Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

Regarding Brooks (sorry for the tangent on Davis), he continues to be right after TJD on my list of wants.  Since they play together, maybe we can work this out with both.   Schilling being Brooks Sr.’s Coach has to help.  I like Keion’s aggressive style and demeanor, and I like the signal on in-State recruiting, particularly in a critical area in the state where it would be nice to improve our foothold.  There are potential additional ancillary benefits we get from Brooks.  

I know we are on some guards, but I’d also be very interested in Brandon Newman and/or Alex Hemenway.  Newman has improved his shooting.  Hemingway can shoot and has a good attitude (interested in defense, etc).  If Romeo is one and done, though, we need an immediate infusion there.   Maybe Justin Hunter can be an answer.  I’d doubt that Anderson could in terms of defensive quickness and handle.  

I suspect we have 4-5 spots in the end for that class.  (Morgan, Fitzner, possibly Romeo, possibly a normal transfer or two based on anticipated PT).  

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If anyone is going to transfer we should be hearing about it soon since the semester just ended tis week.

I think it honestly makes sense for Deron to transfer.  He just doesn't fit into Archie's system.  And if he's not going to be healthy he could use this season to rehab while he sits out.  I doubt he plays much this season anyway and if TJD comes in he might not play much next season either.  A coach like Kelvin Sampson could probably do wonders with De'Ron.   I just don't see it here unfortunately. 

Just to piggyback on the topic of Davis redshirting, the good thing is that such a decision doesn't have to be made for several months.  At the beginning of the season, the staff will have a better idea as to the extent of his recovery.  Let him practice when he's able and don't play him until fully recovered.  If that is slow to occur, then I can see a great benefit in going the redshirt route.  Unless he's back to form, DD will be looking at either getting limited minutes and wasting a year.  Of course if he redshirts, he can expect to be much closer to full strength for the following year but will likely be facing more competition for playing time.  We all hope he can recover quickly and fully, however overly optimistic that might be.

Archie locked up a top 10 recruiting class despite a 16-15 season with losses to Indiana State and Fort Wayne. The possibilities of 2019 recruiting class after the year we are about to have make me green with envy! Hoosiers about to make some noise

On phone so can't send link. Head coach st Keion's school is resigning to take same position at Richmond HS.

Interesting turn of events 

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/2018/05/08/north-side-coach-shabaz-khaliq-expected-to-be-named-head-coach-at-richmond-high-school/

Really vague...Richmond was 8-27 last year--that might be a typo.

North Side was the coach's alma mater. With the players he has had, and who he has coming back, I see no sense in the decision.

Something smells fishy on the near north side of Ft. Wayne....and it's not the river that runs right along the school

If Brooks keeps putting up the numbers he has been in the last few AAU events he is going to really rise up the rankings.  I can see him being top 15 in the class if he can continue his outstanding play.  I really want him at IU, bit we have plenty of great options we are in very good position with that he is not a necessity, but would be damn nice to have.

37 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Interesting quote over the weekend from Brooks. He's definitely keeping an eye on IU, but the competition is stiff and getting worse.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/keion-brooks-jr-might-build-relationship-with-romeo-langford-to-evaluate-indiana/

I really liked seeing Keion not being able to hold back a smile when he was asked about what he thought of Romeo going to IU. Nice to see kids getting excited about the future of our program.

34 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I really liked seeing Keion not being able to hold back a smile when he was asked about what he thought of Romeo going to IU. Nice to see kids getting excited about the future of our program.

TJD had an interview last week where the only smile he cracked the whole time was when he was asked about going to the same college as Brooks.  I think there might actually be something to that.

6 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/2018/05/08/north-side-coach-shabaz-khaliq-expected-to-be-named-head-coach-at-richmond-high-school/

Really vague...Richmond was 8-27 last year--that might be a typo.

North Side was the coach's alma mater. With the players he has had, and who he has coming back, I see no sense in the decision.

Something smells fishy on the near north side of Ft. Wayne....and it's not the river that runs right along the school

It's been said by several that he is a real tool and was at least mostly at fault for Keion being temporarily sidelined and rumored to prep school last year.  Frankly, it sounds like he may have worn out his welcome at his alma mater.

I enjoy hearing this kid talk. He’s very well spoken. Definitely looks like his coach was the phony, which makes me change tune on getting watford over him.... but deep down I know my boy Ed and Arch will bless us with the best.

20 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

TJD had an interview last week where the only smile he cracked the whole time was when he was asked about going to the same college as Brooks.  I think there might actually be something to that.

Stories out, including yours about Brooks, and thanks for that...... that both TJD and Brooks are talking about the impact Romeo's decision is influencing them. So much so, that both are saying they would love to play with Romeo. 

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Stories out, including yours about Brooks, and thanks for that...... that both TJD and Brooks are talking about the impact Romeo's decision is influencing them. So much so, that both are saying they would love to play with Romeo. 

I guess I never thought of the idea that TJD and Brooks could be recruiting Romeo to stay another year. Interesting and different outlook than the conventional Romeo recruiting class of ‘19

It sounds like Kentucky may be a front runner with this kid, but who knows.  

May 12th Interview

BUT, I also think this upcoming Hoosier Hysteria (mentioned above as a potential official visit date) will be one of the top 5 HHs in IUBB history regarding excitement, attendance, and overall hype.  It may be just enough to seal the deal. 

43 minutes ago, A-hOhL said:

It sounds like Kentucky may be a front runner with this kid, but who knows.  

May 12th Interview

BUT, I also think this upcoming Hoosier Hysteria (mentioned above as a potential official visit date) will be one of the top 5 HHs in IUBB history regarding excitement, attendance, and overall hype.  It may be just enough to seal the deal. 

From what I read the front runner is IU imo. The interview i saw he said there is only one school that he knows is for sure going to get an official and that is IU which  it will be for Hoosier hysteria. I believe as of right now IU lands Kion and Trayce. 

14 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

From what I read the front runner is IU imo. The interview i saw he said there is only one school that he knows is for sure going to get an official and that is IU which  it will be for Hoosier hysteria. I believe as of right now IU lands Kion and Trayce. 

No fair getting me so excited so early in the morning.

24 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I like his quote last month when talking about Romeo is why leave the state when you have everything here to be great or something like that.

Archived