Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cohete15 said:

I see a coaching staff that has recruited better than any coach we have had since early 90's RMK.

This is a weird claim to me. The 2018 class is fine. It had one top 100 kid - two, if you want to include Race Thompson before he reclassified - and then several four-year, developmental pieces. Romeo committing gave the class the star power it needed, but he'll be gone after this season; after he leaves it becomes a good class, not a great one. It was hoped that Romeo would give the 2019 class some momentum, but that didn't happen. Trayce finally committed after teasing us for a year, but we missed on a number of true centers. We also missed on a handful of guard targets before taking another developmental piece unlikely to contribute as an underclassmen. We haven't received commitments from Keion nor Trendon, and we're scrambling late for backup plans in Harlond Beverly and Lester Quinones.

The recruiting has been more focused on in-state prospects, and I understand why some find that appealing. Saying that the level of recruiting overall is better than since the early 90's is simply not true. I could argue Cody's 2011 class through Thomas Bryant's 2015 class match and exceed what we've seen from Archie so far.

1 minute ago, Maedhros said:

This is a weird claim to me. The 2018 class is fine. It had one top 100 kid - two, if you want to include Race Thompson before he reclassified - and then several four-year, developmental pieces. Romeo committing gave the class the star power it needed, but he'll be gone after this season; after he leaves it becomes a good class, not a great one. It was hoped that Romeo would give the 2019 class some momentum, but that didn't happen. Trayce finally committed after teasing us for a year, but we missed on a number of true centers. We also missed on a handful of guard targets before taking another developmental piece unlikely to contribute as an underclassmen. We haven't received commitments from Keion nor Trendon, and we're scrambling late for backup plans in Harlond Beverly and Lester Quinones.

The recruiting has been more focused on in-state prospects, and I understand why some find that appealing. Saying that the level of recruiting overall is better than since the early 90's is simply not true. I could argue Cody's 2011 class through Thomas Bryant's 2015 class match and exceed what we've seen from Archie so far.

Romeo was top 5 and Hunter was a top 50 player

59 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I took one of the boys to Hoosier hysteria and we were court side and he was in Awe. He told me that he was going to IU for sure.  He is a 5th grader lots of time to change. We talked about some grade issues he is having and how they might prevent that dream. His parents told me he had never talked about going to college, no one in his family had and grades were an issue. As of right now he is an honor student A B planning to go to college. That's what this is and has always been about

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Ok some people who are claiming we have the best recruiting since early 90s are basing what the end product was in that time period vs the PROJECTED talent is we MIGHT have coming in last season and this season.

does anyone who was alive and or did their home grasp how AMAZING the recruiting class of Patterson, Reed, Miller, Hodgeson, and that other guard was???!! We are talking about a top 2-3 class nationally followed by a 5 star center named Jason Collier. No folks stars don’t always pan out.

you old people remember the comparisons of Charlie Miller to cheaney??!! Lol

14 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Ok some people who are claiming we have the best recruiting since early 90s are basing what the end product was in that time period vs the PROJECTED talent is we MIGHT have coming in last season and this season.

does anyone who was alive and or did their home grasp how AMAZING the recruiting class of Patterson, Reed, Miller, Hodgeson, and that other guard was???!! We are talking about a top 2-3 class nationally followed by a 5 star center named Jason Collier. No folks stars don’t always pan out.

Oh yeah. I was there up close for the Miller dunk on Purdue.  I thought that was his coming out moment.  Had Knight handled the Miller he never would have stepped foot on campus 

Can I just say that while IU fans and all sports fans acting like idiots is stupid on social media, it isn’t going away.  It’s the price you as an athlete pay when you want to promote your brand and build your potential empire.  To me if these kids really wanted to focus on their craft and not their brand they would get off social media or hand the management over to a team.

Best thing Mitch Trubiskey did was get off social media.  More athletes should do it including these young kids.  The moment you start putting your life in the open you are inviting these crazy things to happen.

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

First, the 2018 class isn't all about rankings. Archie and staff did exactly what they wanted with that class. They got good talent, they got a good mix of it, and they wanted to lock down the state. They got 3 of the Top 4 Indiana HS players after how many months on the job? One of those recruits being one of the top prospects in the history of the state. Then they got Top 50 Jerome Hunter and Jake Forrester as a lower rated development guy with seemingly good tools and character. Romeo, Rob, Jerome all expected to contribute right away as freshmen, Damezi as a spot minute guy early on and Jake as a potential red shirt guy. That's how a program is built.

Then for the 2019 class, we are looking at two 5-stars and a probable 4-star...all from Indiana. Yes, we missed on DJ Carton. Not every 5-star will commit to us. We are not recruiting Trendon Watford. It means nothing that a player didn't commit exactly when you thought they should commit. Who are the "number of true centers" we missed out on? Stewart? Beverly is a 6'4 guard, ranked in the Top 100.

You're criticizing Archie for scrambling on a 4-star guard, and touting the 2011-2015 classes, when 3-star Remy Abell was the 2nd highest rated player in Cody's class. The 2012 class had 1 out of 5 players signed actually play any significant minutes and finish their career at IU. 2013 had Vonleh and Troy Williams...that's very comparable to Romeo and Jerome. 2014 had Blackmon and RoJo....then 3-star Emmitt Holt, Jeremiah April, Tim Priller and Max Hoetzel. 2015 ended up being a GREAT class...but not a single person here was excited about Juwan Morgan and OG Anunoby.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Cody's class is as good or better than 2018.... lol what? 

T'was never what I said. On paper, wouldn't you agree the 2011 class doesn't look much different than the 2019 as it stands today? Cody Zeller, Austin Etherington and Remy Abell, against Trayce Jackson-Davis and Armaan Franklin? I'd call it a wash. 

8 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

First, the 2018 class isn't all about rankings. Archie and staff did exactly what they wanted with that class. They got good talent, they got a good mix of it, and they wanted to lock down the state. They got 3 of the Top 4 Indiana HS players after how many months on the job? One of those recruits being one of the top prospects in the history of the state. Then they got Top 50 Jerome Hunter and Jake Forrester as a lower rated development guy with seemingly good tools and character. Romeo, Rob, Jerome all expected to contribute right away as freshmen, Damezi as a spot minute guy early on and Jake as a potential red shirt guy. That's how a program is built.

Then for the 2019 class, we are looking at two 5-stars and a probable 4-star...all from Indiana. Yes, we missed on DJ Carton. Not every 5-star will commit to us. We are not recruiting Trendon Watford. It means nothing that a player didn't commit exactly when you thought they should commit. Who are the "number of true centers" we missed out on? Stewart? Beverly is a 6'4 guard, ranked in the Top 100.

You're criticizing Archie for scrambling on a 4-star guard, and touting the 2011-2015 classes, when 3-star Remy Abell was the 2nd highest rated player in Cody's class. The 2012 class had 1 out of 5 players signed actually play any significant minutes and finish their career at IU. 2013 had Vonleh and Troy Williams...that's very comparable to Romeo and Jerome. 2014 had Blackmon and RoJo....then 3-star Emmitt Holt, Jeremiah April, Tim Priller and Max Hoetzel. 2015 ended up being a GREAT class...but not a single person here was excited about Juwan Morgan and OG Anunoby.

The 2018 was fine and a good start. I'm not complaining about it. When you claim that it's somehow unprecedented since the early 90's, that's where I push back. As for 2019, you don't get to assume Keion Brooks, nor assume an extra star for Armaan Franklin.

In your last paragraph, you're judging each class based on what we know about them now... except for the 2015 class where it suits your narrative to judge what we thought of those signees at the time. Pick one. In truth, we don't yet know what the 2018 class will turn out to be. Only one player from the class so far has been a consistent contributor and he'll be gone after the season. Rob looked to be getting there, until the concussion derailed his season. We don't know if Jerome Hunter will ever play a game, nor what Race, Damezi nor Jake will ultimately become. You can look back today on 2012's The Movement class and tell me all about how it flamed out. We don't have that hindsight yet with the 2018 class. We can only judge it by what we think it will become, and by that standard, yes, we've had at least a couple comparable classes since the early 90's.

Just now, Maedhros said:

T'was never what I said. On paper, wouldn't you agree the 2011 class doesn't look much different than the 2019 as it stands today? Cody Zeller, Austin Etherington and Remy Abell, against Trayce Jackson-Davis and Armaan Franklin? I'd call it a wash. 

The 2018 was fine and a good start. I'm not complaining about it. When you claim that it's somehow unprecedented since the early 90's, that's where I push back. As for 2019, you don't get to assume Keion Brooks, nor assume an extra star for Armaan Franklin.

In your last paragraph, you're judging each class based on what we know about them now... except for the 2015 class where it suits your narrative to judge what we thought of those signees at the time. Pick one. In truth, we don't yet know what the 2018 class will turn out to be. Only one player from the class so far has been a consistent contributor and he'll be gone after the season. Rob looked to be getting there, until the concussion derailed his season. We don't know if Jerome Hunter will ever play a game, nor what Race, Damezi nor Jake will ultimately become. You can look back today on 2012's The Movement class and tell me all about how it flamed out. We don't have that hindsight yet with the 2018 class. We can only judge it by what we think it will become, and by that standard, yes, we've had at least a couple comparable classes since the early 90's.

We've only seen one class from Archie... so no... that class of AE, CZ, and RA isn't as good as what we just signed. 

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

remember those classes as well and don't forget Luke Recker was a top recruit as well.  the problem with that group was that they could not handle the type of coach RMK was so we saw a lot of them leave.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

remember those classes as well and don't forget Luke Recker was a top recruit as well.  the problem with that group was that they could not handle the type of coach RMK was so we saw a lot of them leave.

The real problem with those groups for the most part is that Knight was not the recruiter. He was not sitting in the living room with those kids and the number of visits allowed shrank. Most players prior by the time they made a decision they KNEW Knight and more importantly Knight Knew them. It took a certain type of player to play for him and as he backed off the recruiting and the number of visit dropped we had guys that needed to transfer. 

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Feel free to speak up then

Are you implying that i know.., if there was a scuffle in the mens locker room then yes somebody knows what happened, things like this dont just leak out,i have had differant people txt me about it and they all have heard the samething,people on this board heard it before i did.

19 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Are you implying that i know.., if there was a scuffle in the mens locker room then yes somebody knows what happened, things like this dont just leak out,i have had differant people txt me about it and they all have heard the samething,people on this board heard it before i did.

Honestly it sounds a lot worse than it was.  Nothing big, as someone else said if they were winning it wouldn’t be a deal at all.

3 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Honestly it sounds a lot worse than it was.  Nothing big, as someone else said if they were winning it wouldn’t be a deal at all.

I think most here who played sports to any significant extent, were at some point directly involved in or witnessed a "scuffle."

McHoop

9 hours ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

No, don't let it get out of control, my comment is merely in regards to how Brooks supposed imminent commitment keeps getting pushed back further and further...OR it may be in regards to a team that was considered a lock may not be anymore. 

Fair enough.  Appreciate you clarifying that.  I'm just trying to keep track of who I should pay the closest attention to. 😂

Archived