Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

9 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I turned it off after his dad said, “ You don’t know how much this means to ME.”  I think you can get an idea of who was pushing for UK based off of that.  Anyways, good luck to KBJ.  Time to move on.

Good luck nothing.  He is playing for Kentucky.  I hope the kid never wins another game.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

He also said.....

"Coach Cal (John Calipari), it just comes down to him. He has been able to, you know, what he has been able to do is what I want to do: Be a one-and-done and make millions of dollars playing the game of basketball. Who wouldn’t want to do that, playing the game that I love and making money for it?” Brooks told Rivals.com.

I like Keion. But he clearly was not looking to be part.of something.  He made a business decision at 18 years old?

Sorry, I hope the best for him. But he got sold.in being a one and done player and making millions of dollars in a year.

I just do not see that playing out. For his sake, I hope I am wrong. I worry he will regret this decision.

Yes.  I honestly think one mistake Archie has made is focusing on this "locking the borders" nonsense.  If an Indiana kid is focused on being a one and done, he's not what we need right now - and certainly isn't ideal for building and establishing a "culture".  It's been said many times, but kids like Romeo and Keion are a gamble - and if you're not capable of reloading with a fresh one or two every year they can be counter productive to building (or in our case rebuilding) a program.

7 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

He also said.....

"Coach Cal (John Calipari), it just comes down to him. He has been able to, you know, what he has been able to do is what I want to do: Be a one-and-done and make millions of dollars playing the game of basketball. Who wouldn’t want to do that, playing the game that I love and making money for it?” Brooks told Rivals.com.

I like Keion. But he clearly was not looking to be part.of something.  He made a business decision at 18 years old?

Sorry, I hope the best for him. But he got sold.in being a one and done player and making millions of dollars in a year.

I just do not see that playing out. For his sake, I hope I am wrong. I worry he will regret this decision.

He said this?? He's been sold on a dream that rarely happens. Wow. Can't wait to check back in on Keion and his comments in a few years. 

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

All,

If you read a post with foul language, please do not quote it. Adds double work here!

Thank!

I  reported it but you must have already took it down because it wouldn't allow e to report.  I hope he got banned be cause I got banned for 3 days for a lot less than that.

Coaching staff and the players gave him every reason to go elsewhere. Kid seemed genuinely excited to play for IU but all it apparently took was one Kentucky game to completely change his thought process on what he needed out of a college experience. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the same faith in IU's future as Trayce and Armaan.

Really stings knowing that he'll likely be a two-year guy. Could have been dangerous next year/2020-21 with him, TJD and Hunter.

Idrk where we go from here. Doesn't sound like Quinoes is coming and Beverly isn't expected to become our primary scorer.

Best of luck to Ed Schilling after completely blowing this one. 

I will say I will be interested to see if this choice works out for him.  No ill will I just truly am interested to see if he will meet his expectations.  Going to UK will instantly increase his draft stock I think, which at this time seems to be nonexistent.  Good for him if he thinks he can be a OAD as honestly this is likely the best path for that.  But boy do I think Cal will keep recruiting for next year.  Long term KBs success or failure at UK could help or hurt the next battle for Indiana talent.

I would never Tweet at a kid or his mother.

wish Keion well.

BUT:

Can’t help but wonder if the Brooks family didn’t find a strange satisfaction kicking us in the gut after a disheartening season and a horrible loss, with all the IU vitriol and poison that has been spewed on Twitter this season. My point: it’s obvious that these kids’ families and friends read these message boards, so in the future, we should all be mindful of that. I’m somewhat guilty myself. This is about as far away from the feeling I thought that I would be feeling regarding IU basketball at this time, when this season began. Nevertheless, GOIU

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

He said this?? He's been sold on a dream that rarely happens. Wow. Can't wait to check back in on Keion and his comments in a few years. 

Sorry, I should have provided a link to give credit to rivals...

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/kentucky-lands-another-2019-five-star-player-in-keion-brooks

1 minute ago, Hoosierdave said:

Coaching staff and the players gave him every reason to go elsewhere. Kid seemed genuinely excited to play for IU but all it apparently took was one Kentucky game to completely change his thought process on what he needed out of a college experience. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the same faith in IU's future as Trayce and Armaan.

Really stings knowing that he'll likely be a two-year guy. Could have been dangerous next year/2020-21 with him, TJD and Hunter.

Idrk where we go from here. Doesn't sound like Quinoes is coming and Beverly isn't expected to become our primary scorer.

Best of luck to Ed Schilling after completely blowing this one. 

It didn't have anything to do with the game or with UK as a university.  It's all about Cal, being a one and done, and making millions two years from now.  Not my words - his.

1 minute ago, Rev_AK said:

I would never Tweet at a kid or his mother.

wish Keion well.

BUT:

Can’t help but wonder if the Brooks family didn’t find a strange satisfaction kicking us in the gut after a disheartening season and a horrible loss, with all the IU vitriol and poison that has been spewed on Twitter this season. My point: it’s obvious that these kids’ families and friends read these message boards, so in the future, we should all be mindful of that. I’m somewhat guilty myself. This is about as far away from the feeling I thought that I would be feeling regarding IU basketball at this time, when this season began. Nevertheless, GOIU

I still think some of it was how the mother did not like the fans reaction to players during our losing streak.  Not saying that is the only reason but I still think it played a role in this decision.

1 minute ago, rogue3542 said:

It didn't have anything to do with the game or with UK as a university.  It's all about Cal, being a one and done, and making millions two years from now.  Not my words - his.

he said during his announcement when evan daniels asked him how much the Tennessee game impacted his decision and he said something along the lines of "it defintely made me sway in that direction".

Dear dad Brooks,

Congratulations! Your son will make sure that you are taken care of. As a parent, I too have wanted my kids to be better than me. You have succeeded! You have sold your son out so that it means so much for you. 

No more schlepping at GM. No more getting all greasy and dirty. No more punching the time clock.

I am truly happy for you! You got what you want! 

Your retirement is secure, sir.

Well done

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I still think some of it was how the mother did not like the fans reaction to players during our losing streak.  Not saying that is the only reason but I still think it played a role in this decision.

Right. I also think that they mistook the obvious lack of interest by UK fans/ message boards as quiet. Too bad she doesn’t know how quickly the famed “BBN” can turn on a kid. Little does she know, they didn’t think he was good enough 

having said that, I have been deeply embarrassed by the actions of some of our fans this season, and we were not better

1 minute ago, Hoosierdave said:

he said during his announcement when evan daniels asked him how much the Tennessee game impacted his decision and he said something along the lines of "it defintely made me sway in that direction".

Fair enough;  I just feel like overall in light of his other comments that's more of a platitude of a statement than anything else.  I think this all comes down to the NBA and money, and I think Cal has filled his and his parents' heads with expectations that may be difficult for him to meet that quickly.

Archived