Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I understand where the notion comes from, but anyone that has been to a Pacers game when a Kentucky alum is on the visiting team should know that they are not forgotten.

While this is true, Anthony Davis, Cousins, Devin Booker and John Wall are the four biggest guys from UK that gets some cheers or some away jerseys in the stands at Pacers games.  All other guys do not get a lot of attention.  I would say most are forgotten outside of the top 4 or 5 

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This quote is from nearly  a year ago. However, if this is how the young man still feels, he should be allowed to have the experience without pressure or second-guessing.

It’s at the front of my mind.  Why go somewhere when I can do it at home?  You know I’ve always been intrigued by Indiana just because it’s where I grew up and where I’ve always been, so, just the thought that I could wear Indiana across my chest and be a star for them is something special”.

There will be nothing special for him to have Kentucky on his jersey.

This along with the fact that him and TJD are literally best friends still tells me that IU has a great shot. He would be just another guy at Kentucky, still I can't blame that kid wherever he decides is best for him.

I want Keion at IU as much as anyone. By all accounts, a great kid on and off the court and will be a great ambassador to the program while in Bloomington, the NBA and beyond.

That said, if we can get this effort we've been seeing the past few games for an entire season, we will be in very, very good shape. After that, Keion Brooks Jr. at IU would be the type of player, that as a sophomore, puts us in Final 4 discussions.

10 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Just to chime in here...

Probably a month ago or so, I just completely stopped asking all questions related to this recruitment. It just wasn't a real interest anymore. And, there's 4-5 people that I know that I think would have a real, good grasp on what is going on. I thought it would be better to use my time to help my wife (our child turns 1 month old in a few days), and spend more time watching IU and just cheering them on instead of being critical. Also, wanted to spend more time watching IU on the DVR and try to grasp some of the more intricate details of what they do on offense and defense. I'm quite a nerd when it comes to basketball and just wanted to spend more time on the actual team than worrying about this THIS recruitment. Other recruitments still interest me but something about this one... I don't know... Just kind of wore on and bored me, ya know? 

That said... just because I wasn't asking about things didn't mean I wasn't hearing about it. 
I think the pull of Keion wearing the Indiana jersey across his chest weighs on him as does playing for the big state school with a VERY good friend of his (TJD) and a guy he likes quite a bit (Armaan). 

Ultimately, it may seem I under-estimated the influence of someone in his inner circle. That isn't a good or bad thing for IU and isn't a good or bad thing for UK. Just seems someone maybe has a little more pull than initially and previously understood. 

I wouldn't overthink the public vs. private announcement. As someone else said to me, "Just because it's public doesn't mean it won't be UK." Also used the phrase "What if he picks UK publicly? Is someone at the Church going to kill him because they are unhappy with him choosing his own life? Probably not." So, I wouldn't word it like that (LOL) but probably echoes that I wouldn't overthink the location or time. 

Anyway, there's probably no one on earth that wants him to pick IU more than I do. Maybe someone. I don't know. I hope he does. But, if he doesn't the sun will rise and he'll have to really navigate the UK scene with development and their coaching staff if he thinks that is what is best for him. Or, if those around him think that is what is best and he buys what they are selling. 

Go Hoosiers.

Glad you decided to spend time with wife and  and little one. They grow so fast. My oldest just turned 40  and seems like yesterday. I hope Keion  decides for I U  but as you say more important things in life than recruiting players. May you and your family enjoy being together in these great times of parenthood!

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

The Kentucky way is a fraud it's an illusion but people still keep buying. 

Here's where people misunderstand the Calipari "mystique".  He doesn't produce NBA players.  He produces first round picks. He doesn't showcase talent. He showcases potential. He'll get you that first round contract, but all bets are off beyond that.

You have stars like Davis and Cousins.  Then there are guys that are decent but not spectacular like Randle and Cauley-Stein, and then flops like James Young or Daniel Orton. Just like any other high level college coach. 

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Here's where people misunderstand the Calipari "mystique".  He doesn't produce NBA players.  He produces first round picks. He doesn't showcase talent. He showcases potential. He'll get you that first round contract, but all bets are off beyond that.

You have stars like Davis and Cousins.  Then there are guys that are decent but not spectacular like Randle and Cauley-Stein, and then flops like James Young or Daniel Orton. Just like any other high level college coach. 

exactly and people believe that being a 10ppg player at UK is better than getting 17ppg somewhere else. That is not always the case. In the end KB will be a Hoosier. 

14 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Just to chime in here...

Probably a month ago or so, I just completely stopped asking all questions related to this recruitment. It just wasn't a real interest anymore. And, there's 4-5 people that I know that I think would have a real, good grasp on what is going on. I thought it would be better to use my time to help my wife (our child turns 1 month old in a few days), and spend more time watching IU and just cheering them on instead of being critical. Also, wanted to spend more time watching IU on the DVR and try to grasp some of the more intricate details of what they do on offense and defense. I'm quite a nerd when it comes to basketball and just wanted to spend more time on the actual team than worrying about this THIS recruitment. Other recruitments still interest me but something about this one... I don't know... Just kind of wore on and bored me, ya know? 

That said... just because I wasn't asking about things didn't mean I wasn't hearing about it. 
I think the pull of Keion wearing the Indiana jersey across his chest weighs on him as does playing for the big state school with a VERY good friend of his (TJD) and a guy he likes quite a bit (Armaan). 

Ultimately, it may seem I under-estimated the influence of someone in his inner circle. That isn't a good or bad thing for IU and isn't a good or bad thing for UK. Just seems someone maybe has a little more pull than initially and previously understood. 

I wouldn't overthink the public vs. private announcement. As someone else said to me, "Just because it's public doesn't mean it won't be UK." Also used the phrase "What if he picks UK publicly? Is someone at the Church going to kill him because they are unhappy with him choosing his own life? Probably not." So, I wouldn't word it like that (LOL) but probably echoes that I wouldn't overthink the location or time. 

Anyway, there's probably no one on earth that wants him to pick IU more than I do. Maybe someone. I don't know. I hope he does. But, if he doesn't the sun will rise and he'll have to really navigate the UK scene with development and their coaching staff if he thinks that is what is best for him. Or, if those around him think that is what is best and he buys what they are selling. 

Go Hoosiers.

Thanks for the chime in. Candidly, when I read your tweet a while back about not having any faith in him coming here anymore ... I thought it was smoke and mirrors.

I know it was in the middle of the losing streak, but something about your tweet felt....off. I probably read too much into it, but I thought you were trying to create doubt among the fan base. Your well-respected, well-connected, and a lot of people read what you say. It seemed like a lot of people felt he was a lock to IU, and that may not have sat right with Keion. A lot of these recruits love the suspense, and the attention that comes with it. At the same time, they want to make sure they’re making the right decision. Honestly, if I were in his shoes, and all I heard was people expecting me to commit to IU..... I’d be pissed too. 

I figured you heard from “inner-folks” that Keion didn’t like the fact that everyone thought he was such a lock to IU. I figured maybe you created a little doubt for Keion. I’m not connected, but I feel like he was ready to commit to IU a few months ago (which is why we heard about false “decision within the week” rumors.). However, I think a combination of the losing streak, fan reaction to the losing streak, fans expecting him to commit, and some family member preferences probably created a little pause for him. Maybe the Kentucky trip was a “hey let’s take one more look at Kentucky” type thing.

I’m optimistic, and I think he’ll commit to the candy stripes. It makes too much sense. We’ve made him a top priority for years now. He knows Archie, he knows the staff, and he knows how much IU fans love and want him here. He liked the campus and the facilities, and he’s comfortable here. His best friend will be here in the fall, and there’s essentially a starting spot for him when he arrives. I know Archie hasn’t promised starting roles to players, but come on, who would start in front of him?

At Kentucky, he hasn’t been a recruiting priority... he doesn’t even have a guaranteed starting spot. Calipari develops talent, sure, but he also gets top players every year. Where would he fall on the depth chart? Arch and Ed develop talent well too. The Brooks are very familiar with Archie, and Coach Ed especially. Based on what parents have said about Archie on the recruiting trail, he seems to be honest with people. So I’d imagine Brooks is more comfortable with Archie/Ed over Calipari. Lastly, do you REALLY want to be on a Kentucky roster right now with the FBI investigations heating up?

I don’t really see how Kentucky beats us on this one. Brooks to IU makes too much sense.

I received some tidbits on how they are feeling about things over in the Peegs camp.

• The announcement date wasn't news to the Peegs team, as they are involved in the announcement
  • It's a race to the finish between IU and Kentucky
  • Tom Izzo has been telling people that he is getting Brooks, but there is nothing to point to that says he is correct
  • They do not believe Brooks has actually made his decision yet. They believe he could see himself at IU, UK or MSU, but again, no signs currently point to MSU
  • There are people in his inner circle that lean IU, some that lean UK, and some that lean MSU
  • He set the announcement date to give himself a deadline more or less. He's been struggling with this decision a lot and he's basically forcing himself to have an answer by March 15th now.
  • MSU is getting desperate. They thought they were getting Carey, lost him to Duke. Thought they were getting Stewart, lost him to Washington. They've been on Brooks since he was in middle school, and losing him would be demoralizing.

1 minute ago, KDB said:

Jerry Meyer on Twitter earlier:

"I'm thinking Kentucky but I wouldn't be surprised if Keion Brooks chose Indiana."

This is the guy to watch.  When Meyer shifts, you listen.  He shifted to UK a few weeks ago...something he only does when he has solid intel.  However, his quote (or tweet for the younger kids) tells me that his initial flip was gut reaction and feeling, not so much on intel itself.  I’m going to be watching him closely as we get closer to announcement day as he usually locks in his final pick the day of.

Give credit to the Brooks camp, they’ve been tight sealed on info and have done everything within reason to hype up his announcement.  That’s what Brooks Sr. was referencing when saying it’s time to be selfish.  It’s all about his son and rightfully so.  You don’t work hard all your life to this point to deflate the air of excitement out of the ceremony of it all.  Give the man his due and let him reap the rewards of his labor.

4 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Just to chime in here...

Go Hoosiers.

Quitter...:coffee:

1 hour ago, CoachSS said:

Just to chime in here...

Go Hoosiers.

Do you happen to know if Mike Peterson is in the inner circle of this recruitment? I know he tweets about Brooks fairly often.

Last week I said i would not be surprised to hear UK finish 3rd in his selection.  Based on what i heard then what DJ posted it now makes sense. His inner circle is more than just mom and dad. The one common factor is that those in the circle are split between IU and UK But all have MSU as 2nd choice, including Dad. I thought MSU is completely out of it but maybe that's the compromise.  I dont think so. Now I understand why some have told me its IU but if some reason it's not it will be MSU does make some sense.

Has KBJ even had an official visit to MSU?  I remember a few months ago MSU canceled his visit, then a week or so ago he was supposed to go the day after his pUKe visit, but bailed on that. 

The idea of a recruit making up his mind at the very last second is kind of funny.  The kids go through months and months of visits, texts, phone calls, etc. and then basically toss a coin at the last minute. 

Archived