Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

17 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Cal would get MORE of the top kids to UCLA than KY. Weather alone would do that. And Cal just might be ready for a change.

This is a great argument. West coast kids love their weather and culture. With Arizona under a cloud of the FBI probe, the elite west coast recruits are ripe for the picking.  Not to mention the Pac 12 is weaker than ever. 

I have no idea if Cal would ever consider such an offer.  But, I'm still confused how some of our very knowledgeable fanbase view UK as the unquestioned alpha when it comes to recruiting. When Coach K changed his recruiting "philosophy", Cal lost that title. And in an arms race for top 10 OAD recruits, being #2 or 3 is not the place to be. 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a theory (emphasis on theory, no inside knowledge) to add to the chaos:

I think I remember it going around that Keion wasn't thrilled that it was getting out that he was a lock to IU.  Keion/parents are upset it's not going to be a surprise and they tell their inner circle to quit spouting off at the mouth with the lock to IU stuff.  Keion wants it to be a mystery, and they want to continue to get the national attention from the writers.  So everyone in the inner circle including Keion is to say "he's torn on what to do and hasn't made up his mind."  "Nothing personal Peegs, Rabs, Snow, but we know you go on Monday night chat and start spilling tidbits that make everyone think he's a lock" - it's a business decision, a term we've heard quite a bit. Well, everyone is still saying he's a lock, and Keion gets an invitation to get to a UK game #1 vs. #5 and get treated like a king for a weekend.  "Sure, that sounds like a ton of fun and maybe it will get everyone off of the Keion to IU is a lock train."  Keion gets back from UK, and it appears to have worked - everyone is unsure, except for a few people continuing to say IU is still looking good, which of course IU fans run with.  "Okay, well we need to turn up the heat and tell everyone how much we love Cal - wouldn't be the first time Cal swept a family off their feet.  And whatever you do Keion, don't tell people that you've known for awhile because then everyone will see right through this."

This is certainly a far-fetched theory, but I don't buy that Keion honestly believes he's OAD.  He said he wants to be, but every freshman in the country wants to be a OAD.  I think it's just a goal that he has, and he's not going to accomplish that having to compete for not just minutes, but offense/points with 3-4 other studs when he gets those minutes.  Can't feed everybody, and history doesn't lie.

That's an awfully pro-IU theory, but let's face it - even with Keion next year we're probably not a final four team.  In my mind, the goal of next year's team is get the team fully integrated into Archie's style, show how much potential IU has and go all-in with the 2021 class.  It doesn't require Keion to accomplish that goal in my opinion - any guard CAM recruits will work just fine.

1 minute ago, HoosierCPA said:

Here's a theory (emphasis on theory, no inside knowledge) to add to the chaos:

I think I remember it going around that Keion wasn't thrilled that it was getting out that he was a lock to IU.  Keion/parents are upset it's not going to be a surprise and they tell their inner circle to quit spouting off at the mouth with the lock to IU stuff.  Keion wants it to be a mystery, and they want to continue to get the national attention from the writers.  So everyone in the inner circle including Keion is to say "he's torn on what to do and hasn't made up his mind."  "Nothing personal Peegs, Rabs, Snow, but we know you go on Monday night chat and start spilling tidbits that make everyone think he's a lock" - it's a business decision, a term we've heard quite a bit. Well, everyone is still saying he's a lock, and Keion gets an invitation to get to a UK game #1 vs. #5 and get treated like a king for a weekend.  "Sure, that sounds like a ton of fun and maybe it will get everyone off of the Keion to IU is a lock train."  Keion gets back from UK, and it appears to have worked - everyone is unsure, except for a few people continuing to say IU is still looking good, which of course IU fans run with.  "Okay, well we need to turn up the heat and tell everyone how much we love Cal - wouldn't be the first time Cal swept a family off their feet.  And whatever you do Keion, don't tell people that you've known for awhile because then everyone will see right through this."

This is certainly a far-fetched theory, but I don't buy that Keion honestly believes he's OAD.  He said he wants to be, but every freshman in the country wants to be a OAD.  I think it's just a goal that he has, and he's not going to accomplish that having to compete for not just minutes, but offense/points with 3-4 other studs when he gets those minutes.  Can't feed everybody, and history doesn't lie.

That's an awfully pro-IU theory, but let's face it - even with Keion next year we're probably not a final four team.  In my mind, the goal of next year's team is get the team fully integrated into Archie's style, show how much potential IU has and go all-in with the 2021 class.  It doesn't require Keion to accomplish that goal in my opinion - any guard CAM recruits will work just fine.

It sounds great and all. I would love that to be true, but why not visit MSU too then?  

22 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I thought one of the reasons they had Alford was because they got cheap

Boosters clamored for a bigger name when UCLA hired Alford, and the same pleas have continued in the hunt for his successor. The Bruins, still the most decorated men’s college basketball program in the country in terms of NCAA championships, may actually be in a situation to hire such a name this time around.

During the six years since UCLA hired Alford to replace Howland, the athletic department signed the richest shoe and apparel deal in NCAA history, announced $93 million in private donations between 2016-18 and opened the Mo Ostin Basketball Center, a $35-million basketball-specific training facility. The men’s and women’s basketball programs received a $6.5 million gift from the Jodi and Michael Price last year, a donation so large that it actually changed Alford’s job title.

He was introduced as “the Michael Price Family UCLA head men’s basketball coach.”

UCLA’s top benefactor Casey Wasserman was not officially named to the search committee, but the mega-donor’s name is not far from the discussion. Fred Hoiberg, the former Iowa State and Chicago Bulls coach, was one of the first names linked to the coaching search, primarily due to his connection as a Wasserman Group client.

Alford made $2.6 million annually and his replacement is likely due for a much larger pay check. Pitino was the highest-paid coach in college basketball during the 2017-18 season before getting fired at Louisville amid the FBI investigation into college basketball recruiting. The scandal could bring the Hall of Fame coach’s price tag down, but analyst Jay Bilas said on ESPN earlier this month that Pitino is “a bridge too far right now for major programs in college athletics.”

https://www.dailynews.com/2019/01/18/ucla-needs-to-inject-some-life-into-mens-basketball-program-with-coaching-search/

Just now, Bowhunter said:

It sounds great and all. I would love that to be true, but why not visit MSU too then?  

Yeah, that's a good question - I don't know if logistics could have played into it.  Maybe the only weekend he could spend out of town and he chose a #1 vs. #5 game.  Overnights provide an opportunity for him to see what kind of "talent" the basketball team pulls in on a normal weekend if you know what I mean ;).  

3 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

When is the last time we have ever signed two 5☆ kids in the same class.. let alone 2 burger boys?  KB definitely got snubbed

Both Andre Patterson and Neil Reid were MCDonalds All Americans.  Pat and Greg Graham was both All Americans as well.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Both Andre Patterson and Neil Reid were MCDonalds All Americans.  Pat and Greg Graham was both All Americans as well.

Thanks for the info!  

I want KB as much as the next guy, but I think some are putting too much into this one..  especially if we as a program have only ever pulled 2 five stars in twice. 

This class isnt finished,  whether KB commits or not

Im still feeling positive he will be a Hoosier

This remind you of anyone around here...

"We are F-ing Kentucky! If a kid doesn't want to be here then don't come here. I'm usually called a sunshine pumper, but really I just try to look for the positives with the team I love and usually they are easy to see. However, I'm growing tired of kids using us as a stamp that they were recruited by the best. I'm sick of kids supposedly coming here as a business decision. Come to Kentucky because we are the best in the business because we have a passionate fanbase that will treat you like gods. Because the exposure is hard to beat and so on and so on. But mainly come here because you want to play for Kentucky. 

Don't get me wrong I want the best players, but at some point, we have to reclaim the fact that this is a privilege to play here. If that means we end up with players that are the second tier guys then so be it. The funny thing is Brooks is a second tier guy and should be dam happy he has this opportunity. If a kid wants to play for his home school I get it, but we have to showcase ourselves as what we are. A very special and rare opportunity unlike any other. I guess I am getting a little irritated with recruiting. We take the best a showcase them and we take 4 stars guys and get them to their best. Like guys like Shai and Herro. Sorry for the rant. I just want kids that want to be here for the right reasons and the exposure and success we have with kids making the NBA should just be an added plus."

18 minutes ago, KDB said:

Interesting article on Keion.

One thing that stood out to me was this Evan Daniels quote.

"I definitely think there’s a little mystery, I think Kentucky has some good momentum in that one. But I think people are guessing."

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-recruiting/article227241474.html

That’s been said consistently by multiple people that there isn’t any real info just guesses and gut feelings and I think most of that is coming from people other than KB Jr himself.

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

That’s been said consistently by multiple people that there isn’t any real info just guesses and gut feelings and I think most of that is coming from people other than KB Jr himself.

I had seen speculation that was the case, I guess I just don't remember seeing it said from anyone credible. Maybe I just forgot.

Either way - It's something to hold onto for hope. 

It’s just an uneducated guess at this point. Good thing is he doesn’t necessarily fill a need, he’s more of a want.  Hunter is just as good as Brooks. Hunter the better scorer and Brooks the better athlete.  I want him in IU but it’s just icing on the cake.  

“I definitely think there’s a little mystery,” said 247Sports national analyst Evan Daniels. “I think Kentucky has some good momentum in that one. But I think people are guessing.”

Daniels, who has not yet logged a Crystal Ball pick and told the Herald-Leader on Thursday that he’s not sure when or if he will, said Brooks has been close to ending his recruitment a couple of different times in the past.

-----

Rivals.com national analyst Eric Bossi wrote Monday morning that he was still leaning toward Indiana for his Brooks’ pick, but noted he had not logged an “official” Future Cast prediction just yet. Only one new pick has been logged on Brooks’ Crystal Ball page this week: longtime Indiana reporter Mike Pegram picked UK on Wednesday night.

----

“I’m still sticking with Indiana, for now, until more credible information comes in,” Evans told the Herald-Leader on Wednesday evening. “I think it’s more of a gut (feeling). 

Here’s my take. Basically I think Keion has known for awhile where he wants to play. Then he has a couple of other schools that he thinks wouldn’t be bad either. He still knows where he wants to play. He has to think about playing time and exposure. I am sure he is confident in his abilities to go anywhere. Neither school IU Or KY players are going to make it easy for him, but I think he has a better chance at IU of seeing the floor for major minutes. Everything should point to IU . so what does it really mean. He will choose the school he really wanted to play for from the very start. Which is only he knows for sure. 

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

This remind you of anyone around here...

"We are F-ing Kentucky! If a kid doesn't want to be here then don't come here. I'm usually called a sunshine pumper, but really I just try to look for the positives with the team I love and usually they are easy to see. However, I'm growing tired of kids using us as a stamp that they were recruited by the best. I'm sick of kids supposedly coming here as a business decision. Come to Kentucky because we are the best in the business because we have a passionate fanbase that will treat you like gods. Because the exposure is hard to beat and so on and so on. But mainly come here because you want to play for Kentucky. 

Don't get me wrong I want the best players, but at some point, we have to reclaim the fact that this is a privilege to play here. If that means we end up with players that are the second tier guys then so be it. The funny thing is Brooks is a second tier guy and should be dam happy he has this opportunity. If a kid wants to play for his home school I get it, but we have to showcase ourselves as what we are. A very special and rare opportunity unlike any other. I guess I am getting a little irritated with recruiting. We take the best a showcase them and we take 4 stars guys and get them to their best. Like guys like Shai and Herro. Sorry for the rant. I just want kids that want to be here for the right reasons and the exposure and success we have with kids making the NBA should just be an added plus."

All I got from that is he has a sister named Sunshine

18 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

It's one thing to lose a recruit.  It's another to lose one from your own backyard when all of our supposed insiders have said for months was a lock and who's father was coached in college by our lead assistant.  It stings.

Stings enough to do this? WTF? Even picked up a Coach Cal avatar for good measure?

image.png.d4109921a88e79ae34020795f369aeaf.png

Archived