Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

27 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Trying to give an honest assessment here, I think the jury is still out on schilling for skills development. Romeo can hardly dribble with his left hand and can't go left without shooting with his right hand. His shot mechanics don't look good. Maybe schilling needs more time with him I don't know but lam not impressed. 

It takes an off season to really improve.  Romeo has shown improvement in both those areas and with his shot.  There is not an 100% formula for shooting mechanics.  

Shilling was a NBA skills developer, has had a private proven program, been on multiple staffs of big name coaches, etc.  A little tibit - when Yogi was struggling with his shot, he went back to Schilling who was his high school coach. It wasn't necessarily someone on Creans staff. 

Anyhow, this staff knows the game, how to play the game.  Archie alone is basketball player developer.

Mark Few said it best when he talked about player development- it really happens in the off season.  

Romeo has improved and is showing it.  As Dakitch and Fish said yesterday- the expectations were so oit of hand it is hard to notice improvement for the kid.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

It takes an off season to really improve.  Romeo has shown improvement in both those areas and with his shot.  There is not an 100% formula for shooting mechanics.  

Shilling was a NBA skills developer, has had a private proven program, been on multiple staffs of big name coaches, etc.  A little tibit - when Yogi was struggling with his shot, he went back to Schilling who was his high school coach. It wasn't necessarily someone on Creans staff. 

Anyhow, this staff knows the game, how to play the game.  Archie alone is basketball player developer.

Mark Few said it best when he talked about player development- it really happens in the off season.  

Romeo has improved and is showing it.  As Dakitch and Fish said yesterday- the expectations were so oit of hand it is hard to notice improvement for the kid.

I don't agree with what you say. Romeo wasn't developed to use both hands and still isn't, not knocking him because he could dominatell in high school but obviously not in college. Like I said we will see how the kids do in the future.  I don't think fish and dd were talking specifics but just general expectations  and I agree with that. Nice that he helped yogi but hasn't done much for this group except for free throws, of course that maybe the kids just putting in extra work

No idea what’s going to happen, but was encouraged by that video going around where Brooks junior high coach was interviewed and he said to the effect of, “the decision has been made, and I asked him if he’s going to a place where if something goes wrong he’d be happy being there for four years, and he said yes.”

That definitely points in a certain direction. 

6 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Maybe I don't see aNY improvement in romeo this year. I don't agree with dackich very often but you don't need to dribble a basketball with a SPOON! Need to develop fundamentals as well as skill. Schilling maybe good at camps I don't know I have not attended any as you must have by your comments.  Or he could just have connections! Like I said not impressed at this time maybe down the road I don't know 

Just speaking of Romeo here.  I dont recall seeing such a highly rated player, that was so one hand dominant...  that should have been addressed when he was in elementary school.. at this point you are looking at 18+ years, of muscle memory.  That definitely wont change overnight! And especially hard to do during the season...  Romeo will need to spend countless hours of his own, working the left...  and yes, my daughter used to go to champions academy a few times a month.  We saw Yogi and Bluitt fairly often, when class was held a park tudor

6 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Just speaking of Romeo here.  I dont recall seeing such a highly rated player, that was so one hand dominant...  that should have been addressed when he was in elementary school.. at this point you are looking at 18+ years, of muscle memory.  That definitely wont change overnight! And especially hard to do during the season...  Romeo will need to spend countless hours of his own, working the left...  and yes, my daughter used to go to champions academy a few times a month.  We saw Yogi and Bluitt fairly often, when class was held a park tudor

Ok  I understand where you are coming from, and yes my thoughts were mostly on romeo. You are right in the issue should have been addressed years ago

1 hour ago, Cutter said:

Ok  I understand where you are coming from, and yes my thoughts were mostly on romeo. You are right in the issue should have been addressed years ago

Just want to say:  The kid is playing the most amount of minutes on the team, playing hard core defense, scoring 16.7 points per game, 5.4 rebounds, 2.3 assists and he has issues?  Can he work on going left?  Yes....I wouldnt call it lack of development or issues.  Those are major stats.  

18 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Just want to say:  The kid is playing the most amount of minutes on the team, playing hard core defense, scoring 16.7 points per game, 5.4 rebounds, 2.3 assists and he has issues?  Can he work on going left?  Yes....I wouldnt call it lack of development or issues.  Those are major stats.  

Yes they are major stats. However if a player cannot  go to his left very well or shoot the three pointer well and is considered a shooting guard then yes I call those skill issues I don't know what else a person can say. I will go a step farther and say romeo looks to be playing not to get hurt, that is not his fault but rather the systems. I am all in on supporting the players but I try to be honest with how I see things .I will not say anymore as I think this should be about brooks thanks for the dicussion

5 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Yes they are major stats. However if a player cannot  go to his left very well or shoot the three pointer well and is considered a shooting guard then yes I call those skill issues I don't know what else a person can say. I will go a step farther and say romeo looks to be playing not to get hurt, that is not his fault but rather the systems. I am all in on supporting the players but I try to be honest with how I see things .I will not say anymore as I think this should be about brooks thanks for the dicussion

Before I go into meetings.....we are watching different games.  Romeo isnin the middle of rebounds, getting loose balls, atracking the rim.  He is getting hit hard constantly- and he is playing not to get hurt?  GIVE ME 5 ROMEOS ANY DAY!  Sorry, but I don't know what else the kid can do.  He plays with heart.  

Just now, Fiveoutofsix said:

Before I go into meetings.....we are watching different games.  Romeo isnin the middle of rebounds, getting loose balls, atracking the rim.  He is getting hit hard constantly- and he is playing not to get hurt?  GIVE ME 5 ROMEOS ANY DAY!  Sorry, but I don't know what else the kid can do.  He plays with heart.  

I have seen on several occasions he stands and looks at loose balls on the ground while other players are diving for them! The only way to avoid what you said is to sit the bench it's just basketball.  Romeo does not always play hard. I would rather have 5 juwans

I am not sure what it is but I felt bad about where this was heading a week ago, maybe its just because the team is playing so much better and is adding some more confidence overall, but I have gone back to the KBjr to I.U. bandwagon.  #200byfriday

Romeo has done more for this team than he gets credit for. Should have been freshman if the year in the conference. He brings a buzz around the state that we haven’t had. I think he has done a great job considering the expectations coming in. I’d take a Romeo ever year I could get one!

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

No idea what’s going to happen, but was encouraged by that video going around where Brooks junior high coach was interviewed and he said to the effect of, “the decision has been made, and I asked him if he’s going to a place where if something goes wrong he’d be happy being there for four years, and he said yes.”

That definitely points in a certain direction. 

Link to video please?

31 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Romeo has done more for this team than he gets credit for. Should have been freshman if the year in the conference. He brings a buzz around the state that we haven’t had. I think he has done a great job considering the expectations coming in. I’d take a Romeo ever year I could get one!

I agree with the buzz and he has helped the program but I will not be blind to the other obvious things

If he doesn’t choose us I wonder what changed his mind or if we were really a lock like everyone said we were? I don’t think the losing streak played too much of a factor. As I think recruits don’t look at current year versus the year they will be there 

1 minute ago, IUskim said:

If he doesn’t choose us I wonder what changed his mind or if we were really a lock like everyone said we were? I dong think the losing streak played too much of a factor. As I think recruits don’t look at current year versus the year they will be there 

I think that Cal used car sell type pitch probably worked with his family and telling him he could be a one and done as well.  also the losing streak certainly did not help and us being a bubble team does not look good to recruits.  Also I think how the parents were on social media especially twitter did not help with how our fans were reacting to the losing streak.  Also what you hear on message boards about him being a lock was probably not 100% accurate as well.

I’ll try to stay positive and hope that there was purposely some inaccurate information leaked to help keep the element of surprise and suspense, making that analyst pick Kentucky today. How likely that is, who knows, but heck it’s certainly a side of it to think about. 

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The Romeo talk is incredibly silly. 

Some have an agenda. The dude can flat out ball... and his defense has been well above avg the past 15-18 games. 

Different opinions I have never said he can't ball but he needs improvement in a lot of areas. I think those who say he doesn't need improvement in ball handling, shooting, not standing around or falling asleep on defense and block outs and soft slow passes are wrong

Archived