Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

Can't disagree with most of what you said. Just found the "taking a deeper look" comment from Keion, sr ironic when it comes to Cal. I pointed out several examples; you would think opposing coaches could construct a better case with numerous more examples. But at the end of the day, you are correct,  it only matters what the kid and his family perceive to be true. By the time you realize you have become the next Marcus Lee, Harrison twin, Quade Green, or Skal Labissiere, it's too late.

Sorry for the current residence. Bet you really get sick of seeing all the UK attire. I mean seriously,  you're no lesser of a fan if you only wear team gear six days/wk!

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Can't disagree with most of what you said. Just found the "taking a deeper look" comment from Keion, sr ironic when it comes to Cal. I pointed out several examples; you would think opposing coaches could construct a better case with numerous more examples. But at the end of the day, you are correct,  it only matters what the kid and his family perceive to be true. By the time you realize you have become the next Marcus Lee, Harrison twin, Quade Green, or Skal Labissiere, it's too late.

Sorry for the current residence. Bet you really get sick of seeing all the UK attire. I mean seriously,  you're no lesser of a fan if you only wear team gear six days/wk!

Cal can turn a 5 star kid into a 3 star in a hurry but I dont remember him ever making a 3 star kid into a 5 star. Dont get it.

1 minute ago, CapnRon said:

Seriously though is Calipari really selling Keion, or is IU straight blowing this because we suck? 

Honestly, I have no idea anymore.  Recruiting is as fluid as a river.  I’m firmly in the camp of “whatever happens will happen” now.  With that attitude, it’s a lot easier to watch recruiting play out as this one has.

Looking at their incoming recruits for next year, they have a top 10 overall 6-3 combo guard, top 10 overall 6-6 wing, and 4 star 6-6 wing from Kentucky. They will also return 6-6 fan favorite Tyler Herro. 

Might wanna think this one through Brooks family. They lose Travis and most likely Washington,  leaving NO post. That is a recipe for little playing time, or being forced to play the post.  Good luck with that.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Looking at their incoming recruits for next year, they have a top 10 overall 6-3 combo guard, top 10 overall 6-6 wing, and 4 star 6-6 wing from Kentucky. They will also return 6-6 fan favorite Tyler Herro. 

Might wanna think this one through Brooks family. They lose Travis and most likely Washington,  leaving NO post. That is a recipe for little playing time, or being forced to play the post.  Good luck with that.

That's what I was saying earlier.  The selling point of immediate playing time and 1-and-done is not even close to a guarantee there.  If he gives it some more time, I think he will see that.  Not saying he isn't capable of doing those things, but with UK you never know how you are going to fit in.

4 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

That's what I was saying earlier.  The selling point of immediate playing time and 1-and-done is not even close to a guarantee there.  If he gives it some more time, I think he will see that.  Not saying he isn't capable of doing those things, but with UK you never know how you are going to fit in.

I saw somewhere that Brooks thinks he’ll play over the 4 star though. Which is a gamble imo but who knows what Cal has told him. 

21 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I saw somewhere that Brooks thinks he’ll play over the 4 star though. Which is a gamble imo but who knows what Cal has told him. 

Very risky. The Kentucky fans I know hate the OAD construction of the team. Cal's act has worn thin on them. They are hungry for a homegrown kid like a Darius Miller. If the kid is even decent,  he will be a fan favorite.  Cal will feel some serious pressure to play him. No one down there will give a rip about some kid from Fort Wayne.

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Very risky. The Kentucky fans I know hate the OAD construction of the team. Cal's act has worn thin on them. They are hungry for a homegrown kid like a Darius Miller. If the kid is even decent,  he will be a fan favorite.  Cal will feel some serious pressure to play him. No one down there will give a rip about some kid from Fort Wayne.

All Cal has to do is get him there. Sell him on playing time and NBA future. Once Brooks signs It’s too late.

Several things I think....not that any of them are accurate, but just my opinions.

- I don't think that being beloved by the IU fan base, or just being viewed as another OAD makes any difference to Keion. If he's only going to be in school one year, not sure that in the grand scheme of things that either one of these would happen anyhow. I do think that he is most interested in creating his brand, so to speak. And right now, UK is much more in the spotlight than we are. If that is truly his desire, he will get more exposure playing for the coach who is constantly in the national media, and for the team that is a darling of ESPN . IU would bring Keion local/regional exposure. UK brings a national lens .

- Given his decision to go to LaLu, I don't believe that team loyalty, hometown/home state loyalty, is all that important to Keion. He left FW North Side, where he certainly would have been the man, possible Mr. Basketball for the state, to go to a basketball factory. Lots of issues went into that decision, but bottom line, North had an excellent team coming back this year. Their coach left, Keion left, then it became a mass exodus from the school. Keion could have been the leader that stayed and helped the program excel through the transition to the new coach. Instead, he left. He had his reasons, certainly. Loyalty to the local program wasn't one of them.

- I do believe that the backstory and drama surrounding this year's team has affected Keion's recruitment. If he is only planning on being in school for one year, not having to deal with any possible fallout from this year's team, anything that does not resolve itself, would be important to his decision. As well, in the WANE TV interview I posted a week or so ago, Keion stated that he talks to several of his friends currently in college. I feel confident that Romeo would be one of those people, and would be concerned over the feedback Romeo provides, given how this season has gone down for him both individually as well as for the team.

Just a few thoughts. Hope I am wrong on all of them. Concerned at this point that I am not.

26 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

....... I do think that he is most interested in creating his brand, so to speak. And right now, UK is much more in the spotlight than we are. If that is truly his desire, he will get more exposure playing for the coach who is constantly in the national media, and for the team that is a darling of ESPN ......

If that is the case with KB, I'm not so sure this is the time or situation for him to come to IU.  At this point, likely OAD's are of little benefit - especially if they are intently focused on the next level .  I'm not so sure that at this time OAD players aren't a detriment.  We all want players to lead, and it's a rare player that can lead or even play consistently well as a freshman.  Reading some of the comments last summer from M. Hurt's dad gave me the sense that the college experience for him was going to be about 1 thing: personal benefit.  Nothing wrong with that - we all went to college to prepare for our future, but CAM desperately needs to establish the foundation and momentum for the program - not to be a farm system for the NBA.

Again, I don't know how KBJ sees his basketball career, or short-term plans.  How focused he is on getting to the NBA is something I have no feel for.  I am only concerned about getting our program out of the toilet.

KB Jr just posted a photo from last night. Giant dude in back row with a UK jersey on. Just great. Regarding brand or I think I saw someone mention it. Ask Kris Wilkes about his brand. I wish these guys understood when you sign up for IU you sign up for life. Yes...I know Kentucky will take of their own....but it's not the same as our love affair with our high school players that choose IU. Just isn't. 

PS....Cal is hosting 2 top 10 wings this weekend for 2020 class. KB Jr already getting recruited over. Better be careful on this choice.

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

KB Jr just posted a photo from last night. Giant dude in back row with a UK jersey on. Just great. Regarding brand or I think I saw someone mention it. Ask Kris Wilkes about his brand. I wish these guys understood when you sign up for IU you sign up for life. Yes...I know Kentucky will take of their own....but it's not the same as our love affair with our high school players that choose IU. Just isn't. 

PS....Cal is hosting 2 top 10 wings this weekend for 2020 class. KB Jr already getting recruited over. Better be careful on this choice.

Exactly.  The UK fans I know hate their system, can't stand Cal, but are part of "Big Blue Nation". They don't even attempt to learn the players names, and most can't stand the NBA.  My wife, who has a great memory, and loves UK, is constantly asking me, "What was that one guys name that left early and played guard two years ago?"

Most I know can't stand Marquise Teague because he struggled at times like any freshmen. And they actually WON the title that year. The loyalty at UK is from Cal for HIS players, not from the fans.

Hope it works out for Keion. If it doesn't, he won't have Hoosier or Big Blue Nation to fall back on. And Cal only invites lottery picks back for photo ops!

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Several things I think....not that any of them are accurate, but just my opinions.

- I don't think that being beloved by the IU fan base, or just being viewed as another OAD makes any difference to Keion. If he's only going to be in school one year, not sure that in the grand scheme of things that either one of these would happen anyhow. I do think that he is most interested in creating his brand, so to speak. And right now, UK is much more in the spotlight than we are. If that is truly his desire, he will get more exposure playing for the coach who is constantly in the national media, and for the team that is a darling of ESPN . IU would bring Keion local/regional exposure. UK brings a national lens .

- Given his decision to go to LaLu, I don't believe that team loyalty, hometown/home state loyalty, is all that important to Keion. He left FW North Side, where he certainly would have been the man, possible Mr. Basketball for the state, to go to a basketball factory. Lots of issues went into that decision, but bottom line, North had an excellent team coming back this year. Their coach left, Keion left, then it became a mass exodus from the school. Keion could have been the leader that stayed and helped the program excel through the transition to the new coach. Instead, he left. He had his reasons, certainly. Loyalty to the local program wasn't one of them.

- I do believe that the backstory and drama surrounding this year's team has affected Keion's recruitment. If he is only planning on being in school for one year, not having to deal with any possible fallout from this year's team, anything that does not resolve itself, would be important to his decision. As well, in the WANE TV interview I posted a week or so ago, Keion stated that he talks to several of his friends currently in college. I feel confident that Romeo would be one of those people, and would be concerned over the feedback Romeo provides, given how this season has gone down for him both individually as well as for the team.

Just a few thoughts. Hope I am wrong on all of them. Concerned at this point that I am not.

Actually once the coach left North Side who Brooks was at odds with and they didn’t hire Brooks Sr. as the coach it was not a surprise that he left. Also the Kroft brothers went with Shabazz to Richmond so I don’t think KB leaving had anything to do with that. They were loyal to the coach over the school and the team and without them North would not have been very good this year even with KB.

Listened to Assembly Call yesterday and Ryan Phillips said he was told that Keion really loves IU and Archie and would really like to play with TJD.  Also was told that is family thinks Keion is a one and done player and thinks it would be best for him at UK.  So it could be a battle of who wins out and to me the family should let Keion decide what he wants to do.  If that is to go to UK then fine but if it is IU they should allow that.

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Listened to Assembly Call yesterday and Ryan Phillips said he was told that Keion really loves IU and Archie and would really like to play with TJD.  Also was told that is family thinks Keion is a one and done player and thinks it would be best for him at UK.  So it could be a battle of who wins out and to me the family should let Keion decide what he wants to do.  If that is to go to UK then fine but if it is IU they should allow that.

I've looked at all the 2020 mock drafts and I haven't seen them put keions name in any of them, so I'm not sure who is filling his head with the idea he's some guaranteed OAD. Am I really to believe that cal is gonna make this kid a lotto pick when he prioritized a dozen other players over him and will likely make Keion come off the bench? 

I know I'm obviously biased but with the likelihood of him not being a OAD this IU team could look really deep & talented when he returns for his soph season. 

The amount of money in professional sports really puts the college game in a poor situation.  I cant blame his family one bit for wanting to capitalize on the market as soon as possible.  I would hope they support whatever their son chooses.  If he is NBA caliber talent he will make his money one way or the other.  Hopefully he's happy with his decision. 

Life will go on in Hoosier Nation either way.  Next year has to be better with or without Keion.  

14 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I've looked at all the 2020 mock drafts and I haven't seen them put keions name in any of them, so I'm not sure who is filling his head with the idea he's some guaranteed OAD. Am I really to believe that cal is gonna make this kid a lotto pick when he prioritized a dozen other players over him and will likely make Keion come off the bench? 

I know I'm obviously biased but with the likelihood of him not being a OAD this IU team could look really deep & talented when he returns for his soph season. 

A lot of kids get this in their head even though they are not even close to being one and done players.  What these kids need to look at is that a lot of the kids who do come back to UK for a second year does not get better except for Washington.

Archived