7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Just once, I'd love to see a top six announcement like this:

1. IU
  2. IU
  3. IU
  4. IU
  5. IU
  6. IU

What a great way to do a surprise commitment...(hint, hint, guys...)

Change it up a bit 

IU

Indiana University

The Hoosiers

That college in Bloomington Indiana

Home of assembly hall

The place football matters the least

14 hours ago, Indykev said:

I really hate posting this but here you go. I don't understand the announcement to announce an announcement. I hate this age of recruiting.

Okay, I’m just gonna say it, Twitter is one of the most inane things to ever come to fruition. Nothing really good nor constructive comes from it. 

4 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

Okay, I’m just gonna say it, Twitter is one of the most inane things to ever come to fruition. Nothing really good nor constructive comes from it. 

Just need to know who to follow. For die hard sports fans who love stats, information on trades/recruiting,etc...for any of the major sports I can't imagine using any other platform. But that's just me. 

15 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Just once, I'd love to see a top six announcement like this:

1. IU
  2. IU
  3. IU
  4. IU
  5. IU
  6. IU

What a great way to do a surprise commitment...(hint, hint, guys...)

That would be hysterical. Someone has to do it -- In this age of attention, that would grab attention across recruiting immediately. Would actually be both funny, and cool.

2 hours ago, zerawkid said:

I tend to agree but get the replies that it's immediate access to info, or just know who to follow. 

Thing is, the genuinely absurd tweeting dominates (from the highest levels of Government down....), imo. 

It's good to have the ability to see tweets with immediate info in recruiting, etc., in the sports world, though.

I just see Twitter as more of a tool of folks screaming into a void hoping to be heard. Some are heard, and heard considerably, but it just seems an odd, self aggrandizing platform for sociopaths.

Disclaimer: I do realize I am overstating things here, and perhaps even dramatically. I just think if it’s “information” one is after, there are better, more comprehensive outlets. I know sifting through more than 280 characters to get to a point might seem like a waste of time. But, it’s actually not.

59 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

I just see Twitter as more of a tool of folks screaming into a void hoping to be heard. Some are heard, and heard considerably, but it just seems an odd, self aggrandizing platform for sociopaths.

Disclaimer: I do realize I am overstating things here, and perhaps even dramatically. I just think if it’s “information” one is after, there are better, more comprehensive outlets. I know sifting through more than 280 characters to get to a point might seem like a waste of time. But, it’s actually not.

to you.  To others, its a great way to get quick concise information.  I do agree the other part about screaming into the void.  Lots of voices in and endless void

I think all this social media is causing problems with people actually communicating face to face.  When I see people sitting at a table in a restaurant and everyone is on their phones, that is sad to me.  I worry about when my kids and all the other kids out there go for interviews and don't  know how to communicate face to face.

1 hour ago, zerawkid said:

The great thing about Twitter...you don't have to follow the folks screaming into a void. You only follow who you want for the information you want.

They have clouded things up by showing you other people's likes and suggested follows, which is annoying.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think all this social media is causing problems with people actually communicating face to face.  When I see people sitting at a table in a restaurant and everyone is on their phones, that is sad to me.  I worry about when my kids and all the other kids out there go for interviews and don't  know how to communicate face to face.

I may not always agree with you but agree here. Kids today are buried in their phones, mine included. They text instead of calling each other. I've seen kids texting back and forth when they're in the same room and even sitting on the same couch.

People have to text while driving (stupidly) because they're so addicted to the need for IMMEDIATE phone use/texting. Good grief, take a freaking breath and wait until you get to a stop light, or just put the F'ing phone down for a minute. It's nuts.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I may not always agree with you but agree here. Kids today are buried in their phones, mine included. They text instead of calling each other. I've seen kids texting back and forth when they're in the same room and even sitting on the same couch.

People have to text while driving (stupidly) because they're so addicted to the need for IMMEDIATE phone use/texting. Good grief, take a freaking breath and wait until you get to a stop light, or just put the F'ing phone down for a minute. It's nuts.

I hate when I see parents at the table on their phones instead of paying attention to their little kids

Agree with you guys here, I need to monitor my phone and social media intake to make sure I'm not abusing it. Both of these things can be great for society if used correctly, more accurate timing/use of communication...but it has a very bad downside that can really outweigh these benefits if we're not engaging with it right as a society. Increased anxiety, depression, etc. 

Sorry to derail further, just realized I posted this in the KBJ thread. Whoops lol, come on down KBJ...

Not to derail the thread any further, but think about this for a minute.  If you’re on you’re phone or Internet for 2 hours a day, every day, that’s 1/12th of the day.  Over a an entire year, that’s one whole month (730 hrs) of time spent on the phone or internet.  I saw this the other day and was surprised as I never really thought about it like that.

54 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I hate when I see parents at the table on their phones instead of paying attention to their little kids

My wife and I point this out to each other all of the time.  It’s really sad, and like you, I feel social media has had an incredibly bad effect on how people communicate with each other.  It’s one of the reasons I don’t have Facebook, Twitter, IG, etc.

3 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

My wife and I point this out to each other all of the time.  It’s really sad, and like you, I feel social media has had an incredibly bad effect on how people communicate with each other.  It’s one of the reasons I don’t have Facebook, Twitter, IG, etc.

The other day my wife and I were running errands and we watched as a little girl actively tried to get her mothers attention and the mother refused to even look at her.  I wanted to smack the chick tbh. 

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

The other day my wife and I were running errands and we watched as a little girl actively tried to get her mothers attention and the mother refused to even look at her.  I wanted to smack the chick tbh. 

What did you say. I miseed it i was on my phone replying to this message while driving and ignoring my kids. Sorry. 

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

The great thing about Twitter...you don't have to follow the folks screaming into a void. You only follow who you want for the information you want.

They have clouded things up by showing you other people's likes and suggested follows, which is annoying.

Switch to Echofon. They don’t have that nonsense. Been using it for years. It’s so much better IMO.

25 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

My parents, the people who taught me to be engaged in a conversation,  cant stop looking at their phone/tablet during conversation. They are in their 50's. Its very annoying.

Archived