Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The biggest issue I see is there are to many IU “fans” that criticize CAM and call for a change that don’t understand basketball. The basketball IQ has drastically dropped in this fan base since RMK was fired. I personally think a lot of that has to do with all the out of state influence that has happened within IU in recent years so there are a lot of “fans” that think a coaching change needs to be done again when in reality that will just set the program back even farther than it already is.

Amen to that

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IU Scott said:

It has nothing to do with questioning things or being upset how the team is playing.  it is the way some in the fan base make it personal towards the coach or players on all social media outlets.

I don’t disagree with that at all.  Like I said most of us on here aren’t doing that.  I only follow a certain few reporters on twitter and I don’t see a lot of what you are saying but I know it goes on.

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

I don’t think any of us here do that.  I agree it’s ridiculous to lash out at a teenager over a silly game.  I think most on here are respectful even when there are disagreements.

Might not here but there is a lot of it elsewhere on all forms of social media.

I don’t disagree with that at all.  Like I said most of us on here aren’t doing that.  I only follow a certain few reporters on twitter and I don’t see a lot of what you are saying but I know it goes on.

I am not on twitter or any other social media outlets but have seen things posted that were tweeted to players from out so called fans.

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

Twitter can be bad at times and Facebook is awful. The problem is you have casual “fans” that don’t understand recruiting and the difference between being signed and being committed that are tweeting at recruits after every loss. I just think a lot of the stuff is stupid I’m sure it’s annoying for the recruits although if it was me I would get a laugh out of it.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I am not on twitter or any other social media outlets but have seen things posted that were tweeted to players from out so called fans.

I’m on Twitter but I can pick and choose who I follow.  Honestly you can never tell who it really is either.  You can make an account saying you’re a Kentucky fan and bash all of their players.  Hell NBA players have “burner” accounts to do just that until they get busted.  

4 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Can’t question a coach in year 2.  It’s a big no no here.

Can you speak up I could not quite hear you😀 I have supported every coach that we have had. I had personal relationships  with all but Sampson. IMO outside of Knight he was head and shoulders above everyone else. I could not support that team. I l love EJ and DJ but did not like all the other stuff that was going on. If you ever went to a KS practice man that is how it is supposed to be done. I stole so much from his practices. Our guys played hard and with heart for most of the time. I would have loved for it to have worked out and we would have banners I believe but not at the cost of how our program was being portrayed. That is what I loved about Crean he cleaned it up and got us back into the discussion nationally but not enough. CAM knew this fan base and knows what is expected here and following Crean he knows that average does not work.  The university gave him 7 years for a reason and even if I disliked the man I would support him as long as the program is not tarnished like it was with Sampson. That does not mean they are above criticism. I have never called for anyone's job never would. I have been there and that coach still has a family and I don't care who you are being told by your boss they don't want you anymore hurts and I would not wish that on anyone. I was embarrassed by our fan base and how many treated CTC his last year or so. Like Dakich or not when he says IU eats their own there is some truth to that. 

3 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m on Twitter but I can pick and choose who I follow.  Honestly you can never tell who it really is either.  You can make an account saying you’re a Kentucky fan and bash all of their players.  Hell NBA players have “burner” accounts to do just that until they get busted.  

That’s the problem but unfortunately I think that’s just how bad the IQ of the fan base has gotten.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Can you speak up I could not quite hear you😀 I have supported every coach that we have had. I had personal relationships  with all but Sampson. IMO outside of Knight he was head and shoulders above everyone else. I could not support that team. I l love EJ and DJ but did not like all the other stuff that was going on. If you ever went to a KS practice man that is how it is supposed to be done. I stole so much from his practices. Our guys played hard and with heart for most of the time. I would have loved for it to have worked out and we would have banners I believe but not at the cost of how our program was being portrayed. That is what I loved about Crean he cleaned it up and got us back into the discussion nationally but not enough. CAM knew this fan base and knows what is expected here and following Crean he knows that average does not work.  The university gave him 7 years for a reason and even if I disliked the man I would support him as long as the program is not tarnished like it was with Sampson. That does not mean they are above criticism. I have never called for anyone's job never would. I have been there and that coach still has a family and I don't care who you are being told by your boss they don't want you anymore hurts and I would not wish that on anyone. I was embarrassed by our fan base and how many treated CTC his last year or so. Like Dakich or not when he says IU eats their own there is some truth to that. 

Dakich is right more than he’s wrong. The problem is a lot of people can’t get past the way he comes across. 

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I personally don’t dislike Archie just don’t think he’s the guy.  I hope like hell im wrong, I’ll be the first one to admit it if I am.  Maybe it’s just a couple of bad apples.  Next year is big for me in terms of what he does.

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

Dakich is right more than he’s wrong. The problem is a lot of people can’t get past the way he comes across. 

Work does not make it possible to listen to him much anymore. I was a regular follower and caller and had no issues. He does have a lot of truth to what he says and he also knows how to raise the ire of the fans and that drives business. Talk to him off the air and you will learn quite a bit. 

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Don't disagree with this, but Dakich puts a lot of that on himself. He treats people with disrespect, and then he can't take the backlash.  He is kind of a baby that way.  

I personally don’t dislike Archie just don’t think he’s the guy.  I hope like hell im wrong, I’ll be the first one to admit it if I am.  Maybe it’s just a couple of bad apples.  Next year is big for me in terms of what he does.

I don't dislike him either. Every year that I have coached I have taken my team to an IU practice and then at least 1 game. My high school coach did that and I was a kid that would never had the opportunity to step foot on campus had he not done that. I may never had gone to college had it not been for Jim Shannon to be quite honest. I have always tried to repay that favor. Many kids only dream of seeing a practice or game live. My kids are very spoiled and have been to tons and now have gotten to know players. My oldest text all 3 of the Zellers and Vic and some of the other guys. As a kid that would have been heaven for me. I try to do things like that for kids so that one day those that couldn't some day will be able to for tyheir kids. Of all the coaches that IU has had CBK, CMD, CKS, CDD, CTC, and CAM.  CAM is the only one that has denied our team and he said that those practices were closed but we could come to a game. I was fine with that. Contacted the office and we got sent a ticket package for seats in the balcony. I was not looking for free but I was very disappointed in the cost per player. In 8 of the 9 seasons that CTC was here not only did we get bleacher seats we were given all access to meet and greet.  I do understand from his point, CAM has a job to do and that is fine but that particular group of kids is the most under privileged group that I have had and that 1 small act could have had big dividends.  At the end of the day they got to see a game in Assembly Hall from the balcony which is fine.

17 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I'm sure you have said this in other threads, but I'll ask here. First, I don't think Archie is above criticism. I have my own criticisms of him. But, why do you say Archie is not the guy? 

What I see is a team that plays hard on defense, but occasionally gets let down by someone getting lost, or lazy or caught with their hands down. Failure of one player in the final 5 seconds negates the whole defensive possession. I see a team with a 6'7 center in the Big Ten. I see a team that gets open shots, but they can't hit them. I see a coaching staff that has recruited better than any coach we have had since early 90's RMK. I saw a team start 12-2, actually play @ Michigan really tough for the final 30 minutes. Almost win at Maryland, and then just total collapse. Amidst the collapse, win at MSU. 

Something weiRd is going on. And while Archie definitely shoulders the blame for some stuff, a decent amount falls on the players as well. Hitting shots cures A LOT. Hit some shots...don't shoot 20% or less from 3 in multiple conference games, and maybe we have 3 more wins, sitting at 16-8 and damn near a shoe-in to the tourney. 

38 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I don't dislike him either. Every year that I have coached I have taken my team to an IU practice and then at least 1 game. My high school coach did that and I was a kid that would never had the opportunity to step foot on campus had he not done that. I may never had gone to college had it not been for Jim Shannon to be quite honest. I have always tried to repay that favor. Many kids only dream of seeing a practice or game live. My kids are very spoiled and have been to tons and now have gotten to know players. My oldest text all 3 of the Zellers and Vic and some of the other guys. As a kid that would have been heaven for me. I try to do things like that for kids so that one day those that couldn't some day will be able to for tyheir kids. Of all the coaches that IU has had CBK, CMD, CKS, CDD, CTC, and CAM.  CAM is the only one that has denied our team and he said that those practices were closed but we could come to a game. I was fine with that. Contacted the office and we got sent a ticket package for seats in the balcony. I was not looking for free but I was very disappointed in the cost per player. In 8 of the 9 seasons that CTC was here not only did we get bleacher seats we were given all access to meet and greet.  I do understand from his point, CAM has a job to do and that is fine but that particular group of kids is the most under privileged group that I have had and that 1 small act could have had big dividends.  At the end of the day they got to see a game in Assembly Hall from the balcony which is fine.

Do you normally request access etc. during the off season? I would be willing to write the athletic office a letter on you behalf, and I am sure others here would be too. If you want to PM more info about your group etc. and who you normally contact, I would be more than happy to try and  help. I'm sure CAM will come to his senses with a little more grassroots effort. 

18 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

I'm sure you have said this in other threads, but I'll ask here. First, I don't think Archie is above criticism. I have my own criticisms of him. But, why do you say Archie is not the guy? 

What I see is a team that plays hard on defense, but occasionally gets let down by someone getting lost, or lazy or caught with their hands down. Failure of one player in the final 5 seconds negates the whole defensive possession. I see a team with a 6'7 center in the Big Ten. I see a team that gets open shots, but they can't hit them. I see a coaching staff that has recruited better than any coach we have had since early 90's RMK. I saw a team start 12-2, actually play @ Michigan really tough for the final 30 minutes. Almost win at Maryland, and then just total collapse. Amidst the collapse, win at MSU. 

Something weiRd is going on. And while Archie definitely shoulders the blame for some stuff, a decent amount falls on the players as well. Hitting shots cures A LOT. Hit some shots...don't shoot 20% or less from 3 in multiple conference games, and maybe we have 3 more wins, sitting at 16-8 and damn near a shoe-in to the tourney. 

Just don’t see him using the bench enough for discipline for my liking, don’t like his offense, and don’t know what happened but last year when a timeout was called we scored a lot after them.  This year I can only remember 2-3 times like that.  A lot of this could be the players, chemistry, etc.  but to me good coaches adapt to that on the fly.  He’s young and probably still learning a lot so that’s why I said next year, for me will be a big test for him.  Hoping he gets the negativity out of the locker room one way or another and I hope we see an improved team.  I’ll be the first to admit I get way to caught up in the game

41 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I know last year my head coach I work for went and watched a practice at a clinic. While there the Bill Comar the dobo gave him his number and said that anytime they wanted to come watch a practice he would set something up. Well this year he was told that all the practices were closed. Seemed strange at the time and now with all the disfunction it does make me wonder what's going on but I'm will to give CAM the benefit of the doubt for the time being.  

1 hour ago, DocHoosier said:

The concern is how Indiana fans vent their frustration. Tweeting recruits/teenagers? Bad mouthing players on Facebook and Twitter, talking about pulling scholarships and kicking players off teams? Put yourself in the players shoes... 18 years old with grown men blowing up your timeline being critical of you. Any parent would have concern. 

I am not suggesting you do this Billingsley, but I have seen it from many outspoken members of our fan base. Being passionately frustrated by this teams lack of play is understandable. Tweeting recruits and players in the heat of the moment is absolutely NOT. 

Hope KBJ chooses the Hoosiers!

This happens everywhere 

12 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Do you normally request access etc. during the off season? If so, I would be willing to write the athletic office a letter on you behalf, and I am sure others here would be too. It want to PM more info about your group etc. and who you normally contact, I would be more than happy to try and  help. I'm sure CAM will come to his senses with a little more grassroots effort. 

Thank you very much. I am no longer coaching.  New job and 2 kids in college and with Aydens health issues it was time to move on. In the past I would contact the basketball office and they would give me practice schedule for the week and say give a days notice in case of any changes. With Davis and Crean we had an open door I would text them and they let me know when certain days would not work. Some practice you might not want kids around if you know what I mean. I had an open door with Knight and he would go out of his way to coach to our kids. Sorry all over the place on this. Davis and Crean total access to locker rooms etc. There used to be a slushie machine in player area and I had a pic of Bracey Wright and my players having a slushie. Memories they will never forget.

I have a couple connections in the office and I reached out and was told they no longer handle those requests so I just let it go. I can't speak to if coaches rule on closed practices is the same or not

23 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I know last year my head coach I work for went and watched a practice at a clinic. While there the Bill Comar the dobo gave him his number and said that anytime they wanted to come watch a practice he would set something up. Well this year he was told that all the practices were closed. Seemed strange at the time and now with all the disfunction it does make me wonder what's going on but I'm will to give CAM the benefit of the doubt for the time being.  

We tried last year to see practice before games started and in December and were told all practices were closed. Not hard feelings I just know what those few times I went as a kid really impacted me.

17 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thank you very much. I am no longer coaching.  New job and 2 kids in college and with Aydens health issues it was time to move on. In the past I would contact the basketball office and they would give me practice schedule for the week and say give a days notice in case of any changes. With Davis and Crean we had an open door I would text them and they let me know when certain days would not work. Some practice you might not want kids around if you know what I mean. I had an open door with Knight and he would go out of his way to coach to our kids. Sorry all over the place on this. Davis and Crean total access to locker rooms etc. There used to be a slushie machine in player area and I had a pic of Bracey Wright and my players having a slushie. Memories they will never forget.

I have a couple connections in the office and I reached out and was told they no longer handle those requests so I just let it go. I can't speak to if coaches rule on closed practices is the same or not

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting to know. Hopefully once the dust settles a bit, things will change. This stuff really is about empowerment and experiences for kids (including the players). I get closed practices, but it seems they would have one a week or so where groups like yours could come. 

12 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting to know. Hopefully once the dust settles a bit, things will change. This stuff really is about empowerment and experiences for kids (including the players). I get closed practices, but it seems they would have one a week or so where groups like yours could come. 

I took one of the boys to Hoosier hysteria and we were court side and he was in Awe. He told me that he was going to IU for sure.  He is a 5th grader lots of time to change. We talked about some grade issues he is having and how they might prevent that dream. His parents told me he had never talked about going to college, no one in his family had and grades were an issue. As of right now he is an honor student A B planning to go to college. That's what this is and has always been about

Archived