Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

6 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

This kids recruitment seems to get bigger by the day, I hope Ed can be the Xfactor in landing this big fish. Hold on HN, this recruitment about to reach Romeo heights.  

No chance that this recruitment reaches Romeo levels. Brooks is not, nor should he be, our number 1 target for this class. He is a luxury not a necessity. 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hoosierBGH said:

No chance that this recruitment reaches Romeo levels. Brooks is not, nor should he be, our number 1 target for this class. He is a luxury not a necessity. 

I don't think it reaches Romeo levels at all.  But saying he is a luxury not a necessity is a little much.  I would say Brooks and TJD are options 1A and 1B.  Point guard would most likely be number 2.  But that's just my opinion.

1 hour ago, hoosierBGH said:

Who is Coach Miller/IU staff's #1 target then? I don't know how you can say Brooks is not, nor should be when he's the highest ranked guy we're after unless you're connected to the staff and know their target list/rankings.

27 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Who is Coach Miller/IU staff's #1 target then? I don't know how you can say Brooks is not, nor should be when he's the highest ranked guy we're after unless you're connected to the staff and know their target list/rankings.

I would say TJD word be the #1 priority because he lays a position of greater need.

4 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Haha it's funny that just a couple months ago we had people on here saying Brooks was "overrated.....acted like hollowell on the court...was lazy...etc".

I never understood that. Brooks is a great, great player.

I probably was one of those players because the couple of games I have watched him play I was not that impressed.

I was one that said I would rather have Watford than Brooks because at that point he was playing much better. I still have that feeling but am warming up to Brooks. Either way he isnt overrated and obviously would love to pick him up. Brooks definitely has had the better spring.

Rumors are that his father was very hard to deal with.  Now, whether that is true, I cannot confirm. 

I find it weird a coach leaves a Mr. Basketball front runner to try and rebuild a depleted Richmond High School program.  Shabaz Khaliq's record speaks for itself.  The person I got this from is pretty close to the situation.  Things that make you go hmmm!!!  

Capture.JPG

4 hours ago, beaver56 said:

Rumors are that his father was very hard to deal with.  Now, whether that is true, I cannot confirm. 

I find it weird a coach leaves a Mr. Basketball front runner to try and rebuild a depleted Richmond High School program.  Shabaz Khaliq's record speaks for itself.  The person I got this from is pretty close to the situation.  Things that make you go hmmm!!!  

Capture.JPG

Even if that is true, you're going to quit your job because of it? Very weird. Doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to find out what really happened. 

Agreed.

Isn't a coach's job to be mentor, coach, guardian, ie - the adult?  Why run from the situation.  Of course, this could just be me spinning it as the coach left for more money - certainly possible.  Regardless, the situation is likely overblown.

8 hours ago, beaver56 said:

Capture.JPG

I feel like the far more prevalent rumor is that Shabaz is very hard to deal with and a bit nuts. 

17 hours ago, beaver56 said:

Capture.JPG

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/2018/05/16/justin-kenny-why-did-shabaz-khaliq-leave-north-side-for-richmond/

21 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I would say TJD word be the #1 priority because he lays a position of greater need.

Exactly, by every indication TJD is and should be our clear #1 priority. IU also really needs a guard in this class. Beyond that, Watford is higher rated and extremely skilled without the high level athleticism that would make him much more likely to be a one and done but he plays positions where IU already has a good amount of talent. Then, we get to Brooks who while supremely talented, has the athleticism to make him a likely one and done and who plays at a position where IU is already stacked.  Neither of these things lessen his talent nor how much I would like to land him but they have to play a role in his prioritization for one of the limited spots. 

4 hours ago, hoosierBGH said:

Exactly, by every indication TJD is and should be our clear #1 priority. IU also really needs a guard in this class. Beyond that, Watford is higher rated and extremely skilled without the high level athleticism that would make him much more likely to be a one and done but he plays positions where IU already has a good amount of talent. Then, we get to Brooks who while supremely talented, has the athleticism to make him a likely one and done and who plays at a position where IU is already stacked.  Neither of these things lessen his talent nor how much I would like to land him but they have to play a role in his prioritization for one of the limited spots. 

TJD and Watford are who I hope are the top priorities. I still think Brooks is overrated and a couple positive showings in the AAU circuit playing along side of TJD isn't going to change my outlook. I look at Brooks as a kid with all kinds of potential who will probably be one and done or two and done like OG, show flashes of what he will be capable of in the near future and move on to the NBA before ever actually accomplishing much.

I see TJD and Watford as guys who will be here 3-4 years and actually produce at a very high level on the court and be leaders on and off it. I'd love to have Brooks but not over TJD and Watford. 

2 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

TJD and Watford are who I hope are the top priorities. I still think Brooks is overrated and a couple positive showings in the AAU circuit playing along side of TJD isn't going to change my outlook. I look at Brooks as a kid with all kinds of potential who will probably be one and done or two and done like OG, show flashes of what he will be capable of in the near future and move on to the NBA before ever actually accomplishing much.

I see TJD and Watford as guys who will be here 3-4 years and actually produce at a very high level on the court and be leaders on and off it. I'd love to have Brooks but not over TJD and Watford. 

Well said. We can't predict the future but given what we know know, I'd tend to agree with you. We will have talent at Brooks spot making him a luxury. If he doesn't buy in and/or  leaves after a year, how much does he help the program? While Smith, Hunter and others may not have been ranked as high, they are talented and will have the advantage of some experience. TJD fills more of a need. Then we need a guard. 

2 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Disagree with your comparison to OG. OG was a 3 star raw project with lots of athleticism, great potential and unrefined basketball skills. His best attributes when he was brought in by Crean were his freak athleticism and ability to play defense, imo. On the other hand, Brooks is much more polished and skilled offensively than OG was. I think that from an offensive standpoint, Brooks would provide a much larger impact than OG did during his time at IU.

On 5/23/2018 at 12:37 PM, bryan200088 said:

I was one that said I would rather have Watford than Brooks because at that point he was playing much better. I still have that feeling but am warming up to Brooks. Either way he isnt overrated and obviously would love to pick him up. Brooks definitely has had the better spring.

I would hate to see either of our top 2 in state targets (Brooks and TJD) go anywhere but IU. My order is TJD, Brooks, then Watford - but I trust CAM to make the best decision for who fits best with the program. Wouldn't be unhappy with any 1 of the 3 above, let alone 2 of 3.

35 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Disagree with your comparison to OG. OG was a 3 star raw project with lots of athleticism, great potential and unrefined basketball skills. His best attributes when he was brought in by Crean were his freak athleticism and ability to play defense, imo. On the other hand, Brooks is much more polished and skilled offensively than OG was. I think that from an offensive standpoint, Brooks would provide a much larger impact than OG did during his time at IU.

I wasn't comparing him to OG as a player. The comparison was in regards to the amount he would contribute to the team if he came to IU and left after a year or two. He's certainly better on the offensive end than OG was but I don't know that he's the type of talent to be able to make a major contribution as a freshmen. Which is why I'd rather have the other two because I feel they are more ready to contribute right away and possibly wont be swayed by the NBA as quickly. Brooks screams to me "get in, average 8pts and 6rbs a game and enter the NBA draft". Unless you're a Romeo Langford type talent I will always prefer guys who will stay 3-4 years. 

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

I wasn't comparing him to OG as a player. The comparison was in regards to the amount he would contribute to the team if he came to IU and left after a year or two. He's certainly better on the offensive end than OG was but I don't know that he's the type of talent to be able to make a major contribution as a freshmen. Which is why I'd rather have the other two because I feel they are more ready to contribute right away and possibly wont be swayed by the NBA as quickly. Brooks screams to me "get in, average 8pts and 6rbs a game and enter the NBA draft". Unless you're a Romeo Langford type talent I will always prefer guys who will stay 3-4 years. 

This is fair re OG, imo. While his soph year was marred by injury, he was a major impact player as a frosh, the stat line doesn't say it all. And now he's just two years removed and he's a contributing starter, at a high level, for the Raptors. His skill level has grown, but he was pretty skilled coming in, more so on the defensive end, but his skills grew significantly during his frosh year.

33 minutes ago, rico said:

I got to be honest here even though I posted that link on the previous page.  I don't like what I am hearing about KBJ and his family.  

Don't mean to pry...but seems like a pretty big implication. What's up? I've heard nothing but good but we all have different places we get information. I'd love to know more.

3 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

You think he's more of a UK type player? Just curious.

No, but i think his family wants to cash in on what the NBA will give.  What school he ends up at isn't relevant in their minds.  He won't be there long.

Archived