Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Danomatic said:

I think Brooks is IU’s to lose at this point. He will certainly make it interesting, but I believe Archie is beginning to get the top Indiana in-state targets to garner more and more interest in the program. 

I hope you are right but I just don't like seeing him go to a prep school

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I hope you are right but I just don't like seeing him go to a prep school

I don’t think it’s going to hurt our chances of landing him. It obviously means no Mr. Basketball, or state championship, but he has his reasons. His priorities are his business and that’s ok.

12 hours ago, Danomatic said:

I don’t think it’s going to hurt our chances of landing him. It obviously means no Mr. Basketball, or state championship, but he has his reasons. His priorities are his business and that’s ok.

If he is wearing candy stripes next year all will be forgiven. I think everyone that loves and cares about Indiana High School basketball is just a little sad...if I was still in the state and could better follow the kids I would be too...now I just follow from a distance and rely on you guys to let me know which kids to keep an eye on. I don’t think with Brooks this will change much. Obviously this was awhile in the making given the smoke that was coming out during last seasons run in with his coach and team. Maybe for the best of everyone to go ahead and move on.

7 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Oh god. Get over this Indiana HS basketball Worship stuff. 

Goodness guys. This stuff makes me cringe and IMO sets IU back and I feel strongly about that.

LET IT GO.  

Might as well give up on Keion is the vibe I get. END this!

Me thinks you would be in the minority AD.

Look at other states and how they view HS sports. Texas? They love their HS football. Same way for Alabama, Ohio and others I'm sure. For our state? Yeah, it's basketball and our HS are darned good at it!! I'm sure you followed Romeos recruitment. Did you notice the crowds at the games he played? Did you notice the chants of both Romeo and IU?? IMO, this does not set IU back at all. Instead it sets them up in the fore front. Hence why do other schools come to our state and raid our HS players?

Sorry if this post makes you cringe, but I'll be sending you a copy of "HOOSIERS"......

There is certainly truth on both sides of the coin.  Keion said it best himself.  He had lots of pros and cons to weigh.  Being g a local hero sounds cool but these guys are staring down lottery tickets.  Most of us, myself included, didn't have the ability coming out if high school to be banking multi million dollar contracts by time we were 20.  Are they going to be noticed based on talent either way?  Sure.  But as Keion said himself, he will have the chance to compete daily against top competition and play one of the best schedules in the nation.  I'm an Indiana basketball Homer but this is going to become more common as we go forward.  The window to make the money these guys have in front of them is small and extremely competitive.  This is just viewed by these athletes as a competitive advantage and at this time, I personally agree.  

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

There is certainly truth on both sides of the coin.  Keion said it best himself.  He had lots of pros and cons to weigh.  Being g a local hero sounds cool but these guys are staring down lottery tickets.  Most of us, myself included, didn't have the ability coming out if high school to be banking multi million dollar contracts by time we were 20.  Are they going to be noticed based on talent either way?  Sure.  But as Keion said himself, he will have the chance to compete daily against top competition and play one of the best schedules in the nation.  I'm an Indiana basketball Homer but this is going to become more common as we go forward.  The window to make the money these guys have in front of them is small and extremely competitive.  This is just viewed by these athletes as a competitive advantage and at this time, I personally agree.  

Good post.  A lot of posters seem to overreact to these types of situations. This board is a roller coaster. 

33 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

We ran our own opinion piece on the prep school matter -- in large part directed towards what IMO was a ridiculous article by the Fort Wayne News Sentinel.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/keion-brooks-jr-is-going-to-la-lumiere-and-the-world-isnt-ending/

I agree wholeheartedly with your take.  That article was ridiculous on a whole host of levels.  And I for one have had far more than enough of sanctimonious reporters who claim to speak for a whole community.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

We ran our own opinion piece on the prep school matter -- in large part directed towards what IMO was a ridiculous article by the Fort Wayne News Sentinel.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/keion-brooks-jr-is-going-to-la-lumiere-and-the-world-isnt-ending/

TDH, I hope you don't mind, but I copied and pasted this comment from your article as it pretty much sums up how I feel regarding prep schools and sports:

DrLuke 2 hours ago

"My opinion is about the prep school movement in general, not about Brooks. I don't have enough information to judge that young man specifically, so I won't. However, that doesn't excuse the whole prep school movement just because it might be the best thing in a minority of situations (if that is the case).

When a young man's big picture is only about the quickest way to get paid - when it is about only self and forget community or school or teammates, etc., then I find that troubling. In this ever-growing society of ME FIRST, this is just another example of how it has even affected the values adults are teaching children. I hate it. I think it is bad for all of us and sometimes that is more important than what feels right to the individual."

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Quality work as usual.  I get the concern over choosing self ahead of team, but I also understand why these kids do it.  Every advantage is critical when it comes to punching your ticket in the league.

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

TDH, I hope you don't mind, but I copied and pasted this comment from your article as it pretty much sums up how I feel regarding prep schools and sports:

DrLuke 2 hours ago

"My opinion is about the prep school movement in general, not about Brooks. I don't have enough information to judge that young man specifically, so I won't. However, that doesn't excuse the whole prep school movement just because it might be the best thing in a minority of situations (if that is the case).

When a young man's big picture is only about the quickest way to get paid - when it is about only self and forget community or school or teammates, etc., then I find that troubling. In this ever-growing society of ME FIRST, this is just another example of how it has even affected the values adults are teaching children. I hate it. I think it is bad for all of us and sometimes that is more important than what feels right to the individual."

Don't mind at all.  I think it is an understandable point of view.  Like the commenter said, we just don't have enough info to judge each individual case  -- and that was really the whole point of my article -- and I have no idea why Davis and the News Sentinel felt entitled to do what they did. 

I received a private message from an immediate Brooks family member thanking me for the article, so that should tell you where they stand on the matter.

Archived