Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want the player Archie Miller wants.  He's in a better position to judge than most of us.  I'll always prefer Indiana kids first as long as the talent is there and there are no issues.  In this case, I'd definitely want to know more about the midseason conflict...is the coach a tool?  Is he any good at developing player talent?  Is Keion coachable? Are there any attitude issues?  Can he get a lot better with better coaching and instruction?  Is he willing to put in the work to succeed?  If I were the coach, I'd want a pretty good idea what the answers were to all of those questions before I decided how big a priority a player was.

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I want the player Archie Miller wants.  He's in a better position to judge than most of us.  I'll always prefer Indiana kids first as long as the talent is there and there are no issues.  In this case, I'd definitely want to know more about the midseason conflict...is the coach a tool?  Is he any good at developing player talent?  Is Keion coachable? Are there any attitude issues?  Can he get a lot better with better coaching and instruction?  Is he willing to put in the work to succeed?  If I were the coach, I'd want a pretty good idea what the answers were to all of those questions before I decided how big a priority a player was.

I don't disagree. It seems they're still on him since both Archie and Bruiser have been at his games recently. I would assume they know what happened in regards to the midseason conflict and are comfortable with the answers given. But I am also biased since I am from FW and went to NSHS and would like to see IU make some inroads in the FW area. That being said I have never seen Watford play. 

2 hours ago, cohete15 said:

I love how people on here are shying away from a 5* Indiana kid. It's hilarious. Landing Keion Brooks means a lot more than getting Trendon Watford.

1 hour ago, StLHoosier said:

I would rather get Brooks.  IMO, he has more upside than Watford.  Kid still has a year to grow his game, before he goes to college.  I wouldn’t write him off yet.

I agree. Getting the best within Indiana means more long term to the program. 

Agree with you guys that the emphasis should be on Indiana kids, all else being equal.

Archie said that his priority was to lock down the state. That would include Brooks.

Ft. Wayne is the second largest city in the state. Does not always put out Division 1 talent, but when it does, IU has not been the number one choice for these kids.

Last year, there were two kids from Ft.Wayne that went to Louisville, maybe a decision they regret now, but fact of the matter is, they did not look at IU.

Deshaun Thomas ignored IU. 

Archie recruiting Brooks hard should send a message to the high school coaches up here that NE Indiana is a priority.

5 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

Not wanting Brooks is laughable. He's so good. 

I don’t think anyone said they dont want him, just that he’s probably not actually 5 star talent and shouldn’t take priority over a guy like Watford who grew up watching his brother in AH rooting for the Hoosiers, donning the Cream and Crimson. Getting Brooks doesn’t guarantee we’ll get other Indiana kids and Archie has recruited plenty others in state

50 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I disagree with everything you said.

You absolutely take Brooks over Watford. To be honest, Watford was never coming here in the first place. 

Also, you think Watford is more of a 5 star talent than Brooks?!

Not saying I don’t believe you, but where did you see that?

1 hour ago, RoadToZion said:

I disagree with everything you said.

You absolutely take Brooks over Watford. To be honest, Watford was never coming here in the first place. 

Also, you think Watford is more of a 5 star talent than Brooks?!

Don’t take my word for it, check every recruiting ranking there is. Watford has worked up to a consensus top 10 recruit in the class and Brooks is falling out of the top 25 in most if not all.

My opinion of Brooks is that he needs a lot of work and has trouble shining when he’s playing against. Again, he’d be nice to have but I want Watford and TJD more. Speak in absolutes all you want but it doesn’t make you correct. Im entitled to my opinion so agree to disagree. 

Maybe it's a distance thing but I don't get why Archie and staff aren't recruiting Trendon Watford harder. For example, Michigan State is recruiting an in-state SF in Romeo Weems. Most writers believe he is going to MSU and Izzo is obviously still heavily recruiting Brooks. Not sure why we don't do the same. Yes, landing an in-state recruit would be better for long-term relationships. However, landing a 5-star player who has ties to IU and is as passionate about our program as kids who grew up here isn't a bad consolation. It also shows that regardless of where you are geographically our coaching staff will be prioritizing the IU family. 

In my professional life I have made some decisions that, at the time, were not going to produce immediate results but that in the long run, proved to be very beneficial.

If the talent level is even close, I think that CAM making the decision for the local kid will pay off in spades in the long run.

While the decision to focus on Brooks over Watford may be less beneficial in the near term, if it sends the message to the Indiana high school coaches that CAM is true to his promise of locking down the state, then imo the short term decision is less important than the long term benefit.

I hope that CAMhas the outlook that he is going to be our coach for many years to come and is looking to build a program with that perspective 

I'm on board with the Indiana kid IF his attitude and personality fits.  I won't question the coach if he backs away though. That would tell me that he saw something he didn't like.  At this point, it appears he likes Keion pretty well, but I don't buy into taking kid just because he's a talented Indiana kid.  The wrong attitudes and personalities can wreck a team in a hurry.

Using the talented Indiana kid rule would have got us JaQuan Lyle.

It will be very rare that I have inside information on a recruit, but as of now, there is a reason Archie is not putting much effort into Trendon.  We are not in the running for him. Good kid, good family, but other priorities. If I hear any different,  I will share. Better to focus on an elite Indiana kid where an assistant has connections, and we can build momentum within the state.

Archived