Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

Well let's just look at the facts.  He played in a game Friday night, a game in which North Side got beat.  Then the very next night he was asked to leave and did not make the trip to Elkhart Central.  Makes me think the coach found out something about Brooks' activities Friday night after a loss?  But who knows.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, jimmygoiu said:

Brooks practiced with his high school team last eve.  Maybe the differences have been worked out.

Kids make mistakes. So do adults. Hopefully this issue can go away and both sides find some maturity in handling notoriety that comes with a kid like Brooks Jr. and his recruitment. 

Now if we see 3-4 more issues ala Lyle I may change my mind but by all accounts this appears to be a one time issue.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

L'est not forget.......Sean Kline got in trouble his senior year at Huntington North.

History is littered with them. Some get public attention and some schools how to keep things quiet for the better of all parties involved. Hopefully this is just a small bump but I hope the "parents" get this situation controlled. 

I just want him to come to IU, I don't care if stops playing at half time in sectionals and hops on a flight to attend prep school in Alaska. He's not out there doing Jaquan Lyle stuff.

This is a situation where (I assume) people are trying to do what's best for KB. I don't have a big issue with that. 

Let's just get him in candy stripes and send the message that the borders of our state are closed.

7 hours ago, rico said:

Well let's just look at the facts.  He played in a game Friday night, a game in which North Side got beat.  Then the very next night he was asked to leave and did not make the trip to Elkhart Central.  Makes me think the coach found out something about Brooks' activities Friday night after a loss?  But who knows.

Seems to be some communication issues between him and the head coach. 

http://www.indianasportscoverage.com/updating-situation-keion-brooks-jr-fort-wayne-north-side/

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

Seems to be some communication issues between him and the head coach. 

http://www.indianasportscoverage.com/updating-situation-keion-brooks-jr-fort-wayne-north-side/

Agreed. Seems like coach didn't like his post game speech for some reason(s). From the article it sounds like Brooks took accountability for the loss and was being a leader and was trying to push his teammates. If that's truly the case, it seems like it's on the coach not Brooks. I guess time will tell...

14 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Agreed. Seems like coach didn't like his post game speech for some reason(s). From the article it sounds like Brooks took accountability for the loss and was being a leader and was trying to push his teammates. If that's truly the case, it seems like it's on the coach not Brooks. I guess time will tell...

Norman Dale sucked until Jimmy started playing. At IU it's always about how we get the best players. Will spin it accordingly from there. haha..

2 hours ago, cybergates said:

What's most interesting is the head coach is a former NSHS student who was in school with Sr. and has had a lot of success: http://coach.homestead.com/files/Shabaz.Khaliq.htm So something real must of went down. I am assuming Jr. called out the coach in his post game speech. 

17 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

What's most interesting is the head coach is a former NSHS student who was in school with Sr. and has had a lot of success: http://coach.homestead.com/files/Shabaz.Khaliq.htm So something real must of went down. I am assuming Jr. called out the coach in his post game speech. 

That's along the lines of what I was thinking. Or said something perceived by the coach to be calling him out or questioning him.

The slant of the article makes it sound like the coach is being a tool, but before you pass judgment, a person has to know what set the coach off.  If Keion was taking responsibility for the loss and trying to be a leader, he deserves a big thumbs up, provided he wasn't being disrespectful to the coach in the process.

12 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

The slant of the article makes it sound like the coach is being a tool, but before you pass judgment, a person has to know what set the coach off.  If Keion was taking responsibility for the loss and trying to be a leader, he deserves a big thumbs up, provided he wasn't being disrespectful to the coach in the process.

I agree, but I highly doubt the coach would just tell a player to leave if he was simply taking accountability for a loss. This is a team that almost won state last year. So kicking your best player off the team for any length of time is a pretty drastic measure to take for a simple speech. I'm sure they'll reconcile, but based on the various conflicting reports, it's a pretty odd story. 

A lot more to this than what is written in this last article. No coach, no matter how stupid, is going to kick off his best player for him saying my bad after a loss. I could see if Brooks said F this coach, lets play for ourselves, stop listening to him, give me the ball and I will get us there. That would piss off a few.

On 1/25/2018 at 4:55 PM, Indykev said:

A lot more to this than what is written in this last article. No coach, no matter how stupid, is going to kick off his best player for him saying my bad after a loss. I could see if Brooks said F this coach, lets play for ourselves, stop listening to him, give me the ball and I will get us there. That would piss off a few.

On 1/25/2018 at 4:55 PM, Indykev said:

Along with By Hey and Glen Heaton, the current coach is probably the most successful in the last 50 years (don't know much about pre 60s besides a state game appearance in 55) . And winning percentage-wise, I would guess the best, obviously with way less seasons coached. Being a NS grad, I probably find this more interesting than most. So I apologize if others are bored with this topic. http://wane.com/2017/03/24/ex-north-side-boys-basketball-coach-hopes-for-a-state-championship-win/

Update: https://www.prepballstars.com/?p=2059

Archived