Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Great post. I sometimes read the posts you are referencing as adults who don't know how to properly make a decision (just talking about the process of decision making) so they get mad that kids are actually doing exactly what and reasonable person would do.

I love IU, but if you told me right now to pick where I was going to play college basketball IU is not the only school I would consider. 

That's borderline blasphemous......   >:(

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the sentiment, and I could be wrong since I don’t know that I’ve read every post in the thread, but I don’t think anything like that happened here.  There was an incident; people asked what happened, etc.  

I don’t believe anyone saw the Kentucky interest and then started talking about his character.  As I recall, the incident was discussed when IU was perceived to be right there in the recruitment.  I didn’t see that linkage in any way, shape or form.  Maybe somebody did that.  If they did, I’d consider it an outlier.  

38 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree with the sentiment, and I could be wrong since I don’t know that I’ve read every post in the thread, but I don’t think anything like that happened here.  There was an incident; people asked what happened, etc.  

I don’t believe anyone saw the Kentucky interest and then started talking about his character.  As I recall, the incident was discussed when IU was perceived to be right there in the recruitment.  I didn’t see that linkage in any way, shape or form.  Maybe somebody did that.  If they did, I’d consider it an outlier.  

I personally mentioned the incident as a red flag but also indicated that I was confident that the staff had done whatever due diligence they felt was needed and would have backed away if they felt it was a problem.  Absolutely no sour grapes here and yes, it was well before any pUKe whispers.  If the staff wants him, I'd take him in a heartbeat, but when a kid supposedly quits a team mid-season and there are whispers about him going to prep school, I can't see how that's not a concern.  Even today, we don't know the whole story, but I trust the staff on this one...just thought it was worth an inquiry on their part to figure out whether or not there was a problem with the recruit.  If I were guessing today based on what I've heard since then, I would say it was more on the coach than on the player, but again...I'm just going off hearsay.  It was a strange story that made several of us wonder, that's all.

15 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I personally mentioned the incident as a red flag but also indicated that I was confident that the staff had done whatever due diligence they felt was needed and would have backed away if they felt it was a problem.  Absolutely no sour grapes here and yes, it was well before any pUKe whispers.  If the staff wants him, I'd take him in a heartbeat, but when a kid supposedly quits a team mid-season and there are whispers about him going to prep school, I can't see how that's not a concern.  Even today, we don't know the whole story, but I trust the staff on this one...just thought it was worth an inquiry on their part to figure out whether or not there was a problem with the recruit.  If I were guessing today based on what I've heard since then, I would say it was more on the coach than on the player, but again...I'm just going off hearsay.  It was a strange story that made several of us wonder, that's all.

All of that is fair. It’s “whispers” and “hearsay” where you lose me, though. As you intimate, I’ll trust our head coach to know more about all that and make an appropriate decision rather than grasp at stuff that can’t really be substantiated.

36 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I personally wasn't thinking of your posts. Red flags and caution that require more investigation and information are always fair, it's some of the stuff that went beyond that in this thread and others. 

4 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

All of that is fair. It’s “whispers” and “hearsay” where you lose me, though. As you intimate, I’ll trust our head coach to know more about all that and make an appropriate decision rather than grasp at stuff that can’t really be substantiated.

I don't know if you saw it, but what started everything was someone bringing it to the forum that Keion was off the team.  This was backed up by a local newspaper story that was linked here.  Even the story itself was strange, creating more questions than answers.

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

If I were to pick where my daughter was going to attend college it wouldn't be IU. I won't be upset if she does, but it wouldn't by my first choice for her. 

I can identify with this.  It was her choice and she chose USI in Evansville.  I was happy that she did.  As much as I love IU basketball, the campus is a little big for my taste and after a few high-profile incidents of young female IU students being harmed or disappearing, a father can't help but feel a little uneasy about his pretty young daughter attending what should be a beautiful campus and a fun university experience, but what has become tragic for an unfortunate few.

22 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I can identify with this.  It was her choice and she chose USI in Evansville.  I was happy that she did.  As much as I love IU basketball, the campus is a little big for my taste and after a few high-profile incidents of young female IU students being harmed or disappearing, a father can't help but feel a little uneasy about his pretty young daughter attending what should be a beautiful campus and a fun university experience, but what has become tragic for an unfortunate few.

USI is a terrific campus. Greatest thing is, they own a TON of ground all around. Lots of room to grow. 

42 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I can identify with this.  It was her choice and she chose USI in Evansville.  I was happy that she did.  As much as I love IU basketball, the campus is a little big for my taste and after a few high-profile incidents of young female IU students being harmed or disappearing, a father can't help but feel a little uneasy about his pretty young daughter attending what should be a beautiful campus and a fun unioversity experience, but what has become tragic for an unfortunate few.

My son took a visit to USI but in the end he decided to go to ISU mainly due to the communication department.  Also the distance from home was a big factor in his decision as well.  Also my daughter is a junior at IU and loves the university but I was a little nervous about her going to such a huge campus.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't know if you saw it, but what started everything was someone bringing it to the forum that Keion was off the team.  This was backed up by a local newspaper story that was linked here.  Even the story itself was strange, creating more questions than answers.

Yeah, I remember. But, here again, in the vacuum created by the story and lack of answers, is a perfect breeding ground for the conjecture and how it, at times, takes on a life all its own.

4 hours ago, ephul said:

USI is a terrific campus. Greatest thing is, they own a TON of ground all around. Lots of room to grow. 

I went to USI back in the mid '80's when it was still ISUE. While I was down there, they gained their independence from ISU and became USI. My freshman year was the first time they had student housing so during my four years there, they were the fastest growing 4 year college in the country. I was amazed at how much had changed when we did campus visits 4 years ago. I think they said they had close to 10,000 students...when I started, they had 2200 and were a commuter college. I feel old just posting all of this.

58 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I went to USI back in the mid '80's when it was still ISUE. While I was down there, they gained their independence from ISU and became USI. My freshman year was the first time they had student housing so during my four years there, they were the fastest growing 4 year college in the country. I was amazed at how much had changed when we did campus visits 4 years ago. I think they said they had close to 10,000 students...when I started, they had 2200 and were a commuter college. I feel old just posting all of this.

When I went there the parking was so bad that I couldn’t find a spot and shit my pants! I had to drop that math class 😞

Have they fixed the damn parking yet?!

2 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

When I went there the parking was so bad that I couldn’t find a spot and shit my pants! I had to drop that math class 😞

Have they fixed the damn parking yet?!

They have added lots but as I understand it, parking can still be a challenge sometimes.

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

8 hours ago, ephul said:

I have a son and daughter that both graduated from USI! We paid for both of their college education and I can honestly say it's one of the best schools for the money!

And yes ADgenerate, there are parking lots galore and they are completing major renovations of the PAC

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I think this is a gutsy but good hire. He's a college coach moving "down" to coach high school. I don't think the fact that he's only coached women should have much of if any negative effect. He's a big time division II coach and has won everywhere he's gone. It should be interesting.

Archived