Indiana Maryland POST GAME

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

and yet Archie sees the product on the floor during practice all week???

Against what?? We don’t even have enough to scrimmage. He trusts seniors but they aren’t playing like seniors...our upper class man minus Juwan are killing us. He thinks if he plays seniors and is conservative Juwan and Romeo can carry us...he needs to roll the dice and play his best players. Sometimes that means there will be freshman mistakes and mental errors...we’ve seen turnovers cut down but it also means we are limited on defense AND offense. I don’t know more than Archie I don’t pretend but man the whole board sees this and see it isn’t working..don’t be afraid to change it up.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

I thought I read somewhere on twitter or maybe another board that Moore was sick tonight.  That is the only reason I can think he did not play, esecially with Archie saying earlier in the week that he may get more minutes this game.

now that makes sense

3 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

I thought I read somewhere on twitter or maybe another board that Moore was sick tonight.  That is the only reason I can think he did not play, esecially with Archie saying earlier in the week that he may get more minutes this game.

Sick?? Serious!! This team is snake bitten!

Incredibly frustrating to watch the game slip away during the first 8 minutes of the second half. That could have been prevented in multiple ways and I largely put it on the coaching staff. It was obvious early in the game that Fitzner was out of his league, yet he was left to flounder on both ends during their huge run. We clearly needed a more athletic line up on the court to force our defense upon them, regardless of size or fouls, and Archie just didn't make it happen in time.

And I have NO idea what our team was thinking with their offensive execution throughout that run. There was a stretch of stupid three point shots, many early in the clock, and little effort to work the ball into mismatches or isolations for Romeo or Juwan. Green and Durham played a HUGE role in allowing things to unravel during this span, which is just incredibly disappointing at this stage in their careers. But again, the coaching staff should have stepped in and gotten the ball in the hands of Romeo out top during the span to work with Morgan, and that didn't happen until WAY too late. 

I hope Romeo's take over at the end of the game convinces this coaching staff that they need to unleash him to be more aggressive earlier in a game, and certainly as soon as the other team starts to grab momentum. His ability to get to the rim and draw fouls should be the ice cube we put on a heated road crowd. More Morgan/Romeo pick and roll please!! 

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

thanks for posting that, sometimes you really need to put it on the players but tonight I put it on the lame bench regardless of who played, because if Archie thought he put the best players on the floor, regardless of what people think of players who didn't play I'm with Archie things would have been worse

15 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

If Romeo or Juwan were sick, they would not have been held out.  Cliff was on the bench, so it wasn't like he had to be near a bathroom.  

We have absolutely zero depth. Zero. We have 6 players that are CAPABLE on both ends of the floor. Tired of hearing about "the injuries". Yes, Jerome would have helped, but there should absolutely not be that big of a drop off from your 6th/7th man on the bench to the 8th. Race Thompson wasn't and isn't going to give us much this year.

I don't understand everyone ragging on Devonte Green. He played 60 minutes on our last 2 road games against tough opponents. Zero turnovers, 24 points and good defense. Don't like a couple of his shots? Fair. But at least he shoots the ball. Some of the guys on this team would rather dribble or pass to someone else until the shot clock runs out. 

Our bench played 53 minutes. They had 4 shot attempts. They made zero of them. Two of the players (Rob and McBob) combined for 31 minutes with zero shot attempts. 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The lack of competitiveness, mental toughness, whatever you want to call it, during the first 10 minutes or so of the second half was alarming.  I thought this group was mentally tougher than that.  That was pure self destruction.  

Loss of focus it seemed to me.  Against MD's studs, it was our doom.

Seems the game thread was uglier than the game. 

The product on the floor will get better.

+ 16/16 from the line.

- Correct me if my memory is failing.  I remember IU giving up 17(?) first half O rebounds while giving up no 2nd chance points.  That formula was not going to work, Maryland started to take full advantage of those additional opportunities out of the intermission.

+ Are we finally going to be healthy and get into a rhythm and have continuity?

Took a break because people seemed to be getting heated in the game thread. But I’ll say it again, Indiana has to start winning these kinds of games. I wasn’t upset after Duke or Michigan, but I am sick of losing the games like Arkansas and Maryland. And it’s not just this year or this coach. It’s been Indiana basketball for about 20 years. It’s time as a fanbase to raise our standards. I really don’t care who’s to blame. The players, coaches (past and present), administration, whoever. But the Indiana basketball I grew up with was better than this. 

This dosnt mean I hate the coach, or wanted someone else. I actually like Miller. I also liked Crean in the beginning. But these guys are at Indiana now. Expectations should be higher and so should the demands of the fanbase. 

34 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

We have absolutely zero depth. Zero. We have 6 players that are CAPABLE on both ends of the floor. Tired of hearing about "the injuries". Yes, Jerome would have helped, but there should absolutely not be that big of a drop off from your 6th/7th man on the bench to the 8th. Race Thompson wasn't and isn't going to give us much this year.

I don't understand everyone ragging on Devonte Green. He played 60 minutes on our last 2 road games against tough opponents. Zero turnovers, 24 points and good defense. Don't like a couple of his shots? Fair. But at least he shoots the ball. Some of the guys on this team would rather dribble or pass to someone else until the shot clock runs out. 

Our bench played 53 minutes. They had 4 shot attempts. They made zero of them. Two of the players (Rob and McBob) combined for 31 minutes with zero shot attempts. 

The injury situation this year has really kind of crazy. I've never seen a freshman class get banged up like this one, not to mention Rob and Davis. 

That said, Anderson and Moore and healthy and should be getting some minutes at points considering the situation. I appreciate the hard work McRoberts and Fitzner give to help our program, but I at this point I'd rather be losing with the younger guys gaining experience for at least limited minutes to see what impact they can have.

And honestly, I can't even remember if Forrester is available or not at this point (that's how confounding the injuries have been), but if he is, get the kid in there for god's sake and let him figure out the college game. I can't imagine he would be less capable than our current bench talent. 

26 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That was a bad roster and none of those games ever mattered.  Nothing that happened last year can correspond with this year’s team where there’s some hope.  

Still far more embarrassing than losing a Big Ten road game to a decent team... That roster wasn’t that bad.

And it’s starting to look like this roster may finish in about the same place as the last one.

1 hour ago, cohete15 said:

Gotta say a lot of truth here. McRoberts and Fitzner need to be DONE. I mean completely done. 

No one? The defense had a few lapse but for the most part was solid. I feel like when Morgan and Smith would double the low post in the first half, that reduced an option or two for them. 

Offensively, Morgan and Langford played great. IMO there are only 3 available players (Langford, Phin, Morgan) on this team that play with high IQ on both ends. Langford is extremely unselfish on the offensive end and shouldn’t be. I think with Phin back in rotation, we will see more flow and improvements offensively. 

4 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

Well I’m not usually the most positive guy on here but even with our last two close games on the road,  I’m impressed with some of our better guys. I think we get healthy and Romeo can shoot from the outside and becomes a little more selfish, we going to win some games.

that bing said, our rebounding will have to improve!

Yeah I see things similarly. 

Really disappointing loss. I put some of it on Cam. But this team, I think, will get back to winning. 

2 hours ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

Took a break because people seemed to be getting heated in the game thread. But I’ll say it again, Indiana has to start winning these kinds of games. I wasn’t upset after Duke or Michigan, but I am sick of losing the games like Arkansas and Maryland. And it’s not just this year or this coach. It’s been Indiana basketball for about 20 years. It’s time as a fanbase to raise our standards. I really don’t care who’s to blame. The players, coaches (past and present), administration, whoever. But the Indiana basketball I grew up with was better than this. 

This dosnt mean I hate the coach, or wanted someone else. I actually like Miller. I also liked Crean in the beginning. But these guys are at Indiana now. Expectations should be higher and so should the demands of the fanbase. 

Hear you.

but I think we’re getting there. This team hasn’t been healthy. It’s CAM’s 2nd season. Things are headed up.

8 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

We’re more than halfway through the season.  We need to be there already.

I understand people's desire to be a final four type team that owns the league, but who really thought that this year would be the year that this happened? It would be nice to have more pieces around Juwan and Romeo. It seems like we are not going to capitalize on having a once in a lifetime recruit like Romeo and a senior stud like Juwan.  But what can we do about it? CAM has the program moving in the right direction, and no matter how much I believe we need to be good, it doesn't seem to change how the team plays.

Archived