Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Listened to Assembly Call yesterday and Ryan Phillips said he was told that Keion really loves IU and Archie and would really like to play with TJD.  Also was told that is family thinks Keion is a one and done player and thinks it would be best for him at UK.  So it could be a battle of who wins out and to me the family should let Keion decide what he wants to do.  If that is to go to UK then fine but if it is IU they should allow that.

If true, that's an impossible situation for Keion. If he goes to IU, he may be constantly second-guessed by family. Or he can choose UK to appease family and not be happy with his situation.

Likewise, who knows if he really wants to be a OAD? If not, but family pushing it, then wherever he ends up they'll be in his ear about using his one year to showcase for the next level.

Well, as nice as it would’ve been to land him, I understand his circumstances don’t align with where our program is at right now. So I’ll just chalk this up for what it is and move on. This felt more like a Teague than a Lyles recruitment. Lyles made a verbal commitment, where Teague never did so. 

I hope they go hard after Watford on his visit!

I don’t get why if he is so set on being a OAD he wants to go to UK. If he is good enough to be one it doesn’t matter what school you go to. Look at Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz. They were both on bad teams that nobody really paid attention to and they both went #1 overall. Although Fultz isn’t working out well right now. 

14 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Well, as nice as it would’ve been to land him, I understand his circumstances don’t align with where our program is at right now. So I’ll just chalk this up for what it is and move on. This felt more like a Teague than a Lyles recruitment. Lyles made a verbal commitment, where Teague never did so. 

I hope they go hard after Watford on his visit!

there's a lot of truth in the saying....timing is everything.

Our timetable just didn't match up with Keion's

4 minutes ago, IUskim said:

I don’t get why if he is so set on being a OAD he wants to go to UK. If he is good enough to be one it doesn’t matter what school you go to. Look at Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz. They were both on bad teams that nobody really paid attention to and they both went #1 overall. Although Fultz isn’t working out well right now. 

Exactly.  And an excellent take.  

Too bad we won't be able to "ketchup" with Brooks in Bloomington.  As much as we all want him, this type of move to a 1-and-done factory like UK seemed likely the minute Keion ditched his HS team and friends to play at LaLu.  (I don't blame him for that either)  UK is more like LaLu than IU, where the added pressure of academics would be more challenging.  I can understand why young Mr. Brooks would choose Kentucky.  I don't wish him any ill.  I also won't be rooting for him at UK.   On to the next... maybe Archie can overcome this year's train wreck of a season and land a guy like Watford.  Whomever shows up to play, I hope they are competitors that aren't happy to just be stars on campus.   Guys who-- you know-- actually want to win and are willing to put in the work to become great.

7 minutes ago, Lizard said:

Too bad we won't be able to "ketchup" with Brooks in Bloomington.  As much as we all want him, this type of move to a 1-and-done factory like UK seemed likely the minute Keion ditched his HS team and friends to play at LaLu.  (I don't blame him for that either)  UK is more like LaLu than IU, where the added pressure of academics would be more challenging.  I can understand why young Mr. Brooks would choose Kentucky.  I don't wish him any ill.  I also won't be rooting for him at UK.   On to the next... maybe Archie can overcome this year's train wreck of a season and land a guy like Watford.  Whomever shows up to play, I hope they are competitors that aren't happy to just be stars on campus.   Guys who-- you know-- actually want to win and are willing to put in the work to become great.

Well I like Heinz ketchup better anyways

Disappointed,  but if oad is he and his family's main objective,  probably not the best fit right now for trying to establish a new culture. Just hope the "Ferrari" they bought from the used car salesman in Lexington doesn't turn out to be an 87 Yugo that leaves them stranded by the side of the road with no assistance. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Disappointed,  but if oad is he and his family's main objective,  probably not the best fit right now for trying to establish a new culture. Just hope the "Ferrari" they bought from the used car salesman in Lexington doesn't turn out to be an 87 Yugo that leaves them stranded by the side of the road with no assistance. 

Remember the Harrison twins who thought they were one and done players but were not good enough and was finally ran off after their second year.

2 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

I've looked at all the 2020 mock drafts and I haven't seen them put keions name in any of them, so I'm not sure who is filling his head with the idea he's some guaranteed OAD. Am I really to believe that cal is gonna make this kid a lotto pick when he prioritized a dozen other players over him and will likely make Keion come off the bench? 

I know I'm obviously biased but with the likelihood of him not being a OAD this IU team could look really deep & talented when he returns for his soph season. 

Not to beat a dead horse but UCLA beat writer the other day said Wilkes is projected in 2nd round only for this year's draft. Keep working on that brand KW. Food for thought Keion. 

Archived