Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

51 minutes ago, MPM said:

I don’t believe he will get 25-30 minutes per game at Kentucky next year like he would’ve at IU. He definitely won’t be one of the focal points there. I don’t see him being anymore than a role player next year on that team. You’re right about IU being just fine next year. I honestly don’t care if he does well or not next year because I don’t have any interest in anybody that doesn’t play at IU. 

Fair enough brother!

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So he wasn’t as open about his goals and intentions as Keion was.  What HUMILITY and SELFLESSNESS!

And to be clear, I’m not bashing Romeo here.  He’s been a fantastic, team-first player for us.  He’s also been a one-and-done with his eyes on making millions in the NBA from the first day he stepped foot on campus, no different from Keion.

Yes....but just like Justin Smith's Dad....there are certain things you say and don't say in public. Keion failed on this one. Not much to defend there. Kid went 0-1 in his first media session (one drawback to LaLu is not getting used to media). People will remember that type of comment for years....especially if he doesn't make the league. 

Someone will always ask him how's Cal and those millions of dollars doing if he ends up like a Teague or countless others who spend time on the G League bus. 

In the news we learned that Steve Alford was down in Lexington with his buddy Coach Cal and that was the U of Tenn. weekend when Kentucky won big.  Brooks was there on formal recruiting trip.  Thanks Steve Alford you worthless D BAG.   Anyhow,  how do we miss out on having 2   5 Stars by adding Brooks ?  A Top 10 recruiting class for 2019... To where we are right now?  Archie better have some tricks up his sleeve.  The bench was hurt, depleted back when Green had head problems and sat out 3 games in January and Phinese got hurt.  That stretch cost us a lot.   Morgan played lights how but tired in the Iowas game and real tired at the end of the Purdue game at home.   Love that guy.   Romeo never had that huge break out game.  Softy.  Started playing good D but still got burned countless times in the Ohio State game earlier this week.   IU hasn't been able to defend the 3 since Mike Davis was coach.  What is that ?  But all of this cost us a bad record,  a birth in the NCAAs.   Keion Brooks.    BACK TO RECRUITING   We lose all those games in January and February and that doesnt help.   But Brooks said Kentucky teaches you how to win and prepares you for the next level etc etc.   They certainly have the portfolio to prove that.   Coach Cal has figure out how to stay in the guard rails with NCAA recruiting.  Face it,  he's still got a job and they are only the second shadiest team in the blue grass state.   But what he does works.   For recruiting.    And a winning record and making noise during March.   SILVER LINING-  Fast forward to Jackson -Davis winning the Gatorade Player of the Year for the State of Indiana.  THIS IS HUGE     Why did he decide on IU so early and why that didnt help us in recruiting Brooks more than it did...?  All good questions.  But Jackson-Davis had good family input with his father Dale Davis.  Legendary NBA hall of famer.   Let s start with that.   And the Indy Heat AAU  program where they both played ,  we all thought that would have helped keep those 2 AAU team mates together.     I'm over it on Brooks.   But Archie better have some tricks up his sleeve.  There are some great 4 stars left and some great 3 stars left in the recruiting mix.     Langford- another story.  Very soft for the NBA.   Stay another year or I'm over him too.  He can go to Europe and make some good money and get the experience or stay another year.   Over it.    

35 minutes ago, INDYSMITTY19 said:

In the news we learned that Steve Alford was down in Lexington with his buddy Coach Cal and that was the U of Tenn. weekend when Kentucky won big.  Brooks was there on formal recruiting trip.  Thanks Steve Alford you worthless D BAG.   Anyhow,  how do we miss out on having 2   5 Stars by adding Brooks ?  A Top 10 recruiting class for 2019... To where we are right now?  Archie better have some tricks up his sleeve.  The bench was hurt, depleted back when Green had head problems and sat out 3 games in January and Phinese got hurt.  That stretch cost us a lot.   Morgan played lights how but tired in the Iowas game and real tired at the end of the Purdue game at home.   Love that guy.   Romeo never had that huge break out game.  Softy.  Started playing good D but still got burned countless times in the Ohio State game earlier this week.   IU hasn't been able to defend the 3 since Mike Davis was coach.  What is that ?  But all of this cost us a bad record,  a birth in the NCAAs.   Keion Brooks.    BACK TO RECRUITING   We lose all those games in January and February and that doesnt help.   But Brooks said Kentucky teaches you how to win and prepares you for the next level etc etc.   They certainly have the portfolio to prove that.   Coach Cal has figure out how to stay in the guard rails with NCAA recruiting.  Face it,  he's still got a job and they are only the second shadiest team in the blue grass state.   But what he does works.   For recruiting.    And a winning record and making noise during March.   SILVER LINING-  Fast forward to Jackson -Davis winning the Gatorade Player of the Year for the State of Indiana.  THIS IS HUGE     Why did he decide on IU so early and why that didnt help us in recruiting Brooks more than it did...?  All good questions.  But Jackson-Davis had good family input with his father Dale Davis.  Legendary NBA hall of famer.   Let s start with that.   And the Indy Heat AAU  program where they both played ,  we all thought that would have helped keep those 2 AAU team mates together.     I'm over it on Brooks.   But Archie better have some tricks up his sleeve.  There are some great 4 stars left and some great 3 stars left in the recruiting mix.     Langford- another story.  Very soft for the NBA.   Stay another year or I'm over him too.  He can go to Europe and make some good money and get the experience or stay another year.   Over it.    

One question........Are you over it?

44 minutes ago, INDYSMITTY19 said:

Welcome to the forum! That's a heck of a first post. About time you made it over here.😉

Paraphrasing Archie’s description of OAD players he wants at IU, “Players that buy into the team. Not just any good player.”

KBJ prioritizing draft value over the team does not align with the philosophy of Archie or what IU fans value. I’m happy to move on without him

10 minutes ago, mookied39 said:

Anybody there.....or able to watch.....or do the Twitter thing.......What if any was TJD's reaction?

Didn't think it was possible but he and Franklin came across looking even better last night. TJD was poised, did interviews and genuinely happy for his friend. All I know is we have 2 very high character and highly ranked guys coming to Bloomington next year. Depending on what happens this off season...add those two along with Rob/Jerome we'll have a very, very good core for years to come. 

If all the issues that were speculated about are fixed....Davis/Justin/Devonte/Al in addition to the 4 I mentioned can be a very good team I believe. 

8 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Fair enough.  I look at it as an honest, off-hand comment from an 18 year old kid... All elite recruits have the same goal, so I don’t know why you’d bash a kid for being up-front about it.  IU fans gotta rationalize it somehow, I guess.

You can still be honest by saying something like "my ultimate goal is the NBA and I feel Coach Cal gives me the best chance to do that" and don't even mention the millions. More or less says the same thing without sounding like he's all about the money.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Didn't think it was possible but he and Franklin came across looking even better last night. TJD was poised, did interviews and genuinely happy for his friend. All I know is we have 2 very high character and highly ranked guys coming to Bloomington next year. Depending on what happens this off season...add those two along with Rob/Jerome we'll have a very, very good core for years to come. 

If all the issues that were speculated about are fixed....Davis/Justin/Devonte/Al in addition to the 4 I mentioned can be a very good team I believe. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Yes....but just like Justin Smith's Dad....there are certain things you say and don't say in public. Keion failed on this one. Not much to defend there. Kid went 0-1 in his first media session (one drawback to LaLu is not getting used to media). People will remember that type of comment for years....especially if he doesn't make the league. 

Someone will always ask him how's Cal and those millions of dollars doing if he ends up like a Teague or countless others who spend time on the G League bus. 

Now this I can agree with... You better be good enough to back up that kind of talk, and I’m not sure Brooks is.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Now this I can agree with... You better be good enough to back up that kind of talk, and I’m not sure Brooks is.

Yep. Obviously he's very good. No denying that but talking so openly about millions and OAD.....it's funny I haven't heard Zion say that at all and he's probably going to sign a $100M+ shoe deal here in about 4 weeks. 

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Obviously he's very good. No denying that but talking so openly about millions and OAD.....it's funny I haven't heard Zion say that at all and he's probably going to sign a $100M+ shoe deal here in about 4 weeks. 

Plus the fact, Zion is still in college, and Nike just designed a new shoe, just for him.  I am an old guy, who could care less about a sneaker.  But these new ones look cool, and different than most.  I can imagine younger folks wanting a pair.  By blowing out his sneaker.... Zion just made a mint for himself and Nike, IMHO. 

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Plus the fact, Zion is still in college, and Nike just designed a new shoe, just for him.  I am an old guy, who could care less about a sneaker.  But these new ones look cool, and different than most.  I can imagine younger folks wanting a pair.  By blowing out his sneaker.... Zion just made a mint for himself and Nike, IMHO. 

Yep! I think the night it happened we were joking about how that exact scenario would play out. Nothing against you Western folks but I hope Zion ends up in Eastern or Midwest time zone at next level and not Phoenix. I'd like to see how his game translates and if he plays for Phoenix I probably won't see him ever again....haha.

23 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I wonder if the pUKe board is up to 10 pages yet...….

Living down here in E'ville, I'm in the middle of big blue country and I had to see our local TV station mention pUKes win last night and also their big commit from Brooks.....

Disheartening

Just finished checking Rupp's Rafters. The new thread on getting Brooks is just over two pages.

Favorite post from the thread :  "Is Brooks a PF ?  A 2019, or a 2020  ? "

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Just finished checking Rupp's Rafters. The new thread on getting Brooks is just over two pages.

Favorite post from the thread :  "Is Brooks a PF ?  A 2019, or a 2020  ? "

I believe he will be a forgotten player there.  There are so many that have went there just like books to transfer or ride the bench.  I hope he succeeds but he would have long been remembered here in his home state.

:ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep! I think the night it happened we were joking about how that exact scenario would play out. Nothing against you Western folks but I hope Zion ends up in Eastern or Midwest time zone at next level and not Phoenix. I'd like to see how his game translates and if he plays for Phoenix I probably won't see him ever again....haha.

Ain't that the truth. As for me, living in the Mountain Time Zone, plus being retired, and not having to get up the next morning for work, I have what I consider to be a great time zone to catch all games, college and or NBA.  I just started watching the Nuggets.... again... this year.  Many of their games are late games for the majority of people in the country.  And I am here to tell them.... the Nuggets are GOOD !  

Archived