Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

I don't follow recruits in terms of their skill set, all I generally know is position, size, and ranking.  What kind of player is Keion, and how would he fit with our current team plus TJD and Franklin?

Albeit only from watching highlights, Keion has a pretty good all around game.  You can immediately tell that he’s really long and super athletic.  He can shoot the ball pretty well, dribble and passes the ball well.  Here are a couple highlight videos.

54 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

I don't follow recruits in terms of their skill set, all I generally know is position, size, and ranking.  What kind of player is Keion, and how would he fit with our current team plus TJD and Franklin?

I don't know about with Franklin and the rest of the team but Rabjohns said on Indy radio last night that he and TJD worked really well together in AAU.  Said they would run high/low with each other and were really complimentary players.

He said that Brooks knows how well he and TJD play together because of their time in AAU.  I think you can see some of that in their highlight videos too.

My favorite part about Brooks is his demeanor.  He’s got a hostile, edgy feel.  We need that.  He’s also very skilled, and finishes strong.  

Throw in a successful foray into Ft Wayne (setting aside LaLumiere) and he’s an excellent get.  

Think about our Indiana recruiting in terms of geography.  We are developing a footprint in most sections of the state.  Franklin and Jackson-Davis from the Indy area; Damezi from South Bend and the north central part; Phinisee obviously out of enemy territory Northwest of Indy; and Romeo from the southeastern part.

That is pretty balanced around the state.  If we clinch Brooks from Ft Wayne, then we are on our way.  There’s Lander in the southwestern part (Evansville) in future years too.   I’d love to close somebody in the region too and we’d arguably have the entire state represented.  Of course, there are only so many players.  At some point, Marion, Richmond, Muncie, Anderson, Warsaw, Terre Haute, etc will produce somebody.  

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

My favorite part about Brooks is his demeanor.  He’s got a hostile, edgy feel.  We need that.  He’s also very skilled, and finishes strong.  

Throw in a successful foray into Ft Wayne (setting aside LaLumiere) and he’s an excellent get.  

Think about our Indiana recruiting in terms of geography.  We are developing a footprint in most sections of the state.  Franklin and Jackson-Davis from the Indy area; Damezi from South Bend and the north central part; Phinisee obviously out of enemy territory Northwest of Indy; and Romeo from the southeastern part.

That is pretty balanced around the state.  If we clinch Brooks from Ft Wayne, then we are on our way.  There’s Lander in the southwestern part (Evansville) in future years too.   I’d love to close somebody in the region too and we’d arguably have the entire state represented.  Of course, there are only so many players.  At some point, Marion, Richmond, Muncie, Anderson, Warsaw, Terre Haute, etc will produce somebody.  

Yes Archie will have players from New Albany, Lafayette, South Bend, Indianapolis, Greenwood and Fort Wayne. He’s literally casting a net across the state. Recruiting this state is of utmost importance. It’s a basketball hotbed

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

At this point our problems are greater than a player who can shoot. Fitz was money from downtown and now isn't something we are doing has to change

It’s called shooting woes, and it’s nothing the team or coaching staff is doing to cause it.  Fitzner is a good shooter, and if you can’t tell that from his career statistics, I’m not sure what to tell you.  To say “something we are doing has to change” is regards to a guy missing some shots is asanine imo.

1 hour ago, StLHoosier said:

It’s called shooting woes, and it’s nothing the team or coaching staff is doing to cause it.  Fitzner is a good shooter, and if you can’t tell that from his career statistics, I’m not sure what to tell you.  To say “something we are doing has to change” is regards to a guy missing some shots is asanine imo.

Everybody on the teams stinks at shooting. Yep clearly asinine that we need to do something different 

1 hour ago, StLHoosier said:

But it’s a little concerning that our “shooting woes” stretch all the way back to last season, no?  At a certain point, it’s not a coincidence.

Looking at the numbers, it appears that Archie’s offensive philosophy is to shoot a relatively high 3P% on limited attempts.  Here are his teams’ national 3P% and 3PA rankings going back to his time at Dayton:

11-12: 171st 3P% / 25th 3PA

12-13: 20th 3P% / 303rd 3PA

13-14: 54th 3P% / 104th 3PA

14-15: 116th 3P% / 78th 3PA

15-16: 182nd 3P% / 202nd 3PA

16-17: 38th 3P% / 193rd 3PA

17-18: 292nd 3P% / 310th 3PA

18-19: 117th 3P% / 290th 3PA

His teams have only been in the top 100 for threes attempted twice, and one of those years was his first year at Dayton.  From what I can tell, Archie runs a pretty regimented offense that’s focused more on scoring inside than out.  His teams have also generally struggled at the free throw line (haven’t cracked the top 200 in FT% for the past five consecutive seasons).

Edit: Keion Brooks is going to sign before the end of the year.

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Everybody on the teams stinks at shooting. Yep clearly asinine that we need to do something different 

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

But it’s a little concerning that our “shooting woes” stretch all the way back to last season, no?  At a certain point, it’s not a coincidence.

Looking at the numbers, it appears that Archie’s offensive philosophy is to shoot a relatively high 3P% on limited attempts.  Here are his teams’ national 3P% and 3PA rankings going back to his time at Dayton:

His teams have only been in the top 100 for threes attempted twice, and one of those years was his first year at Dayton.  From what I can tell, Archie runs a pretty regimented offense that’s focused more on scoring inside than out.  His teams have also generally struggled at the free throw line (haven’t cracked the top 200 in FT% for the past five consecutive seasons).

You referenced Fitzner who’s strong suit is shooting.  You then go on to make it sound like the way the team is practicing or being ran, is affecting his shooting percentage.  Maybe that was just an assumption on my part, but that’s how it read.  I understand that the team doesn’t have a Matt Roth or Zeisloft, but I think we have better shooters than what’s being portrayed.  McRoberts is a good shooter, he just doesn’t shoot enough.  Al is over 40% from deep, and Morgan is right there with him.  Anderson is a good shooter, but he’s still learning the system and how to play defense on the college level.  Rob is a good shooter, but we’re not asking him to shoot, just get the offense set up and ran.  Once the game slows down for these kids and we get some continuity and rhythm within the offense, I think you’ll see the shooting percentages improve.

Edit: If we want to continue this, we can continue talking about it in another thread and leave this one open for Brooks news.  Sorry to derail.

8 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Edit: Keion Brooks is going to sign before the end of the year.

Thanks for pulling the interesting stats.  

Really looking forward to Brooks commitment, but he won’t be able to sign until April.  Unless of course he pulled a Trayce

12 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I will tell you I had knowledge of what TJD did and so far I’ve been told KBJ will sign in the spring

Not saying it's ideal but I get why kids wait until Spring. I mean so many things can happen. Not that a school wouldn't release them from signed commit but I get why some choose to wait. 

31 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

If Brooks chooses us, this is a very talented group if Romeo chooses to depart for the NBA(if he chooses to return OH MY) :

PG - Phinisee/Green

SG- Durham/Anderson/Franklin

SF- Brooks/Hunter

PF- Smith/Race/Forrester

C- TJD/DeRon/Moore

If what we have heard about Hunter is true I think he starts over Smith ATM. If Smith gets it together I imagine we play big with Durham as 6th man

Archived