Instant gratification is a major problem, but it isn’t going away. Nobody has the patience for establishing and sustaining success. 

Archived