Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

3 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/kentucky-lands-another-2019-five-star-player-in-keion-brooks

Coach Cal (John Calipari), it just comes down to him. He has been able to, you know, what he has been able to do is what I want to do: Be a one-and-done and make millions of dollars playing the game of basketball.

I'm sorry guys, not to rain on Keion' s parade, but Cal is literally a stepping stone. Cal is using Keion and Keion is using Cal. What would Cal's team be like with several 4 star and just one or two 5 start players?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I couldn’t listen to the interview.    Do I have this right, he openly mentioned being a one and done?

Yeah...and making millions in the NBA. Not the kind of statement I expect even if that is your goal. I turned it off after that and will be terminating my Twitter follow. No longer interests me beyond looking him up in a few to see if Cal made all his hoop dreams come true.

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

I dont think I have ever heard a recruit talk about making Millions nor have I ever heard a dad saying thank you for doing this. Strange presser.

It's insane that talking so openly is allowed and not some sort of violation. I mean there are lots of kids that commit with the intention of playing one year, but I don't ever recall a kid so openly admitting that he is going to college because he has to, but could really care less about school because it's all about making millions. Recruiting, committing, and the NBA draft have ruined the game of college basketball. I miss the days where I knew the players even on hated rivals teams because they stayed for 3 or 4 years. Players like Acie Earl, Jim Jackson, Michael Finley, Shawn Respert, Rex Walters, or Jamal Mashburn. UK goes through players so quickly I honestly couldn't tell you the name of one player on their team. I'll be glad when the NBA gets rid of their stupid age rule. Let these guys go straight to the NBA where 8 out of 10 of them will flame out with nothing to fall back on. Just ask Lenny Cooke or Korleone Young. 

I really hate losing in state talent to the Evil Empire, but I feel much better after hearing Keion state his desire to use college as a stepping stone to his vision of being a one and done.  Right now, IU needs kids that are in it for the team rather than themselves to get the program back to relevance.  

So thank you Keion for opening a spot here for a team player that wants to lead a team, rather than using the university for selfish reasons.  If he had a different attitude, would have loved to have him.  Give me a Coverdale, Hulls, Graham, or Henderson all day.

Best of luck Keion.

6 minutes ago, SoInHoosier25 said:

It's insane that talking so openly is allowed and not some sort of violation. I mean there are lots of kids that commit with the intention of playing one year, but I don't ever recall a kid so openly admitting that he is going to college because he has to, but could really care less about school because it's all about making millions. Recruiting, committing, and the NBA draft have ruined the game of college basketball. I miss the days where I knew the players even on hated rivals teams because they stayed for 3 or 4 years. Players like Acie Earl, Jim Jackson, Michael Finley, Shawn Respert, Rex Walters, or Jamal Mashburn. UK goes through players so quickly I honestly couldn't tell you the name of one player on their team. I'll be glad when the NBA gets rid of their stupid age rule. Let these guys go straight to the NBA where 8 out of 10 of them will flame out with nothing to fall back on. Just ask Lenny Cooke or Korleone Young. 

I've heard guys talk OAD but never about making millions of dollars. Just selfish talk and very strange. Not a teammate I would ever want. Yes college basketball was much better when kids went straight in.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Lol, all the pearl clutching over his “one-and-done and make millions” comment is rich.  There’s literally no difference between what he and Romeo are doing... Romeo just decided to do it at Indiana.

At least Romeo had the class to try to be a team player rather than tell the world he doesn’t care about the team, only cares about the $

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Lol, all the pearl clutching over his “one-and-done and make millions” comment is rich.  There’s literally no difference between what he and Romeo are doing... Romeo just decided to do it at Indiana.

Romeo has never talked about being OAD or money.

17 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Wow... what an obviously clueless post to what Romeo Langford is as a person. Just a quick question.. and legitimate one... do you live in the state of Indiana?

13 minutes ago, Indykev said:

While he should be a OAD... as far as him talking about it and ever publicly talking about it, that's simply not who he is.. he is just better than that. Always has been, always will be. Not saying KB is a bad kid by any means... but Romeo is literally as good as they come. 

3 minutes ago, Indykev said:

So he wasn’t as open about his goals and intentions as Keion was.  What HUMILITY and SELFLESSNESS!

And to be clear, I’m not bashing Romeo here.  He’s been a fantastic, team-first player for us.  He’s also been a one-and-done with his eyes on making millions in the NBA from the first day he stepped foot on campus, no different from Keion.

10 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Hey, I know a lot of basketball players are interested in moving on to the NBA but it's a giant turnoff hearing that's your focus in going to college...nothing about team success or being excited about playing with certain guys instead it's all about how fast I can move on to fame and fortune.  Not surprised it's a goal just disappointed to hear such a shallow me-first speech.

Honestly, hearing that really cuts the sting of rejection.

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So he wasn’t as open about his goals and intentions as Keion was.  What HUMILITY and SELFLESSNESS!

And to be clear, I’m not bashing Romeo here.  He’s been a fantastic, team-first player for us.  He’s also been a one-and-done with his eyes on making millions in the NBA from the first day he stepped foot on campus, no different from Keion.

You know absolutely zero about Romeo Langford and it shows. Truthfully you should stop commenting about this. 

I think we can all agree that this year wasn’t what we/Romeo hoped for.  That being said, Romeo has been self accountable and a leader as a freshman.  When asked if he would play in the NIT, there was no hesitation that he would.

After listening to Keion’s press conference tonight, all about being a one and done and making $ in the NBA next year...do you think he would display the same team first attitude Romeo has?  Maybe I am too much old school, and maybe Keion’s attitude is how kids today think.  But I will always love the team first attitude rather than the me first attitude.

Enough said.  Best wishes Keion, and GO IU!

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You know absolutely zero about Romeo Langford and it shows. Truthfully you should stop commenting about this. 

What part of “I’m not bashing Romeo here” wasn’t clear?  I’ve had nothing but good things to say about Romeo all year.  He’s clearly a good kid, team-oriented, coachable, etc.  He’s also a one-and-done who came into college with the goal of leaving early and making millions... and my entire point is that there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But good lord, some of you Romeo stans are so sensitive it’s almost creepy.  I’m not blaspheming against the name of St. Romeo, settle down.

32 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

There is nothing wrong with being ambitious.

But you don't wear it on your sleeve. 

That's the difference.

7 minutes ago, Long Duk Dong said:

There is nothing wrong with being ambitious.

But you don't wear it on your sleeve. 

That's the difference.

Fair enough.  I look at it as an honest, off-hand comment from an 18 year old kid... All elite recruits have the same goal, so I don’t know why you’d bash a kid for being up-front about it.  IU fans gotta rationalize it somehow, I guess.

42 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I am definitely an advocate of letting kids pursue their dreams and make the most of their opportunities...whether it’s OAD talk or otherwise. Heck, we’d all like to make millions playing a sport we love.

But that doesn’t mean you broadcast it as your main drive / reason for succeeding in my opinion. And yes, I absolutely view Romeo in a different light for not taking Keion’s outward approach of talking about making millions. That combined with the fact Keion isn’t even on a round 2 draft board? A bit weird if you ask me...just my two cents if I’m being direct about what I think.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

yes but what is funny he is not on any 2020 mock drafts and UK has a 5 star SF who is considered a top 10 pick that will play in front of him.

He will play 12-15 minutes a game next year, score 5-6 points a game. Declare for the draft because that’s dad’s plan, not get drafted because he’s not good enough yet to be OAD and end up in the G League (maybe even playing for the Mad Ants). Only time will tell if he becomes good enough to take up a NBA roster spot. I guarantee he would’ve not only played more at IU his freshman year, but he would’ve had the opportunity to showcase more of his game than he will at Kentucky next year.

I respectfully disagree with some of you. I felt he wasn't coming a while ago, and I don't think IU would have given him any edge over UK or any other school. 

So, in my mind it's just oh well. I wish him well, and I think IU will be just fine. 

He'll be a damn good college player. I can't wait to see a healthy IU with Hunter, Franklin, and TJD. On to the next game!!

Go Hoosiers!!

2 hours ago, JEFFVETTE said:

I respectfully disagree with some of you. I felt he wasn't coming a while ago, and I don't think IU would have given him any edge over UK or any other school. 

So, in my mind it's just oh well. I wish him well, and I think IU will be just fine. 

He'll be a damn good college player. I can't wait to see a healthy IU with Hunter, Franklin, and TJD. On to the next game!!

Go Hoosiers!!

I don’t believe he will get 25-30 minutes per game at Kentucky next year like he would’ve at IU. He definitely won’t be one of the focal points there. I don’t see him being anymore than a role player next year on that team. You’re right about IU being just fine next year. I honestly don’t care if he does well or not next year because I don’t have any interest in anybody that doesn’t play at IU. 

Archived