Peter Jurkin , & Other Former IU players news UPDATES !!

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Good post. Crean had a lot of success finding diamonds in the rough by putting a huge amount of value on athleticism. He weighted athleticism too much in his evaluations in my opinion, as those two points demonstrate. The diamonds in the rough he did find, while being hyper athletic, also had very high basketball IQ and fairly refined skills by the time they turned into elite players. 

His approach that you can't teach athleticism but you can teach skill wasn't wrong, but I'll take a less athletic skilled player over a raw athlete every day of the week. 

Ummmmm, Crean also got a lot of duds.......but I like your post.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Peter, 6 of 15.  After watching embid bang 1 from deep then miserably attempt another, I got bored and started checking out old guys stats.  

A team of Guy, blueitt, Stan Rob, hoeztel Montana, jurkin, McIntosh, Devon Davis, and all of our current frosh and sophomores would be a top 15 squad, I would think.  Interesting to think about.  I know 3? of those guys would be graduated by this season had they not transferred.  

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Just FYI....Blueitt withdrew himself from consideration at IU. His choice. Not Crean's. Didn't want to play with Yogi. That's on Bluiett.

Iirc it was sorta floated here that Crean didn't think he was athletic enough.  I think that was Troy's class as well and he prioritized Troy.  Kinda like grade school, I don't like you, well I don't like you either.  

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Iirc it was sorta floated here that Crean didn't think he was athletic enough.  I think that was Troy's class as well and he prioritized Troy.  Kinda like grade school, I don't like you, well I don't like you either.  

That was also on the heels of IU starting 5'11 Yogi and 6'0 Hulls vs Syracuse length/zone. I think Crean wanted length/athleticism more.....plus factoring in what I said earlier. 

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That's amazing. They seemed to work well together at Park Tudor.  Wonder what was going on there...?

Don't take my word as gospel. Others can chime in. Let's just say that TB didn't like all the hype Yogi received over him. Might have played well on court together but nothing off. At least that's what I've always heard. 

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That's amazing. They seemed to work well together at Park Tudor.  Wonder what was going on there...?

As I recall during the recruitment Crean was unwilling to make promises about how featured a role he would play in the offense.

crean also did his whole “on again-off again” approach which I don’t think helped. His way of giving away offers, wearing certain relationships into the ground, and being a bit hot and cold seemed to undermine him in the state as time wore on.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Lurker said:

I noticed a post from March on the Missouri State 247 board that Grant Gelon has asked for and been granted his release.  Apparently happened before the coaching change.

I guess his search continues.

Grant had better find a place and stick quickly. He's got two years to settle and get his college education completed or else he'll be riding on the back of a garbage truck wondering what could have been.

If ever there was a kid who should have swallowed his pride and accepted a FREE degree from IU, this is it.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Grant had better find a place and stick quickly. He's got two years to settle and get his college education completed or else he'll be riding on the back of a garbage truck wondering what could have been.

If ever there was a kid who should have swallowed his pride and accepted a FREE degree from IU, this is it.

With his skills as a journeyman maybe he is going to declare and join Eastern in 'the process' :coffee:

• 4 weeks later...

any word on where GGelon is going to school.  I'm not sure that he finished past december for the Fightin' Corn Dogs of State Fair CC.  He is not playing at Mo State.   Wonder where he is going to go to school?   Georgia perhaps- CTC was sure high on him (or just high).   Any info appreciated...

15 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Gelon is a huge mystery ! He had good stats coming out of high school  but seems to have personality problems ? I hope he gets the cobwebs out of his noggin and finds a place to show his stuff ! However , I'm starting to think that he is not a team player , (sadly ) !!!

I wouldn't call Gelon's stats great in high school when he averaged 14 points a game.  He also scored like 2 points in the all star game and with the fact tat he had no other D1 offers should have let people know he shouldn't have been offered.

In the middle of March, 2018.... Missouri State hired a new coach.... Dana Ford.

Also, in the middle of March, 2018..... Grant Gelon asked for.... and was granted a release from Missouri State.

At present, I do not know if the two are related.  Nor do I know about the future of Grant Gelon. 

Grant Gelon was a two star, that should never have been offered by Crean.  Grant Gelon was offered by Crean and leaped at the chance to wear the Candy Stripes.  I ask, who, in his position would not have jumped at that chance ?  Also, I ask, how many other Indiana four and five star Indiana recruits since 2002, as documented by "The Daily Hoosier", in another thread,  chose not to take up an offer from IU ? 

Interestingly enough, I have relatives in both Springfield, Missouri, as well as Crown Point, Indiana.  And they all know what a basketball nut I am.  And never have I ever heard them say anything negative about Grant.  Though one questioned his dad at one time.

Remember... Missouri State was one stopping off place for Steve Alford, before it was known as MSU.  I have walked the campus, myself. It's just down the street from the Bass Pro Shop HQ.   MSU would most likely have been a good stopping off point for Grant, had there not been a coaching change.  Much like what happened to Grant when Archie became IU's HC, and one of the first things Archie did was to cut Grant.  I don't have a problem with what Archie did.... as I say... Crean should have never offered Grant in the first place. 

Grant may not have the greatest stats. But he does have a quick release, and can be deadly from the three.  Just something, we could have used last year, IMHO.  I guess Archie did not see it at the time. And I say.. again... I am ok with the decision.

The only question I have... is.... since Archie cut Grant.... can Grant come back to IU and finish his degree under IU's Student Bill of Rights ?  My understanding is that there is no time limit placed on the IU Student Bill of Rights.

And lastly... the kid wore the Candy Stripes.  And this thread is about former IU players.  For me... that means I care... and why he should be discussed here.  Not to mention, Grant is a "Region Rat".  Crean tried to break through getting "Region Rats".  Failed with Brandon Dawson.  And tried making up for that failure with Grant Gelon, as far as I can determine, trying to pull a rabbit out of his hat. Archie needs to do better in both respects.  There is now a kid out of Valpo, that Archie needs to spend more time on, IMHO.... in order to break PU's strangle hold on NWI, if nothing else.

Mile,  I had wondered the same about the student BoR.  An article I read said this:

Under the "Hoosiers for Life" program, Indiana University will pay the tuition (plus books and fees) for an IU undergraduate degree for any scholarship student-athlete who leaves school early to tend to a family emergency, pursue a professional athletics career, or for any other reason. This program is open to any former student-athlete who was eligible for at least two seasons, left IU in good standing, did not transfer, and is readmitted under university rules.

Also:     IU Athletics is also making a Four Year Scholarship Commitment to every full head count scholarship student-athlete regardless of sport entering Indiana University to ensure that they have the time needed to earn an undergraduate degree. No athletic scholarship will be reduced because of injury, illness, physical or mental condition, or on the basis of a student-athlete's ability, performance or contribution to the team's success.

Grant wasn't eligible for two seasons was he?  The 2nd paragraph makes it sound like he could have accepted that he wouldn't play but kept his scholarship on the team, which apparently wasn't the case.  I guess it doesn't matter since he did transfer.  I was curious if he was a student at IU because his instagram showed him at an IU baseball game in April but he had earlier stated he was coming back for Little 500 so I figured he wasn't back in school.  I blame HTD for me not being able to just let this go.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Grant Gelon was a two star, that should never have been offered by Crean.  Grant Gelon was offered by Crean and leaped at the chance to wear the Candy Stripes.  I ask, who, in his position would not have jumped at that chance ?  Also, I ask, how many other Indiana four and five star Indiana recruits since 2002, as documented by "The Daily Hoosier", in another thread,  chose not to take up an offer from IU ? 

Interestingly enough, I have relatives in both Springfield, Missouri, as well as Crown Point, Indiana.  And they all know what a basketball nut I am.  And never have I ever heard them say anything negative about Grant.  Though one questioned his dad at one time.

Remember... Missouri State was one stopping off place for Steve Alford, before it was known as MSU.  I have walked the campus, myself. It's just down the street from the Bass Pro Shop HQ.   MSU would most likely have been a good stopping off point for Grant, had there not been a coaching change.  Much like what happened to Grant when Archie became IU's HC, and one of the first things Archie did was to cut Grant.  I don't have a problem with what Archie did.... as I say... Crean should have never offered Grant in the first place. 

Grant may not have the greatest stats. But he does have a quick release, and can be deadly from the three.  Just something, we could have used last year, IMHO.  I guess Archie did not see it at the time. And I say.. again... I am ok with the decision.

The only question I have... is.... since Archie cut Grant.... can Grant come back to IU and finish his degree under IU's Student Bill of Rights ?  My understanding is that there is no time limit placed on the IU Student Bill of Rights.

And lastly... the kid wore the Candy Stripes.  And this thread is about former IU players.  For me... that means I care... and why he should be discussed here.  Not to mention, Grant is a "Region Rat".  Crean tried to break through getting "Region Rats".  Failed with Brandon Dawson.  And tried making up for that failure with Grant Gelon, as far as I can determine, trying to pull a rabbit out of his hat. Archie needs to do better in both respects.  There is now a kid out of Valpo, that Archie needs to spend more time on, IMHO.... in order to break PU's strangle hold on NWI, if nothing else.

You're standing up for a guy who has trashed IU. 

You're last paragraph is incredibly disengenious Mile. You have no problem knocking guys who wore the Candy Stripes and had nothing but good things to say about IU, just because those guys were good at basketball. 

I cant fathom your reaction if Noah Vonleh did what Grant Gelon did.

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I just saw this....it was Southwest Missouri State.  A Warsaw boy went there to follow Steve.  And to be honest you applauded when Grant was given a scholarship when many of us were raising an eyebrow.  Stand up for your "Region Rats", but the kid had no business being at IU playing b-ball.  It is actually laughable at the path that he has taken since he got "Creaned".  

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

You're standing up for a guy who has trashed IU. 

You're last paragraph is incredibly disengenious Mile. You have no problem knocking guys who wore the Candy Stripes and had nothing but good things to say about IU, just because those guys were good at basketball. 

I cant fathom your reaction if Noah Vonleh did what Grant Gelon did.

I followed Grant's progress from the day Crean offered, more closely than others, simply because he went to Crown Point.  That's what I do... if they are from the area of Indiana where I grew up... they're going to attract more of my attention, than some others, like Brandon Dawson, and currently Newman from Valpo.  Heck, I even followed Robbie Hummel and his friend Martin from Valpo as their stars were rising.  And there have been others.

So... your statement that Grant trashed IU, did not ring true with me.  However, respecting you and your knowledge.... I thought to myself, what did I miss ?  And I went on an extensive search to find out about that. Maybe you know "stuff" that went on behind the scenes, that did not get reported. But I could not find anything about Grant trashing IU, especially after getting highly disappointed.  And I am talking about Grant, himself and not his parents, when I say, all I could find were things like in the link below, that Grant felt that IU lied to him.   I consider that his opinion after being told abruptly one day by Archie that IU had no place for him.... a natural human reaction, and not unusual for someone in his place. I don't find his comment trashy at all.  What I do find is your comment that Grant was a piece of garbage ....trashy, almost literally.  And the fact that you asked why we even care  about Grant even more curious, in the fact that you came back to say my defense of kids from NWI as being disengenous, even more curious.

Sure Grant was unhappy about the treatment he received at IU.  But I ask, who wouldn't be, given the same circumstances ?

I started out by saying that Grant was a two star, who should never have been offered by Crean.  And that Archie had every right to do what he did.  Still, Grant... especially after being let go, had every right to say what he did, IMHO.  I just haven't found anything where he actually trashed IU.  Again, I am talking about Grant himself, and not his parents. All I can find is that Grant said was he felt he was lied to, considering the circumstances.

Also, in the link, is an answer to my question about the Student Bill of Rights.  IU was prepared to extend Grant's scholarship, but did not... because Grant announced he would be transferring , before IU made the offer

.Crown Point's Grant Gelon unhappy about treatment at Indiana University | Indiana Hoosiers Basketball | nwitimes.com

4 hours ago, rico said:

I just saw this....it was Southwest Missouri State.  A Warsaw boy went there to follow Steve.  And to be honest you applauded when Grant was given a scholarship when many of us were raising an eyebrow.  Stand up for your "Region Rats", but the kid had no business being at IU playing b-ball.  It is actually laughable at the path that he has taken since he got "Creaned".  

You are right.... MSU was known as Southwest Missouri State when Steve Alford coached there. 

And I won't deny the fact that I backed Grant when he was at IU.  That's what I do.  Especially if a player is from NWI. 

Now that he is gone, notice, once again... I said Crean should not have offered him in the first place.   At least, Miller, isn't going after two stars that will jump at the chance to play for IU, like Crean apparently was forced to do. 

Personally, I don't find Grant's path since leaving IU as laughable, as much as sad.  

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I followed Grant's progress from the day Crean offered, more closely than others, simply because he went to Crown Point.  That's what I do... if they are from the area of Indiana where I grew up... they're going to attract more of my attention, than some others, like Brandon Dawson, and currently Newman from Valpo.  Heck, I even followed Robbie Hummel and his friend Martin from Valpo as their stars were rising.  And there have been others.

So... your statement that Grant trashed IU, did not ring true with me.  However, respecting you and your knowledge.... I thought to myself, what did I miss ?  And I went on an extensive search to find out about that. Maybe you know "stuff" that went on behind the scenes, that did not get reported. But I could not find anything about Grant trashing IU, especially after getting highly disappointed.  And I am talking about Grant, himself and not his parents, when I say, all I could find were things like in the link below, that Grant felt that IU lied to him.   I consider that his opinion after being told abruptly one day by Archie that IU had no place for him.... a natural human reaction, and not unusual for someone in his place. I don't find his comment trashy at all.  What I do find is your comment that Grant was a piece of garbage ....trashy, almost literally.  And the fact that you asked why we even care  about Grant even more curious, in the fact that you came back to say my defense of kids from NWI as being disengenous, even more curious.

Sure Grant was unhappy about the treatment he received at IU.  But I ask, who wouldn't be, given the same circumstances ?

I started out by saying that Grant was a two star, who should never have been offered by Crean.  And that Archie had every right to do what he did.  Still, Grant... especially after being let go, had every right to say what he did, IMHO.  I just haven't found anything where he actually trashed IU.  Again, I am talking about Grant himself, and not his parents. All I can find is that Grant said was he felt he was lied to, considering the circumstances.

Also, in the link, is an answer to my question about the Student Bill of Rights.  IU was prepared to extend Grant's scholarship, but did not... because Grant announced he would be transferring , before IU made the offer

.Crown Point's Grant Gelon unhappy about treatment at Indiana University | Indiana Hoosiers Basketball | nwitimes.com

It may be a human reaction to feel like Grant did, but to go to the press about it is trashy. Find any other kids, all of whom had more room for feeling slighted, that said anything negative on their way out? Its unheard of. 

My disengenious comment wasn't about standing up for kids from the Region; it was the comment about how he wore the Candy Stripes and that means you care. You have no problem knocking guys who were complete class acts at IU but chose to go to the NBA so it cant be just about wearing the Candy Stripes.

Archived