Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Inspired by @SeeYa@roys

It may not influence today's outcome, but it needed to be said.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/column-we-agree-kentucky-isnt-right-for-everyone/

Hey this is awesome!!!

Great article... glad I could inspire!

hopefully lots and lots of recruits read this, and it hurts UK in the long term.

This is what I would say to KBJ. Do you want to get shots up at IU and being loved the rest of your life or go to UK and play 10 mins a game with them having two other top players at your spot? If you are a one and done type player, you are a one and done no matter where you go. But can you really be a one and done playing 10-15 mins a game at UK? Maybe.

7 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

The wind actually began blowing a week to 10 days before Romeo announced, it just became gusts about 24 hours before. That's what so perplexing about this one. We have been in the eye of the storm for a month or so now. 

How ya feeling about it today

I actually had some connections to Romeo... however, I know nothing with Keion. I won’t pretend to either.

i think it’ll be a mistake if he goes south and that isn’t just a bias opinion, it’s a fact. I’m not saying that he isn’t good enough to compete for minutes at uk, because we wouldn’t be recruiting him if that were the case.

Archie is trying to emphasize how much talent is in this state and that we have enough here locally to compete at the highest level, year after year. That’s no fluff or bs, that’s factual. 

I'm bullish for IU.  No connections and/or insider knowledge here...I haven't had any since Cody Zeller announced, but I have a feeling that most members of this forum have as much or more information as most of the national guys logging their picks.  Sure, there are a few exceptions among the nationals that are closer, but I'm not convinced they know either.  Keion can do everything he needs to do to further his NBA aspirations right here in Indiana closer to home, playing with guys he's played with for awhile already, while not fighting as hard for minutes.  If Calipari had a consistent track record for improving a player's draft stock, I'd be pretty negative about IU's chances, but that has been pretty clearly debunked here...lots of coaches can develop talent as well as Calipari.  I'd argue Tom Crean has a better track record of developing talent than Calipari does.

I won't be surprised at either choice, but if I'm considering Keion's future based on past development observations, my pick is Indiana.  I just have a feeling that Archie is going to put guys in the NBA regularly, even more so than CTC did and I know that Cal has plenty of disappointment among former recruits similar to Keion.  My guess is...

It's Indiana.

Only thing that keeps me having some hope is that TJD is going up for the announcement. With this being 8pm the night before his semi state game I would hope that would be a good sign.  Like I have said that if IU was not in contention I could see him going there just for support.  With TJD being an IU signee I just have a hard time seeing him traveling almost 3 hours to go up there to watch him commit to UK.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Only thing that keeps me having some hope is that TJD is going up for the announcement. With this being 8pm the night before his semi state game I would hope that would be a good sign.  Like I have said that if IU was not in contention I could see him going there just for support.  With TJB being an IU signee I just have a hard time seeing him traveling almost 3 hours to go up there to watch him commit to UK.

I think that's your best post ever Scott.  Exactly what I was thinking.

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I think that's your best post ever Scott.  Exactly what I was thinking.

Thank you, I know we don't usually agree mainly because I see thing positively and you look at the negative a lot of times but it is just sports so hopefully no hard feelings.  Just wondering if you are still going over to rivals to be in that cesspool. I would have to think the last 24 hours has been brutal over there.

Living in southern Indiana and working in the Louisville area, I speak with UK fans all the time.  For most of them I honestly feel like they could care less about Keion specifically.  They honestly barely know he exists,  They read that he is a five star and could be a good backup and they want him but honestly after about 9 o'clock tonight they wont care less if KB goes to IU.  other than the fact it will make them made that they lost a recruit to a rival and they really don't think there is any reason a player would go anywhere than NBA G league prep school UK.

I just don't see why an IU commit who is playing the biggest game of his career tomorrow down in Washington would drive several hours up the road only to watch another guy commit to IUs most hated rival.  Makes absolutely no sense and if KB was going to Kentucky he would certainly tell Trayce to pump the brakes.

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I've been saying a variation of this theme for awhile now. You could have gone further with the busts in the top 15...Alex Poythress...#7, played four years and went undrafted. Skal Labissiere...#2 and almost slid out of the first round. The Harrison twins...don't remember the details, but they were certainly busts compared to their rankings.

Lots of examples of kids not developing as expected...certainly more examples than kids you can point to that have outperformed. No question, there are plenty of examples of top kids who, as expected,  were one and done, but as stated, they could have pretty much done that anywhere.

I'll stand by my thesis that John Calipari is overrated as a developer of talent. 

I’ll do a statistical analysis “deep dive” of Calipari’s recruits. The “15-30“ ranking stats were amazing, in my opinion. It just shows that almost no development is going on for these players from where they start with him. He recruits them, and basically uses them to fill the bench.

I found another relationship that was interesting. Keep in mind that I’m going off the top of my head, and the numbers aren’t in front of me. 80% of Indiana’s five stars were still on active NBA rosters today (didn’t include Oladipo). On Calipari’s side, I think something like 60-70% of the five stars that commited made it to the NBA and played in at least one game at some point. There was a significant amount of players that were in the G-league or playing internationally however (I think it was like 25-35%). Given that present day, these players are between 18-27 years old, they’re in their prime or about to be. I found it interesting that he had such a significant population that made it to the NBA, but then washed out. Given their five star status, and how far ahead they are from their peers @ 18yr, it might suggest that hes underpreparing a considerable amount of his five stars for the NBA. Given IUs track record as one example, it seems like fringe five stars are better suited to go to a place they can play vs. sitting on the bench at UK.

2 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

In an attempt to find any other interesting information, I scoured TJD's twitter page and came across this.  Seems like KBJ's mom is all for TJD being there....

1.JPG

I'll say this...Either way Keion decides, he danged sure has a great friend...

4 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

In an attempt to find any other interesting information, I scoured TJD's twitter page and came across this.  Seems like KBJ's mom is all for TJD being there....

1.JPG

I saw the same thing...The little smiling emoji with hearts. I was thinking she put that as if to say, "ohhh, you're so sweet for supporting my son. Thanks for being such a good friend!" 

Here's how I see it playing out tonight.

Keoin is standing in front of the podium, with an Indiana hat and a Kentucky hat sitting before him.

"After a lot of thought, I have chosen..." He reaches toward the hats. A hush comes over the room...

He picks it up the UK hat, and drops it in the trash. Immediately, he rips off his tear-away dress pants to reveal the Candy Stripes he has on underneath them. The crowd roars its approval.

"It's IU, baby! Go Hoosiers!" he yells above the din.

Archived