Indiana Maryland POST GAME

1 minute ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

What a reach. Nice straw man. 

Anyone that says anything negative about Romeo's performance last night especially with the way Mcroberts, Fitzner, Green and a few of the others played, doesn't have an opinion worth taking seriously.

Romeo carried IU last night, as he's done many times this year. We needed better play out of  the others to have a chance and we didn't get it.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SIHoosier26 said:

Anyone that says anything negative about Romeo's performance last night especially with the way Mcroberts, Fitzner, Green and a few of the others played, doesn't have an opinion worth taking seriously.

Romeo carried IU last night, as he's done many times this year. We needed better play out of  the others to have a chance and we didn't get it.

So you would say that Romeo was pretty impactful in the first half of the second half?

Just now, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

So you would say that Romeo was pretty impactful in the first half of the second half?

We lost the lead because of terrible defense, lack of rebounding, and terrible shot selection. It isn't Romeo's fault that Green and Fitzner took one bad shot after another early in the second half. Green has zero basketball IQ I'll be glad when he's gone.

There were a lot of players to get on after last night's loss, Romeo (28 points on just 14 shots) was not one of them.

1 minute ago, SIHoosier26 said:

We lost the lead because of terrible defense, lack of rebounding, and terrible shot selection. It isn't Romeo's fault that Green and Fitzner took one bad shot after another early in the second half. Green has zero basketball IQ I'll be glad when he's gone.

There were a lot of players to get on after last night's loss, Romeo (28 points on just 14 shots) was not one of them.

Answer the question. 

10 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Answer the question. 

I did, Romeo plays within the offense almost to a fault sometimes. It isn't Romeo's fault that Green thought he was Russel Westbrook early in the second half, chucking contested layups off the side of the backboard early in the shot clock. Not to mention Fitzner channeling his inner Kareem and getting blocked by Fernando's elbow.

Romeo is great but you can't carry a team by yourself ALL the time. At some point he needed some of the other guys to step up, it didn't happen last night. I just find it interesting that with all the guys to get on over last night's game, you chose our star freshman who had 28 on 14 shots. 

1 minute ago, SIHoosier26 said:

I did, Romeo plays within the offense almost to a fault sometimes. It isn't Romeo's fault the Green thought he was Russel Westbrook early in the second half chucking contested layups off the side of the backboard early in the shot clock. Not to mention Fitzner channeling his inner Kareem and getting blocked by Fernando's elbow.

Romeo is great but you can't carry a team by yourself ALL the time. At some point he needed some of the other guys to step up, it didn't happen last night. I just find it interesting that after all the guys to get on over last night's game, you chose our star freshman who had 28 on 14 shots. 

I didn’t “get on him”. I pointed out that he was a ghost during the first ten minutes of the second half. The rest is stuff you made up in your own mind. 

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I didn’t “get on him”. I pointed out that he was a ghost during the first ten minutes of the first half. The rest is stuff you made up in your own mind. 

Mentioning that he was a ghost for a portion of the game isn't getting on him? That's interesting.

11 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I didn’t “get on him”. I pointed out that he was a ghost during the first ten minutes of the second half. The rest is stuff you made up in your own mind. 

Whoa, he didn't need to touch it in the first 10 minutes.  His teammates were doing just fine.  

Frustrated with loss as much as anyone.  But we are suppose to learn from it and improve going forward.  I don't like singling out players but I think it's time a few not play until they are healthy.  I think CAM also needs some introspection.  Even going back to last year, he seems unyielding to even try to give the younger players even a short stretch during the games.  So here are my thoughts going forward(worth less than 2 cents)

DG-Simply not PG.  Poor IQ.  Now a Junior.  I believe Fool's Gold to expect anything more than what we have seen.  Can give rest to RP/Al and play off guard when on floor.

Fitz-Simply not the player we thought.  Give his minutes to Forrester, Moore, DA and let's see what they can do in game situations

McBob-I think he is playing injured.  Rest him until healthy

DD-I think he is playing injured.  Rest him until healthy

Al-PG when RP on the bench.  Showing improvement in shot and D. Plays smarter than DG.

CAM-Let the younger players have some time now and hopefully they can help even more in March.  Rethink not recruiting at least 1 true Center.  We have problems with a true C.  

With all our warts, I still think we can can be a force finish 3 in the BIG.  Definitely Sweest 16 material.

I am tired of hearing about the injuries, they are there and exist.  Next man up, and that includes Archie.  I don't give a damn about experience, I want talented players on the floor.  We got them regardless of the injuries.  Problem is, IMHO, Cam trying to coach like he did at Dayton.  If we are gonna lose, I want the young guys on the floor.  Who knows what would have happened last night if Damezi, Clif, and Jake saw the floor?  We do know one, very important thing, what happened when Fitz and McBob were on it.  

56 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Im more interested in how the "team" play's as a whole than one individual performance ...but thats just me.

I wasn't posting it to single out Romeo for a great performance.  I was posting to make a point that performances like that make it less likely he will be here next season.  

14 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

Frustrated with loss as much as anyone.  But we are suppose to learn from it and improve going forward.  I don't like singling out players but I think it's time a few not play until they are healthy.  I think CAM also needs some introspection.  Even going back to last year, he seems unyielding to even try to give the younger players even a short stretch during the games.  So here are my thoughts going forward(worth less than 2 cents)

DG-Simply not PG.  Poor IQ.  Now a Junior.  I believe Fool's Gold to expect anything more than what we have seen.  Can give rest to RP/Al and play off guard when on floor.

Fitz-Simply not the player we thought.  Give his minutes to Forrester, Moore, DA and let's see what they can do in game situations

McBob-I think he is playing injured.  Rest him until healthy

DD-I think he is playing injured.  Rest him until healthy

Al-PG when RP on the bench.  Showing improvement in shot and D. Plays smarter than DG.

CAM-Let the younger players have some time now and hopefully they can help even more in March.  Rethink not recruiting at least 1 true Center.  We have problems with a true C.  

With all our warts, I still think we can can be a force finish 3 in the BIG.  Definitely Sweest 16 material.

Good assessments and appreciate your staying positive, too.   I wish I could

Watching last night's game, I thought we had a dilemma. Reality is we don't have a deep bench. I feel like we only have a certain time window that our starters put the maximum efforts to shut the other team down. It was obvious coach wanted to start the game well, so we did. But we didn't or couldn't have the usual second half surge like we always had. Bench players really need to step up in practice OR Archie simply needs to trust them more and give them more chances. I can see our team is working hard and fixing problems; our 3 pointers and free throws were excellent last night. If those didn't fall, it would've been a blowout loss after leading as many as 14 points in the first half. I think it's time to give Clifton Moore some playing time. 

Yeah Romeo had some stretch of game where he wasn't as assertive as he needed to be, but it was because of Romeo we only lost the game by 3 points. It could've been a blowout. I mean a loss is a loss no matter what the margin is but we certainly didn't want a 15 point blowout loss after leading by 14 in the first half. 

One thing I gotta say is Romeo needs to realize he should be more selfish in offense. Look what Green did last night. He didn't hesitate taking shots. I'm not sure he was actively looking for his shots but I felt that he took some shots he shouldn't have taken and some of his plays and shots kinda killed the momentum. 

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Bad enough to get beat by 20+ at home by Indiana State and IPFW?  Absolutely not.  You’re crazy if you think it was.

It was a transition year with a bunch of guys that didn't belong in the Big10. Heck, we still have a few on this team. To me it was impressive that Archie finished top 6 with that roster. The year before with OG, Bryant, and Blackmon still on the team Crean only won 7 conference games. Archie had the same roster Crean had to work with minus those guys and he finished .500 and a few spots higher in the standings.

With Crean, last year's roster likely finishes dead last in the Big10.

Archived