Indiana Maryland POST GAME

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

Just once? 

That will happen this season :) 

That's my frustration talking.  Heck yeah...I'd like to see them get on a tear and sweep the Toiletmakers in the process.  They've got the talent and the coaching.  What the hell are they waiting for?

I know, I know...injuries.  It's time to get past that.  I'm another one old enough to remember expecting to win every game and rarely being  disappointed.  A bad game for IU in the golden age was barely beating Wisconsin.

48 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Yeah Romeo had some stretch of game where he wasn't as assertive as he needed to be, but it was because of Romeo we only lost the game by 3 points. It could've been a blowout. I mean a loss is a loss no matter what the margin is but we certainly didn't want a 15 point blowout loss after leading by 14 in the first half. 

One thing I gotta say is Romeo needs to realize he should be more selfish in offense. Look what Green did last night. He didn't hesitate taking shots. I'm not sure he was actively looking for his shots but I felt that he took some shots he shouldn't have taken and some of his plays and shots kinda killed the momentum. 

Yep, you’re spot on. Not sure if it’s archies game plan or Romeo being passive, but Archie needs to change it no matter what the reason is. 

This board is lacking in perspective.  

Heading into the season, I was hoping this team would be a 3-5 seed and make the Sweet Sixteen.  

The 2012 team.....for instance.  They lost to a bad Iowa team on the road, a bad Minnesota team at home, and a bad Nebraska team on the road.  Yesterday's Maryland loss is nowhere near as bad as any of those losses, but that team was a 4 seed that made the Sweet Sixteen.  And that team did not have anywhere near the injury issues this year's team has had.  

Furthermore, let's just be blunt- if Robert Phinesee isn't at or near full strength, this year's team isn't that good.  With him, I still think we're a 3-6 seed.  Without him, 8 seed at best...maybe just a bubble team.  I know some say that's excuses, but I'd argue that's reality.  Regardless of how much people complain on a message board, we won't be that good if Phinesee isn't full strength.  Fortunately, I see no reason he won't be full strength in two weeks.

I'm not understanding the panic that some of the posters here are showing. I'm as disappointed as anyone about this loss, especially because we coughed up a huge early 1st half lead. That said, I think we all knew that the B1G was going to be a bloodbath this season, where winning on the road is going to be difficult for any team (re; tOSU at Rutgers and soon to be at Iowa). Maryland is a good team with a higher "NET" rating than us that beat us by 3 on their home court. Throw in all the injuries and RP just coming back into the rotation, and we're hanging in there pretty well.  

2 minutes ago, BEKA said:

I'm not understanding the panic that some of the posters here are showing. I'm as disappointed as anyone about this loss, especially because we coughed up a huge early 1st half lead. That said, I think we all knew that the B1G was going to be a bloodbath this season, where winning on the road is going to be difficult for any team (re; tOSU at Rutgers and soon to be at Iowa). Maryland is a good team with a higher "NET" rating than us that beat us by 3 on their home court. Throw in all the injuries and RP just coming back into the rotation, and we're hanging in there pretty well.  

Had we blasted NW, PSU, Butler, and Illinois like we should have I don't think you would see much panic.  But the fact that they were all squeakers and we've now lost 2 straight it's not hard to understand.

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Had we blasted NW, PSU, Butler, and Illinois like we should have I don't think you would see much panic.  But the fact that they were all squeakers and we've now lost 2 straight it's not hard to understand.

Meh. I've sat through too many garbage seasons to not at least recognize we're headed in the right direction. Take away all the freakish injuries this season and we're easily in the mix for a conference championship. I'm fairly confident we win a couple on the road and take care of things at home and finish top 4-5. tOSU is about to go 0-3 and their still (not for long) ranked 16th in the nation. It's just a tough league this year. 

26 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Not sure that we should have blasted through anyone. Not going to happen too often this season 

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

So a Sweet 16 was a totally unrealistic expectation.  Got it.  Hell Alford and Lavin did that multiple times in their first few years at UCLA.

Just because you have insane expectations doesn't mean we all have to. Some of us called this coming into the season, we simply don't have the roster to live up to the expectations a lot of the fans had coming into the year.

No size, we have a 6"7 power forward playing center and a 6"6 small forward playing power forward. As we saw last night and against Arkansas every big man worth his salt is going to destroy us inside. Also, lack of consistent shooters, we've got a few but none that you can rely on consistently, with Rob injured we don't have a point guard, and with the injuries we have zero depth especially for what is likely the toughest stretch of our season.

Fitzner, Mcroberts, Green, and Moore would never see the floor on a legit top 10 team, and Al would likely be a 6th or 7th man. At this point I'm sticking with my original prediction of 23-24 wins, 4th-5th place finish in the Big10, and a win in the NCAA tournament. I think that would be a very good season for this team.

I think it is reasonable to wait until the entire basketball season is completed this year to take all of the known information and then make an intelligent assessment of the team and whether or not they meet peoples expectations. Understanding they will differ from person to person

42 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I think it is reasonable to wait until the entire basketball season is completed this year to take all of the known information and then make an intelligent assessment of the team and whether or not they meet peoples expectations. Understanding they will differ from person to person

Reasonable is not always attainable, unfortunately 

1 hour ago, BEKA said:

Stating that we let one get away last night, and questioning why some guys are playing over others is not panic.  I've seen one person question whether we will make the NCAA.  Everyone else is simply frustrated about last night, but still believes this team had potential.

th

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Ughh.

Just once I want to see IU exceed expectations.

That is all.

They did last year because were picked to finished 9th or 10th and finished 6th so that is way over expectations.  This year right now we are tied for 3rd in the conference with 15 games to go.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

So a Sweet 16 was a totally unrealistic expectation.  Got it.  Hell Alford and Lavin did that multiple times in their first few years at UCLA.

I thought sweet 16 was our ceiling this year and that was with a totally healthy roster.  Injuries is not an excuse but a reality so if you still think this team should make a big tournament run then you will probably going to be on here complaining like usual.

B1G season is 25% over. Lots of games to play, lots of home games to play.

I would think that we can get to at least 12-8 in conference. Overall, at least 23 wins. With the strength of the conference this year, that should translate into a decent seed.

I am as frustrated as most, but dwelling on the past does no good and can’t be changed. Nebraska is next game up. Win that, move forward 

I don't understand the "injuries are no excuse" logic.  If we don't recruit good players, we are not going to compete. If we recruit good players, but they can't play because of injury, we are not going to be as good.  It is hard to imagine that having Race and Jerome available would not have made a measurable improvement to this team.  Practice alone would have been better and prepared the team more.  If Alan Henderson doesn't hurt his knee in '93, I think we win it all.  If Scott May hadn't broken his arm in '75, I know we win it all.  Injuries matter, end of story....good night.

4 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

I don't understand the "injuries are no excuse" logic.  If we don't recruit good players, we are not going to compete. If we recruit good players, but they can't play because of injury, we are not going to be as good.  It is hard to imagine that having Race and Jerome available would not have made a measurable improvement to this team.  Practice alone would have been better and prepared the team more.  If Alan Henderson doesn't hurt his knee in '93, I think we win it all.  If Scott May hadn't broken his arm in '75, I know we win it all.  Injuries matter, end of story....good night.

Injuries can be an excuse but not every year.  They were maybe last season with Deron out and Hartman gimped and this season with Jerome and Race out.  But it won't be a valid excuse next season no matter what.  It's like Tom Crean consistently getting blasted in the Sweet 16.  Sooner or later it's more than just bad luck.

Archived