Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

You mean Mack, right? Because there is no question, at least in terms of recruiting rankings, that Mack took over a more talented team than Archie did. I'm not all about the rankings, but Williams and King were borderline 5* guys, and Nwora, Perry and Enoch were top 100 guys, then they supplemented with transfers in Cunningham (Samford's all-time assist leader and top 15 in points scored) and Sutton (who averaged over 12ppg at UNC Ashville). 

Compare that to a team that started Freddie McSwain, Zach McRoberts and Josh Newkirk. 

Sorry for adding to the derailment. I love Keion and hope he picks IU 😀

Yes, you know my stance BGleas. Should have clarified though.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Romeo could go from # 15 prospect to top 5 if he returns?  If he was as advertised, we wouldn’t lose 9 straight and embarrassing loss to RUTGERS!  He needs polishing

FYI. They do practice and work (or polish as you call it) on their game in the NBA. Sometimes I've heard it's even against better players that in turn actually make them better. I will say this though. There is a pretty significant drop in $ (percentage wise) from say getting picked in top 5 or 6 vs 15.

Although I think most players view their first contract as just getting the contract clock started. The 2nd contract is where the real $ is at. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

FYI. They do practice and work (or polish as you call it) on their game in the NBA. Sometimes I've heard it's even against better players that in turn actually make them better. I will say this though. There is a pretty significant drop in $ (percentage wise) from say getting picked in top 5 or 6 vs 15.

Although I think most players view their first contract as just getting the contract clock started. The 2nd contract is where the real $ is at. 

Exactly. Of course he will be a better player his rookie year if he stays for 2 years of college. Equally obvious is that one year from today he will be a better player if he is in the NBA. More practice, better competition, more access to coaches and working specifically to be a better NBA player - which is not the same thing as working to be a better college player.

If he's told he might fall out of the lottery then he has a hard decision to make. But, if he is told he is a lottery pick - and every mock I see has him top 10 - then it's really a no brainer. 

2 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

Exactly. Of course he will be a better player his rookie year if he stays for 2 years of college. Equally obvious is that one year from today he will be a better player if he is in the NBA. More practice, better competition, more access to coaches and working specifically to be a better NBA player - which is not the same thing as working to be a better college player.

If he's told he might fall out of the lottery then he has a hard decision to make. But, if he is told he is a lottery pick - and every mock I see has him top 10 - then it's really a no brainer. 

I don't understand where you think there will be more practice in the NBA once the season starts.  Once the regular season starts there are very few full practices and if you are not in the rotation you don't get much floor time.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't understand where you think there will be more practice in the NBA once the season starts.  Once the regular season starts there are very few full practices and if you are not in the rotation you don't get much floor time.

He’ll have complete 24/7 access to any NBA facility, wherever he winds up. All he will have to worry about is his game and getting better. They have shoot around on game days, but practice any day they’re not traveling. He would get better, it’s just a matter of whether or not they think he’s good enough to be in the lottery. The only way I think Romeo comes back is if he were to fall out of the lottery. 

Now, can we get this back to Brooks? 

22 minutes ago, IUskim said:

Can we get coach to say something to help ease our mind. He always seems to be deep in the know and he hasn’t said much on this thread lately...

I’m sure he would if he had anything new to say. I’m sure he doesn’t get updates on what a recruit is thinking daily. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

He would get way more work being on an NBA team than being in college. They have coaches (S&T and assistants/support staff) working with young players constantly. Young players that don't see much burn are working on their games before practice, during practice, after practice, pre-game, on the road, etc. In addition, the NBA is a much different game, so you're practicing on shots/moves, etc. that you'll be getting in the NBA game. 

There's staff available to you 24/7 to work on your game vs. college where everything is limited and mostly self driven. I've personally witnessed Kendrick Perkins as a rookie (he played in 10 games) get off the plane at 1am and drive right to the practice facility to work out. Again, it's working on NBA things, not college schemes/shots. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

He would get way more work being on an NBA team than being in college. They have coaches (S&T and assistants/support staff) working with young players constantly. Young players that don't see much burn are working on their games before practice, during practice, after practice, pre-game, on the road, etc. In addition, the NBA is a much different game, so you're practicing on shots/moves, etc. that you'll be getting in the NBA game. 

There's staff available to you 24/7 to work on your game vs. college where everything is limited and mostly self driven. I've personally witnessed Kendrick Perkins as a rookie (he played in 10 games) get off the plane at 1am and drive right to the practice facility to work out. Again, it's working on NBA things, not college schemes/shots. 

I agree with that I guess but I would rather get major minutes in college than sitting the bench or go to the G-League

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree with that I guess but I would rather get major minutes in college than sitting the bench or go to the G-League

That's you though, and I know and understand how you feel on this subject, but you have to take a step back from your own personal preference and in terms of the discussion really evaluate it based on what is best for someone who's goal is to be the best NBA player they can be.

22 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That's you though, and I know and understand how you feel on this subject, but you have to take a step back from your own personal preference and in terms of the discussion really evaluate it based on what is best for someone who's goal is to be the best NBA player they can be.

I would just think most guys would want to enter the NBA when they are ready to compete right away instead of having to sit a couple of years.  I look at TJ leaf with the Pacers because it is over half way through his 2nd year in the league and still hasn't gotten into the regular rotation.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would just think most guys would want to enter the NBA when they are ready to compete right away instead of having to sit a couple of years.  I look at TJ leaf with the Pacers because it is over half way through his 2nd year in the league and still hasn't gotten into the regular rotation.

That's one guy. It's hard to do this case-by-case. Maybe TJ Leaf is just a borderline NBA player at best no matter when he would have come out (one and done vs. 4 years). That just might be as good as he is. Even if that's the case, he'll leave the Pacers with somewhere around $6M to roughly $18M. Probably worth the gamble. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That's one guy. It's hard to do this case-by-case. Maybe TJ Leaf is just a borderline NBA player at best no matter when he would have come out (one and done vs. 4 years). That just might be as good as he is. Even if that's the case, he'll leave the Pacers with somewhere around $6M to roughly $18M. Probably worth the gamble. 

I'll take my chances with 6 mill in the bank minimum lol 

Archived