Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

11 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

This is my last post on the KBJ thread, Trying to understand why we are still talking about him after his choice last night? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I think it's just the transition from the depression phase into the acceptance phase...

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Indykev said:

Romeo has never talked about being OAD or money.

And he has not played that way.  OAD players bring a fragile balance to a team.  Romeo has been a great team player.   do not know how others will play out.  Brooks sounds  a bit different.

16 minutes ago, Petertucky said:

And he has not played that way.  OAD players bring a fragile balance to a team.  Romeo has been a great team player.   do not know how others will play out.  Brooks sounds  a bit different.

And that is a great point. One of the points I tried to make last night was that Brooks may have watched the way Romeo played this year (thinking he didn't reach the unreasonable expectations some had for him) and attributed it to Archie forcing Romeo to play within the offense while Calipari "lets players play."

I think it was more as you said...Romeo being a team player

I am in my 50s.  My love of iu started in the early 70s as an elementary student.  Kentucky beat us in the tournament.  It is rumored knight cried.  I may have too.  They are by a long shot the nemesis.  Purdue is not even close, though they are next.  I grew up in this state.  Always have lived here.  Went to iu.  So did wife. So did dad, mom, sister, daughter, and mother in law.  No Hoosier goes to Kentucky.  They just don't. Never.  I don't understand how you can aspire to  having iu on your chest and go to uk.   I will now leave this thread.

I said a couple weeks ago in this thread that I definitely hoped Brooks picked IU, but that if he was dead set on being one and done and if that was his focus/motivation then I hoped he would pick UK. 

I’m just glad he answered the question outright so we didn’t have to guess why. Again, I would have loved to have him, but given his reasons for picking UK, this was a good miss. I’m glad he picked UK. 

Give me a shooter/scorer like the McNeil JUCO kid for 2-3 years, and maybe Beverly or Quinnoes, along with a healthy Hunter, Race and Davis, and we’ll be fine, maybe even better. 

Agree, BGlease...most of the time, when a kid picks another school...especially a school with a high proportion of one-year players (or transfers), it probably is for the best and knowing what I know now about his priorities, I think that's the case here. If Keion had chosen IU with the determination to be OAD, who knows what locker room problems that may have created if he didn't get the minutes & shots he thought he needed to showcase his talents?  Yes, I'm disappointed that he wasn't who I thought he was, but given what I heard and saw last night, I'm no longer disappointed that he didn't choose IU.  Cal has a way of getting kids like Keion to play as a team, but I'm not sure he wouldn't have been a distraction in Bloomington. In the end, I think it's a good choice for everyone.

...and with that...catharsis complete. I'm done on the subject.

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Agree, BGlease...most of the time, when a kid picks another school...especially a school with a high proportion of one-year players (or transfers), it probably is for the best and knowing what I know now about his priorities, I think that's the case here. If Keion had chose IU with the determination to be OAD, who knows what locker room problems that may have created if he didn't get the minutes & shots he thought he needed to showcase his talents?  Yes, I'm disappointed that he wasn't who I thought he was, but given what I heard and saw last night, I'm no longer disappointed that he didn't choose IU.  Cal has a way of getting kids like Keion to play as a team, but I'm not sure he wouldn't have been a distraction in Bloomington. In the end, I think it's a good choice for everyone.

...and with that...catharsis complete. I'm done on the subject.

Cal has a way to get his kids to play because of the NBA exposure he creates for them at practices and games.  It's basically a combine show throughout the season.  It is his strategy and it works well.  No disrespect to it.  Same thing at Duke.  The USA basketball and Olympics only helps with connections as well. 

14 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

"Coach Cal (John Calipari), it just comes down to him. He has been able to, you know, what he has been able to do is what I want to do: Be a one-and-done and make millions of dollars playing the game of basketball. Who wouldn’t want to do that, playing the game that I love and making money for it?” Brooks told Rivals.com.

To me, this is the most incredible thing to come out of the entire scenario. If this really is the attitude, then I think we dodged a major bullet by him not coming to Bloomington. This is a very generous board. We all know that, but it's worth entertaining that amidst all the well wishes and no ill feelings, this kid might not be who most thought he was. It might be worth entertaining that this particular kid doesn't embody anything we want out basketball players to be about. 

I will say that if not for this statement I would have been pretty disappointed that he didn't come to Indiana given everything he's said in the past about what it would mean to play for us. After this quote, however, I'm glad he's not suiting up for us. That isn't sour grapes. It might have been before the above statement, but afterwards? This kid is a charlatan that I think most of us will never think about again unless it's to check on his failures.

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

This is my last post on the KBJ thread, Trying to understand why we are still talking about him after his choice last night? 🤷🏼‍♂️

13 minutes ago, TN_Hoosier said:

I'm ready for this thread to disappear!

I agree! I was optimistic Keion might join us. Now that he has moved on, its time for us to move as well. There are other recruits out there that we can get excited about. Not sure who the next will be to get 200 pages but someone will eventually. 

Goodbye Keion. 

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

This! Why are we still talking about it/him. He truly will be forgotten everywhere outside of Fort Wayne. And I would go as far to say a lot in Fort Wayne will probably forget about him too since he went to LaLu.

Any votes for shutting this thread down?

3 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Like him or not, this is unacceptable. We don’t have to watch him, and we can criticize all that we want, but this is ridiculous. I know he’s a U of L fan, but come on... 

27D80A99-3DF4-4293-BCF9-C26D177F345F.jpeg

That is totally ridiculous and these are the type of comments that are going to hurt us in recruiting.

Keion needs to stop engaging with the rif raf on twitter.  You get a distorted view of the world over there.  I’m serious. It’s like salacious mind candy for him.  

We all function in the real world. Most people are good and are just doing their level best trying to  live good lives. If you watched twitter, you’d think people do nothing but hate each other, get violent, make threats, and wish you harm.

i don’t get what’s so hard for people to understand.  If his parents can’t figure it out, get a grandparent or uncle or aunt or coach. Stay the bleep away from the rif raf on twitter and stick to what you see in the real world, which I’d imagine is exceptionally good for a kid like Keion.  

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Plus the fact, Zion is still in college, and Nike just designed a new shoe, just for him.  I am an old guy, who could care less about a sneaker.  But these new ones look cool, and different than most.  I can imagine younger folks wanting a pair.  By blowing out his sneaker.... Zion just made a mint for himself and Nike, IMHO. 

The funny part of the shoe blow out was the shoe was the Paul George model. For us Pacer fans anyway.

The great thing about twitter is that if you don't pay attention to it, you can totally forget it exists. Too many people are addicted to it and social media in general.

No matter what you are passionate about in life...sports, hobbies, politics, religion...there will someone on Twitter ready to knock the chair out from under you and your opinion. And usually in way they couldn't if you were standing face to face.

I do have a twitter account, but only use it to pull in the info I'm wanting to keep track of. These parents of high profile youth need to step away from it as that meat grinder is going to continue to grind.

47 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Keion needs to stop engaging with the rif raf on twitter.  You get a distorted view of the world over there.  I’m serious. It’s like salacious mind candy for him.  

We all function in the real world. Most people are good and are just doing their level best trying to  live good lives. If you watched twitter, you’d think people do nothing but hate each other, get violent, make threats, and wish you harm.

i don’t get what’s so hard for people to understand.  If his parents can’t figure it out, get a grandparent or uncle or aunt or coach. Stay the bleep away from the rif raf on twitter and stick to what you see in the real world, which I’d imagine is exceptionally good for a kid like Keion.  

Even on Twitter, 99/100 of the tweets directed at Keion and his family were overwhelmingly positive... They’re going out of their way to focus on the 1% that weren’t.  Franklin chimed in about that specific tweet as well, and TJD did the same thing during his recruitment.  Doesn’t make them bad people or justify the negative comments, but TJD, Franklin, Brooks, and their families obviously love the drama.

Archived