Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

11 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

YES, it is my opinion that we’re doing our due diligence but not going above and beyond.  From what I researched and read, I feel the order of importance for this staff is TJD, TW and KBJ and can’t help but express what a mistake this would be.  KBJ should be #1 followed by TJD and after that don’t care.  Look back at the history of this states talent and imagine if we kept our own?

Can I ask you where you are getting the info/what ppl are saying that makes you feel that Watford is being prioritized over Keion? I think the staff is doing a fine job recruiting Keion. After we lost to Rutgers, Keion was the first player Archie went to see. I know in an interview Keion also said that the IU staff and he are so close that they didn't even really discuss basketball during the most recent coaching visit. 

I don't think that the multiple visits to see Trendon indicates that we are prioritizing him. I think the coaching staff is noticing that Keion is entertaining more schools than Trendon and that we will benefit from trying to stay on Trendon's short list of schools. 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Can I ask you where you are getting the info/what ppl are saying that makes you feel that Watford is being prioritized over Keion? I think the staff is doing a fine job recruiting Keion. After we lost to Rutgers, Keion was the first player Archie went to see. I know in an interview Keion also said that the IU staff and he are so close that they didn't even really discuss basketball during the most recent coaching visit. 

I don't think that the multiple visits to see Trendon indicates that we are prioritizing him. I think the coaching staff is noticing that Keion is entertaining more schools than Trendon and that we will benefit from trying to stay on Trendon's short list of schools. 

I'd add, I don't think Brooks and Watford are the same position in our system. Watford is a big and Brooks is a wing, IMO. I can very easily envision Brooks, Watford, and TJD all playing at the same time. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'd add, I don't think Brooks and Watford are the same position in our system. Watford is a big and Brooks is a wing, IMO. I can very easily envision Brooks, Watford, and TJD all playing at the same time. 

This is true.. or when TJD is on the bench.. you could see Watford at the 5 and Keion at the "4". 

Just now, btownqb said:

This is true.. or when TJD is on the bench.. you could see Watford at the 5 and Keion at the "4". 

Yeah. I think Brooks (or maybe Hunter) is going to be the first guy we see under Archie that can really play forward or wing and will be used that way. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Yeah. I think Brooks (or maybe Hunter) is going to be the first guy we see under Archie that can really play forward or wing and will be used that way. 

Hunter is more of a 3-4 right now than a 2-3 like some what to believe. Archie mentions Hunter playing the 2 one time and everyone freaks out. 

38 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I think it's pretty clear that Archie is in touch with his recruits constantly. In his own words, he wants these guys to feel "dominated" by Indiana University. Just not in a creepy Crean way.

I agree. I'm sure that TJD/KBJ/TW all get the same amount of attention from the staff, it's just that TJD seems much more interested in reciprocating it back. 

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree all day. If we went back and looked during the season at some comments on here (after his dust up with his head coach who is now gone) I think many have changed their tune. Few of us have been high on Keion since the beginning. 

With that said. Brooks, TJD, Watford or whoever all have the chance the be first. One of them will be the leaders of the pack. 

I think at least most of us that urged caution also allowed that the coach could very well be the problem. My personal take was that the staff would likely want to know the whole story since character is about as important as talent and that kind of odd mid-season skirmish was enough of a red flag to require some questions from our staff.  No doubt, they asked enough questions to satisfy themselves or IU would no longer be hard after KBJ.  I don't believe most of us know the whole story even today, but would agree that the general consensus at least recently is that the coach was likely mostly responsible and should have been the adult in the room even if it was 50-50.

What I've seen since then is that Keion carries himself well, is a good interview and is a monster talent.  I don't know who IU ends up with among Jackson-Davis, Brooks and/or Watford, but I would be plenty happy with any/all of them.

21 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think at least most of us that urged caution also allowed that the coach could very well be the problem. My personal take was that the staff would likely want to know the whole story since character is about as important as talent and that kind of odd mid-season skirmish was enough of a red flag to require some questions from our staff.  No doubt, they asked enough questions to satisfy themselves or IU would no longer be hard after KBJ.  I don't believe most of us know the whole story even today, but would agree that the general consensus at least recently is that the coach was likely mostly responsible and should have been the adult in the room even if it was 50-50.

What I've seen since then is that Keion carries himself well, is a good interview and is a monster talent.  I don't know who IU ends up with among Jackspon-Davis, Brooks and/or Watford, but I would be plenty happy with any/all of them.

I've read multiple things. Keep in mind the coach played and went to school at North Side. One comment from an employee of the same school said "There are not enough words to praise what Baz (the coach) has done. Equally there are many words that can be said about the situation that caused him to look elsewhere. Thanks for the memories Baz, you will be missed by a lot of us." There is another article saying that he's going after more money at Richmond. So there seems to be more to the story that is not public. Regardless, I want Brooks and because of dad's (who is interested in the  opening btw) connection to Schiller, we have a very good shot. 

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

Hunter is more of a 3-4 right now than a 2-3 like some what to believe. Archie mentions Hunter playing the 2 one time and everyone freaks out. 

Except that one time is the only time he’s been able to speak about the kid.  He’s only gave one review of Hunter, so 100% of the time he’s spoken about him, he’s said he would play some 2.  He’s more of a 3 than a 2 or 4, but he’s more of a 2 than a 4.

1 hour ago, StLHoosier said:

Except that one time is the only time he’s been able to speak about the kid.  He’s only gave one review of Hunter, so 100% of the time he’s spoken about him, he’s said he would play some 2.  He’s more of a 3 than a 2 or 4, but he’s more of a 2 than a 4.

No he's not. His guard skills are limited right now as are his defensive skills on the perimeter. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

I think I'm more nervous about it now tbh. Outside of maybe Vernon Carey, there isn't a player that Izzo will be prioritizing more. 

I see that side of the argument, it’s logical for sure. I just think that’s a program on the decline and we’re on the rise. Just a feeling and not something I can really back up. 

On 5/21/2018 at 11:49 AM, KoB2011 said:

That thought just made me almost have an "accident" in my pants.

3 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I see that side of the argument, it’s logical for sure. I just think that’s a program on the decline and we’re on the rise. Just a feeling and not something I can really back up. 

If we didn't recruit so many forwards in the 2018 class, I'd feel more confident about this recruitment. Weems going elsewhere may excite Keion on the potential of getting more minutes. On the other hand, Weems not going to MSU may push Keion towards wanting to play with other top players/friends like TJD or Tyrese Maxey instead. 

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

I agree on this one, especially the scrutiny MSU is receiving currently.  

Hey guys, haven’t been posting as much...you know...teaching....ha

I want to present a thought...with Brooks stock rising so rapidly, will he be ranked higher than Romeo when it’s all said and done? Like...he’s the next must get in my opinion. Will be a top 5 in 2019? 

In the end, I think we win due to Schilling relationship. Holy smokes this guy is good, great time to be a fan! 

51 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Hey guys, haven’t been posting as much...you know...teaching....ha

I want to present a thought...with Brooks stock rising so rapidly, will he be ranked higher than Romeo when it’s all said and done? Like...he’s the next must get in my opinion. Will be a top 5 in 2019? 

In the end, I think we win due to Schilling relationship. Holy smokes this guy is good, great time to be a fan! 

I agree in that one of the main reasons, if not the sole reason, we’re able to pull these kids is with King Ed. I don’t think he’ll climb that high, there’s too many talented guards and talented bigs. But who knows! Maybe his dad becomes his HC and let’s him shoot a lot more - showcase that ability and lead to a rise. I wouldn’t be surprised just don’t think it’s all that likely. 2019 class is absolutely loaded with talent and I love the competitiveness of these kids too. You can tell more than ever they really are paying attention to rankings and it’s helping to push all of them to improve.

Archived