Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

If Keion chooses UK he won’t be a OAD and he will be recruited over the following year.  Hope he’s not set on the OAD thing.

To me he is definitely a 2-3 yr guy but you can bet UK is selling him on OAD. If that’s part of his reasoning he is in for a rude awakening. He’s going to get recruited over at UK. But maybe I’m wrong and he goes and puts up 15/game. I just don’t see it.

11 hours ago, SeeYa@roys said:

I honestly don’t see why Brooks would even consider UK. Think about it...

Reasons for IU:

-become the hometown hero/legend at IU. UK fans have repeatedly spelled his name wrong. Would he even be appreciated?

-immediate playing time

-play with your best friend

-Brooks will be a focal point. The offense will be designed for him. This will help showcase him for NBA scouts.

-Big Ten is the toughest conference in the nation by a mile. Better competition.

-Kentucky already has a higher rated SF in his class, would Brooks even start?

-Multiple current and former UK players have been named in the FBI Investigation. That’s a GIANT red flag. One player you might be able to explain away... multiple players suggests the problem is systemic. What does that mean for Kentucky next year when the NCAA investigates? Could Calipari get fired if they found similar evidence to what they found with Will Wade? Does Keion really want to be in that program when the sh’t hits the fan?

-father knows Schilling. Schilling has helped develop a lot of high profile/NBA players. Miller has improved Langford defensively.

-Calipari has 6 five star recruits currently on the roster. According to multiple websites, the consensus is only one is considered a top 15 pick next year. The rest are ranked lowered than Langford. I thought Calipari was the one-and-done “develop NBA players” guy? Is he actually developing players or just trying to collect as many five stars as he can?

...and my personal favorite:

-Calipari’s development of five star players nationally ranked 15th or lower is a DISASTER. This is important because Keion is ranked 23rd nationally according to Crystal Ball. Since 2010, Calipari has had 11 five star commitments with a national ranking of 15th or lower. Only one (Goodwin) has started and been a one-and-done. Two more have started both years they were there (Lamb, Washington). However FOUR have transferred and FOUR more have spent a significant part of their UK career coming off the bench.  At UK, if you’re a five star recruit ranked between 15-30 (Keion is 23)... you’re FOUR TIMES more likely to transfer than be a one-and-done and FOUR TIMES more likely to come off the bench than be a one and done.

Why would he ever think UK would be a better choice than IU?

A couple of these sounded like IU homers...

Brooks as a focal point: no question, he'd be heavily involved and likely get more minutes at IU, but I see him as one of at least 2-3 focal points with the talent here and coming. 

Big Ten as a better conference: It used to be way better but the gap has shrunk a lot in the intervening years. I'd call it very close and questionable which is the better conference in a given year. 

That being said, I'm in complete agreement with your assertion that Calipari is not a talent developer. I've referenced Skal's big slide, the Harrison twins and highly ranked Alex Poythress who stayed four years and actually went undrafted. Appreciate your research and I hope TDH has time to research and back it up. As I've said before, Cal should be able to keep most of his top ten kids in the lottery. I'm more interested in his players that move significantly in either direction, either confirming or refuting Cal's legendary development abilities (which I see as nothing more than a fairy tale).

39 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Wouldn’t insiders disappearing for a while possibly mean they were told not to say anything so they don’t spill any good news and ruin the surprise? Or would they also not say anything if they knew he was going elsewhere? A part of me thinks that if they knew he wasn’t coming to IU then they’d be willing to say so, but then again they could have still been asked to not say it so that Keion can and his family can have their moment.

Keion has to know that he’d have as good a shot at being a OAD at IU, plus he’d get to play with his close friends. He’d surely make more of a name for himself at IU than he would Kentucky. Kids from Indiana of that caliber who stay home are like gold, and get treated as such the rest of their lives. 

I don't know the insiders personally, but my guess is they would respect the family regardless of the choice.  As they should.

Side note:  an old but true story:  Bob Knight interviewed with Wisconsin before IU.  Offered the job, and he verbally accepted.  But only on the condition that it remain confidential until he could tell his people in person.  Wisconsin leaked the info to the press.  Knight had his own zero tolerance policy about that, and went to Indiana instead.  Wisconsin lost the next 1,000 games in a row, while we won national championships.  All because someone didn't keep a promise. 

Side note to the side note:  IU people in the interview with Knight said he totally blew them away.  They knew they were looking at greatness in the first 5 minutes.  He was that good.  He may have reached a point late in his career when he thought fishing was more important than recruiting (which he has admitted).  But in his prime, he was one of the very best.

Two of the insiders on this board are from my neck of the woods (a long ways from Ft. Wayne)...I doubt they have any personal ties to the Brooks family so any rumblings of respecting the family is probably not accurate. They're probably just riding this thing out like the rest of us!! JMO 

20 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

912E5185-2B17-4CA4-B404-BF4E1A04A3B6.png

La Lu is not located in Fort Wayne, he attended LA LU to improve his playing skills which will make him better in the future.  IU is not located in Fort Wayne, IU is located in Bloomington Indiana.  He would be leaving his hometown to play for either IU or UK.  :panic:

If he is truly choosing UK, why slowly release information that would hint towards a decision when he wants his decision to be this HUGE announcement and have his own time. 

Just now, HoosierJax said:

One of the family is,sounds like people in a certain fanbase need to back off

Saw that. This one is over. 

Everyone blames the losing streak, but it sounds like the issue was the fan’s reaction to it. 

Hope he doesn’t see any adversity at UK because the fans there won’t hesitate to turn on him. 

9 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

Everyone blames the losing streak, but it sounds like the issue was the fan’s reaction to it. 

Hope he doesn’t see any adversity at UK because the fans there won’t hesitate to turn on him. 

If moms not happy..nobody happy.

12 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

You guys are connecting dots that don't exist.  This decision isn't being made because of Twitter trolls.

Archived