Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I m sure that UNC is telling Brooks that they already have Smith and Hunter who will play ahead of you so come here and start right away.  I hope he is not afraid to go to a place that he has to compete and not just be given something without earning it.

Did you see Archie's presser yesterday where he said Jerome winning the gold jersey was due in large part to his excellent shooting?  An RP, Hunter, Brooks, Smith, TJD starting 5 next season has me excited.  We'd then have Al, Green, Davis, Race, Anderson, and Forrester off the bench.  That's a FF contender.  I hope Archie is selling Brooks on Jerome playing the 2.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Did you see Archie's presser yesterday where he said Jerome winning the gold jersey was due in large part to his excellent shooting?  An RP, Hunter, Brooks, Smith, TJD starting 5 next season has me excited.  We'd then have Al, Green, Davis, Race, Anderson, and Forrester off the bench.  That's a FF contender.  I hope Archie is selling Brooks on Jerome playing the 2.

I know it was only a couple of HS games but Brooks did not look that great to me where I would say he would definitely be a starter from day 1.

Joel Embiid infamously barely played at Kansas. Kentucky has 5 star players who don't start year two let alone day one. Jontay Porter from Missori also comes to mind from last season. This is why Kentucky can recruit as many 5 stars as do what they do every year. There are no upper classmen to compete with. But a four star Senior is usually going to beat out all but maybe the top 5 freshmen coming in so if you're a fringe 5 star like Brooks you better find a team with an immediate and glaring need or you're probably not going to start. Doesn't mean there aren't plenty of minutes to go around if you are versatile like he is, playing multiple potions. Even if he doesn't start at IU he can easily earn 25 minutes a game assuming he plays up to his potential. 

26 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Joel Embiid infamously barely played at Kansas. Kentucky has 5 star players who don't start year two let alone day one. Jontay Porter from Missori also comes to mind from last season. This is why Kentucky can recruit as many 5 stars as do what they do every year. There are no upper classmen to compete with. But a four star Senior is usually going to beat out all but maybe the top 5 freshmen coming in so if you're a fringe 5 star like Brooks you better find a team with an immediate and glaring need or you're probably not going to start. Doesn't mean there aren't plenty of minutes to go around if you are versatile like he is, playing multiple potions. Even if he doesn't start at IU he can easily earn 25 minutes a game assuming he plays up to his potential. 

27 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Joel Embiid started every big 12 game he played in. And let’s be honest we aren’t at Kentucky’s level on recruiting. And even there the majority of 5 stars start day 1

the simple fact is that 5 stars expect to start and barring poor play they do. 

Ran across this MSU fan perspective while reading GBI for amusement purposes.  Apparently, they think Stewart and Brooks are very tight and may play as a package.  I think that's pretty questionable, but always interesting to hear other perspectives, even if it's an annoying MSU fan.

"Also on brooks our odds heavily depend on getting his best friend and top 5 overall kid Stewart. 

I think we get one of Carey or Stewart. If it’s stewart we become the favorite for brooks."

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Ran across this MSU fan perspective while reading GBI for amusement purposes.  Apparently, they think Stewart and Brooks are very tight and may play as a package.  I think that's pretty questionable, but always interesting to hear other perspectives, even if it's an annoying MSU fan.

"Also on brooks our odds heavily depend on getting his best friend and top 5 overall kid Stewart. 

I think we get one of Carey or Stewart. If it’s stewart we become the favorite for brooks."

Anyone else hear anything like this?

Not sure I buy it. The package deal talk comes up a lot but rarely works out. I feel like I've heard it with him and TJD, too. 

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

That just sounds like uninformed kids spouting random crap. So Brooks best friend in the whole world is a guy he hasn’t even played a game with or spent one summer hanging out with? Let’s be honest if Brooks is a package deal it will be with TJD not Stewart. They act like Brooks has been playing at La Lu for years together with Stewart instead of on the same AAU team with Trayce. Weird!

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That just sounds like uninformed kids spouting random crap. So Brooks best friend in the whole world is a guy he hasn’t even played a game with or spent one summer hanging out with? Let’s be honest if Brooks is a package deal it will be with TJD not Stewart. They act like Brooks has been playing at La Lu for years together with Stewart instead of on the same AAU team with Trayce. Weird!

Yeah, was the first time I'd heard that combination. No doubt due to the La Lumiere connection his year, but I don't buy it.

6 hours ago, Max said:

I’m gonna be sick if we don’t get KBJ. You cannot miss on a kid like this.

With that said, in CoachSS and 0708 we trust. 

It's weird how things change. This isn't directed towards you at all....but I remember last winter/spring the general sentiment from many was cool if we get him cool if we don't. Several cited some of the off the court issues,etc....as a reason why we could miss out on him. 

My opinion hasn't changed. Really want this kid and I'll be ticked if we miss to Roy and his bs.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

It's weird how things change. This isn't directed towards you at all....but I remember last winter/spring the general sentiment from many was cool if we get him cool if we don't. Several cited some of the off the court issues,etc....as a reason why we could miss out on him. 

My opinion hasn't changed. Really want this kid and I'll be ticked if we miss to Roy and his bs.

One thing that has changed is our list of active recruits for this next class.  Now that we're down to (from what I presume) 2 or 3 realistic recruits and a couple more long shots, we have to close the deal on our top two (and in state) targets, IMO.

As for the MSU assertion about KBJ and Stewart, not only have I never read about that I also recall Romeo and Grimes (and Garland too) being super close friends and we know how that turned out.  The PU / MSU squabbling was quite amusing though.

10 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I really want him too...but I still felt given the state of our roster that Keion was one of the guys we could most afford to miss on. With Smith, Hunter, Anderson, Race, Moore, Davis, and hopefully TJD we are pretty good at the 3-5. I still feel like the 2 next year is more of a question mark then any position on our roster given Romeo likely leaving. I had high hopes for landing a top guard like Ramsey or even Bouknight and while Armaan will be a great defender not sure we still won't have need at the 2 next year. I still would rather have Brooks than not...but it won't exactly end our hopes for next year. Archie would just have to make up for it in other players/ways.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I really want him too...but I still felt given the state of our roster that Keion was one of the guys we could most afford to miss on. With Smith, Hunter, Anderson, Race, Moore, Davis, and hopefully TJD we are pretty good at the 3-5. I still feel like the 2 next year is more of a question mark then any position on our roster given Romeo likely leaving. I had high hopes for landing a top guard like Ramsey or even Bouknight and while Armaan will be a great defender not sure we still won't have need at the 2 next year. I still would rather have Brooks than not...but it won't exactly end our hopes for next year. Archie would just have to make up for it in other players/ways.

Who knows...perhaps we pickup another grad transfer for that position at the 2.  Coach Miller has options, I'm guessing.

My son was blessed to participate in the experience of being recruited by many of the top ten ranked rugby programs around the country. It was a fun experience. I went places with him that I would have NEVER gone. After the glitz and glamour fade, quiet home conversations begin with a head vs heart battle. If the head and the heart are in the same spot, the kid will follow his loved childhood university. 

48 minutes ago, Namnik said:

My son was blessed to participate in the experience of being recruited by many of the top ten ranked rugby programs around the country. It was a fun experience. I went places with him that I would have NEVER gone. After the glitz and glamour fade, quiet home conversations begin with a head vs heart battle. If the head and the heart are in the same spot, the kid will follow his loved childhood university. 

Nice perspective. Thanks for the post.

45 minutes ago, Namnik said:

Great post. On a somewhat lesser level, my oldest was recruited for soccer including a big time program, an Argentinian professional team, and was offered and about to accept a spot on a very good NY school's team, when he got accepted, on academics only and not for soccer, by Northwestern. Now I'm shelling out crazy amounts of money for his NWU education, after he hung up his cleats. Kids will follow their dream, and they should, and if you have that fantastic opportunity as a kid to go through that process and work it all out for yourself, yes, do it.

Archived