Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I totally buy the "public announcement doesn't mean anything" thinking.

He's 18 years old, and we all like acceptance. His announcement is in Fort Wayne, and I'd wager that the majority of "fans" attending will be of the IU variety. And while I sincerely hope no one would be rude enough to boo or catcall, silence or a lukewarm reaction might be just as disappointing to the kid.

He saw the reaction to Romeo's announcement...

But, then again, if I had 18 year olds figured out, I'd write a book...

1 hour ago, ClusterHead said:

This is the guy to watch.  When Meyer shifts, you listen.  He shifted to UK a few weeks ago...something he only does when he has solid intel.  However, his quote (or tweet for the younger kids) tells me that his initial flip was gut reaction and feeling, not so much on intel itself.  I’m going to be watching him closely as we get closer to announcement day as he usually locks in his final pick the day of.

Give credit to the Brooks camp, they’ve been tight sealed on info and have done everything within reason to hype up his announcement.  That’s what Brooks Sr. was referencing when saying it’s time to be selfish.  It’s all about his son and rightfully so.  You don’t work hard all your life to this point to deflate the air of excitement out of the ceremony of it all.  Give the man his due and let him reap the rewards of his labor.

Jerry Meyer final flip if needed will come with in 24hrs of decision. If it’s UK obviously he won’t have to flip back, but if it’s MSU or INDIANA then don’t expect movement till about the 14th. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Last week I said i would not be surprised to hear UK finish 3rd in his selection.  Based on what i heard then what DJ posted it now makes sense. His inner circle is more than just mom and dad. The one common factor is that those in the circle are split between IU and UK But all have MSU as 2nd choice, including Dad. I thought MSU is completely out of it but maybe that's the compromise.  I dont think so. Now I understand why some have told me its IU but if some reason it's not it will be MSU does make some sense.

I would prefer Kentucky to MSU.  I want Izzo the heck out of Indiana and if he goes to UK the chances of us playing him fall somewhere between slim and none.

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not sure I totally buy the "public announcement doesn't mean anything" thinking.

He's 18 years old, and we all like acceptance. His announcement is in Fort Wayne, and I'd wager that the majority of "fans" attending will be of the IU variety. And while I sincerely hope no one would be rude enough to boo or catcall, silence or a lukewarm reaction might be just as disappointing to the kid.

There is a Taco Bell just about 5 blocks from the church where he is announcing. That's a good omen, right?

56 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I place less importance on the public announcement thing than Romeo's announcement.  Langford's recruitment was much higher profile, and he announced in front of nearly 4,000 people.  I am guessing this school isn't going to be able accommodate anything like that.  That being said, Romeo's alternatives were much less toxic to IU fans.  It IS hard to imagine a kid that has said he places so much importance on wearing Indiana across his chest then telling the public in front of him that he wants to go to Kentucky of all places.

38 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Lots of questions running rampant in my mind right now... we really seem to be recruiting this upcoming class heavily. Almost expecting a couple of transfers at least, or so it seems.

We're dead even right now.  Odds are, we'll have one transfer and pretty good chance of Romeo going pro.  So, two potential slots open. 

Edit: The prediction of a transfer has nothing to do with any events of the current season.  There's probably always going to be an average of one transfer per offseason.   Some years may be 2, some years may be 0.  But odds are, it'll average out to one. 

7 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

It IS hard to imagine a kid that has said he places so much importance on wearing Indiana across his chest then telling the public in front of him that he wants to go to Kentucky of all places.

That's the part I'm banking on. Just seems irrational that he'd announce going to UK like that

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I sometimes feel sorry for these recruits with people pulling them in different directions.  Give your input but let the player decide where he wants to spend the next few years and don't pressure him to go where you want him to go.

I agree, and not only that, but that these are now called "business decisions". A high school senior should be thinking about going to which school he likes most. Who has what their looking for in a major, which coach/players does he click with, what campus do they want to be on. It's sad they have to think about which school is the best for building their brand or which is best for making them a one and done. 

I hope this kid, and every kid, pick the school/program they like best, but it's sad if you want to play and attend one school, but your "circle" is pushing you somewhere else because of the business side. 

I'll say this, I hope we get Brooks, I really do. But if his main priority is to be a one and done, then it might be best for all if he goes to UK or MSU. I'm not sure that's what IU needs right now. If he's open to staying at least 2 years, then absolutely it would be a huge get for IU. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I agree, and not only that, but that these are now called "business decisions". A high school senior should be thinking about going to which school he likes most. Who has what their looking for in a major, which coach/players does he click with, what campus do they want to be on. It's sad they have to think about which school is the best for building their brand or which is best for making them a one and done. 

I hope this kid, and every kid, pick the school/program they like best, but it's sad if you want to play and attend one school, but your "circle" is pushing you somewhere else because of the business side. 

I'll say this, I hope we get Brooks, I really do. But if his main priority is to be a one and done, then it might be best for all if he goes to UK or MSU. I'm not sure that's what IU needs right now. If he's open to staying at least 2 years, then absolutely it would be a huge get for IU. 

Yep, the chances of him being a successful one and done kid is quite small. This is not a knock on KBJ, but there are only 60ish kids worldwide that will have slots to be drafted (let alone a first round draft pick which you could argue is the real baseline for "successful" one and done material). Right now, he's around 30 in his own class and that excludes current college kids that are bigger/stronger than him + all the international players. A lot of these players are getting bad advice if the expectation is to be a one and done. The more likely scenario is KBJ is not a one and done just by looking at the #'s.  

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I would prefer Kentucky to MSU.  I want Izzo the heck out of Indiana and if he goes to UK the chances of us playing him fall somewhere between slim and none.

Maybe this is because I'm from southern Indiana but an Indiana kid going to UK is the worst. They are the evil Empire to me. 

26 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Yep, the chances of him being a successful one and done kid is quite small. This is not a knock on KBJ, but there are only 60ish kids worldwide that will have slots to be drafted (let alone a first round draft pick which you could argue is the real baseline for "successful" one and done material). Right now, he's around 30 in his own class and that excludes current college kids that are bigger/stronger than him + all the international players. A lot of these players are getting bad advice if the expectation is to be a one and done. The more likely scenario is KBJ is not a one and done just by looking at the #'s.  

Big money...Big dreams...Big risks.  Average nba salary is $5m.  You don't have to be a star...or starter.  Just get in the league...get a contract...and boom.  That's the vision.

45 minutes ago, HoosierMatty said:

Maybe this is because I'm from southern Indiana but an Indiana kid going to UK is the worst. They are the evil Empire to me. 

I'm with you.  IU just swept MSU but UK thinks they're too good to play IU.  I definitely hate Kensucky a lot worse than Sparty.  Sparty is just another league opponent to me.

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

Big money...Big dreams...Big risks.  Average nba salary is $5m.  You don't have to be a star...or starter.  Just get in the league...get a contract...and boom.  That's the vision.

Can't disagree you are set for life if you do make it. But if the more likely scenario is you don't make it in that first year, then you should plan for the best scenario under that outcome (more than one year).

Also, getting to the "real money" with an NBA contract requires at minimum first round, maybe lottery? I'm not as close of an NBA follower as some on here, but everybody keeps mentioning the second contract is where the best money is made too. If you're a second rounder, there's a solid chance you bounce around in the G League. One bad year and you could be on the outside looking in for good. At Keion's level, there are tons of guys trying to grind it out and many don't make it to the set for life kind of money they all hope for. 

1 minute ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Can't disagree you are set for life if you do make it. But if the more likely scenario is you don't make it in that first year, then you should plan for the best scenario under that outcome (more than one year).

Not disagreeing at all.  But most kids who dream the OAD dream don't think that way...unless they go to the combine and hear the bad news straight from the experts.  If that's what you're saying, then I misread your post.

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

Not disagreeing at all.  But most kids who dream the OAD dream don't think that way...unless they go to the combine and hear the bad news straight from the experts.  If that's what you're saying, then I misread your post.

No, we're on the same page. I'm unaware of any negative feedback in terms of KBJ's abilities, merely just basing off of his current rivals rankings. It's a bit of a dice roll at his level since he's not on a Romeo level for NBA teams. 

4 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I received some tidbits on how they are feeling about things over in the Peegs camp.

• The announcement date wasn't news to the Peegs team, as they are involved in the announcement
  • It's a race to the finish between IU and Kentucky
  • Tom Izzo has been telling people that he is getting Brooks, but there is nothing to point to that says he is correct
  • They do not believe Brooks has actually made his decision yet. They believe he could see himself at IU, UK or MSU, but again, no signs currently point to MSU
  • There are people in his inner circle that lean IU, some that lean UK, and some that lean MSU
  • He set the announcement date to give himself a deadline more or less. He's been struggling with this decision a lot and he's basically forcing himself to have an answer by March 15th now.
  • MSU is getting desperate. They thought they were getting Carey, lost him to Duke. Thought they were getting Stewart, lost him to Washington. They've been on Brooks since he was in middle school, and losing him would be demoralizing.

Involved how in the announcement? Involved like Garland involved or involved some other way? Pawns or actually for the good?

If they are actually involved this time around I'm not sure I like the drip campaign (of negative towards IU) that Snow has dropped over the last 3-4 weeks. He routinely stays away from fan bases yet he took time to tweet out those around Brooks camp aren't liking the negativity towards players going through rough time? Maybe he's being used?

Archived