Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

Some people are going off of PEEGS recent pick for UK and a tweet from A. Franklin that someome interpreted it as Keion may not be coming to IU. 

Yea I know the situation, but if the guy making the prediction says he is guessing then it may as well be Joe Schmo submitting a pick. And yes, a tweet misinterpreted. 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, SeeYa@roys said:

I’d love to do a readers’ poll to see where people think he’ll end up....

is that possible on here?

It is!

If you go to the Basketball Recruiting Forum and click on "Start new topic" you should see an option to create a poll.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Would some you guys really look at what you are typing.  This is not a life or death situation.  Live with whatever decision KBJ makes.  Life will go on.

I'm pretty sure we all understand that life will go on. But I thought CAM was locking down the state and when there is a possibility of losing a big fish to our hated rival, yeah that stings......

8 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I'm pretty sure we all understand that life will go on. But I thought CAM was locking down the state and when there is a possibility of losing a big fish to our hated rival, yeah that stings......

Ya just can't get them all.  Never have...never will.

I've stated before that we need players that are talented, but just as importantly promote the building of a "culture" and stability.  A recruit that makes his choice primarily based on who can get him to the pros the fastest just isn't what we need at this juncture.  I really like the idea of "locking down the borders", but honestly want the best/right players on the team.

I'm not sure what to make of statements some "insiders" on this and other forums have made alluding to KBJ assuring the staff that he was coming to IU.  It was probably B.S., but if true I sure hope we didn't let up on the recruiting trail based on something along those lines.  Still, based on everything we've been led to believe with this recruitment it seems like KBS may be the one steering junior to the south.  If that's the case, it doesn't really speak well to Schilling's recruiting prowess, especially if the one guy that knows him well isn't sold.

51 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Does it sting? Absolutely but you’re acting like CAM missed on all the states best. Pretty sure we signed what is most likely the next Indiana Mr Basketball and he’s actually rated higher than Keion. 

2 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I know......right? These guys are talking like he is already gone and it's all over. When coachSS, Mile or 0708 come in and say it's all over....THEN, I will start moving on....I'm still going with an IU lean....

Not sure why that would be the definitive answer. Since for so long we heard it was over and IU was the answer. I won’t believe it regardless until KBJ is announced. But I do hope the insiders keep posting 

8 hours ago, rico said:

Kind of like a broken record ain't it?  Speculation is fine.  Discussing is fine.  But some take this stuff waaaaaaaaaay too seriously.  We will be fine...the sky is not falling.

Could you PLEASE stop with your perspective stuff!!!! We need to melt down in peace around here!! 

Turn up sarcasm meter please.

8 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I know......right? These guys are talking like he is already gone and it's all over. When coachSS, Mile or 0708 come in and say it's all over....THEN, I will start moving on....I'm still going with an IU lean....

But Coach SS's latest didn't sound too confident for IU...just saying.

1 minute ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

But Coach SS's latest didn't sound too confident for IU...just saying.

Exactly. I guess my frustration is thinking about RP/Jerome/KB/TJD and 1 other by February/March next year and since I don't think any of them are OAD I drool at the thought of that lineup ( in 2021) when Final 4 is in Indy. Seems like dream lineups are always 1 or 2 things away for us over the last couple decades. One guy gets injured, one guy leaves early, one guy chooses another school. Always something. 

6 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

It's just frustrating when you track a kid for months and in the final stretch of the recruitment a team like Kentucky (Brooks) or Duke (Watford) come in late and change the whole dynamic of the kids recruiting...it's not a done deal but it is frustrating.

We did the same for Phinissee and Anderson.

24 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

We did the same for Phinissee and Anderson.

Difference there is we (IU) had a new coach. Much like Sampson when he reached out to Gordon after being hired....of course Archie was going to reach out. I think dbm was referencing Cal/K wasn't in on these players for years and they swing in last minute. Just a guess though on my part. 

I'm apathetic with these long recruiting battles.  The only thing I care about at the end of the day is whether CAM is getting the players that match his offensive and defensive mindset.  That will ultimately prove to be the winning strategy.  I don't really get into all this "star gazing."  I think KBJ would be a great addition to the team next year and hope he and his family would see it that way. If being a OAD is the only thing on his mind, then I really think it's best for IUBB and him to move on.  CAM is building a new culture for this program.  We need talented players for sure but we also need players who will buy into change, promote it, and build it.  That also means we need players to be involved for more than 1yr.  I simply have no interest in the UK and Duke model of OAD.  I never watch the NBA.  I only care about IUBB and the players that want to represent it.

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Difference there is we (IU) had a new coach. Much like Sampson when he reached out to Gordon after being hired....of course Archie was going to reach out. I think dbm was referencing Cal/K wasn't in on these players for years and they swing in last minute. Just a guess though on my part. 

That will be ending soon.  The new NBA rules coming down the line are going to blow up the myth of Calipari being some great producer of NBA talent.  All the guys that he "gets to the NBA" will be going straight to the pros instead of making a pit stop in college.

And Coach K is old.  He is going to be gone soon and someone is going to have a grand old time trying to replace him....

3 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

I'm apathetic with these long recruiting battles.  The only thing I care about at the end of the day is whether CAM is getting the players that match his offensive and defensive mindset.  That will ultimately prove to be the winning strategy.  I don't really get into all this "star gazing."  I think KBJ would be a great addition to the team next year and hope he and his family would see it that way. If being a OAD is the only thing on his mind, then I really think it's best for IUBB and him to move on.  CAM is building a new culture for this program.  We need talented players for sure but we also need players who will buy into change, promote it, and build it.  That also means we need players to be involved for more than 1yr.  I simply have no interest in the UK and Duke model of OAD.  I never watch the NBA.  I only care about IUBB and the players that want to represent it.

I agree 100%.  Archie and the staff need to pursue (and land) the players that are best for the success of the program (read: winning now and in the future) - not just winning a P.R. battle for in state players.  I have no problem with emphasizing recruits from in state, but if there are better fits beyond the borders, so be it.

I'd say that we're getting to the point where the staff have pretty much caught up and had the chance to get in early on future players.  All other things being fairly equal, grab the players that WANT to come here, contribute, and be a part of the program and culture (over the prima donnas that can't decide and have to string everyone along for months and months).

2 minutes ago, McHoop said:

Guess I missed Brook's pre-emptive verbal ahead of his press conference.   An awful lot of gloom and doom here and there with more than a week left before the announcement.....

McHoop

My apologies....and I'm usually very, very optimistic about IU. Always half full....but I'll admit this recruitment has me a bit ticked. Similar to Wilkes. 

8 hours ago, Max said:

I wonder where he ends up transferring after freshman year....

Another potential wild card. I don't think it's beyond possibilities that Calipari could be the next UCLA coach. It's a perfect cultural fit. He has to be looking at the Pac 12 and thinking he could own it. The SEC isn't the cakewalk it used to be. When he was at Memphis and a bunch of teams left Conference USA (LVille, Cinci, Marquette, etc), and Memphis remained,  he said that's great we'll get an automatic bid every year. In his first five years in C-USA, he averaged 23 wins. The last four he averaged 34, winning the regular season and conference tournament each year.

So would Keion join the Weasel of Westwood?

11 hours ago, btownqb said:

Was hoping the ridiculousness of calling for our coach to be fired was going to end with Crean. I'm certainly glad I don't go to Rivals if that's what is said there. Not going to lie.. that stuff is a massive drawback of mine of our fanbase. Truly makes it unenjoyable for those of us that simply want to root for their favorite college basketball team. 

Hope we get Keion. He isn't a must though. TJD was a must. 

I left rivals about 2 weeks after the Iowa loss because it got to the point where they were not even discussing basketball but making personal attacks towards each other.  They are the bottom of the barrel of our fan base and they are total idiots over there.  There are about 4 posters over there that try to run things and they are all on fire Glass and Archie and if anyone disagrees with them they make it personal.

I'll preface this by saying I have absolutely no inside knowledge on Keion or his recruitment whatsoever. Just going off some factors that I think would affect the decision...

Would Keion rather be a hometown hero, or what amounts to a (presumptively) a one year mercenary? If Keion goes to IU, even for one year, he'll be a Hoosier hero (ask the older folks about George McGinnis, or think about how Romeo will be thought of when he leaves). At Kentucky, just another one and done, or, if he stays longer, just another sophomore to recruit over (ask Quade Green).

And while I'm sure Keion will have acquaintances on the UK squad, who wouldn't want to not only play with 2 great friends, but have the pleasure of their social company off the court?

UK has 2 other SFs coming in, one rated higher, and one rated lower. Assuming both PJ Washington and Keldon Johnson go to the draft, there's still going to be stiff competition for playing time. At IU, beyond a questionable Jerome Hunter, and a developing Damezi Anderson, (assuming Romeo leaves) there will be plenty of PT to compete for.

Not even going to get into the cryptic "time to be selfish" tweet. But I will say this, his parents do know him better than anyone on the planet, and I'm sure are totally looking out for his best interest.

As far as the "experts" go, I'm always suspicious of the motives of anyone who gets paid by the click...

So, I think it's IU. Has been for a while. And if it's not, then sincere best wishes for a long and glorious basketball future.

He IS still an Indiana kid, after all...

Archived