Indiana Maryland POST GAME

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Glad to see you give out a 'D'.  

Also, very interesting point you made about how Romeo was able to slow down Cowan.  I thought the same thing while watching the game and wished Archie had tried that earlier.

Well if I had my way Fitzner would have got a 'F' and McRoberts would be a 'D-'.

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just wondering for the people who are complaining about how Archie has not turned us into a national power by now.  John Beilein after two years at UM was 32-36 so would you have wanted him gone after two years.

I don't think Beilein had Romeo or Morgan in year 2.  

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just wondering for the people who are complaining about how Archie has not turned us into a national power by now.  John Beilein after two years at UM was 32-36 so would you have wanted him gone after two years.

Nobody is suggesting that Scott.  But, some are questioning his affinity for a couple of players who are bringing us nothing at the moment.  It may have cost us the game last night.  

1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Caution: Rambling post, lacking in dread and dismay:

Coming into the season, we as good fans, were optimistic for several reasons: a highly ranked 5-star freshman and another who was reported to look very good coming in as well as an under ranked one and a couple of other quality recruits, Race being healthy with a season to acclimate and prepare physically, Green with 12 months to learn, a 5th year senior who we believed would be a deadeye 3 point shooter, a returning senior who would compete for POY honors in the B10.  Yet, most saw us a likely second to fourth place team (best case).

Multiple injuries with significant time lost to those players, not only resulting them not playing but also retarding their development have plagued us right from the opening week.  Green not showing the improved maturity we hoped for and Fitzner only being a good contributor for the first few games before becoming more of a detriment than an asset.  Objectively these are reasons for our "ceiling" to be lowered a notch or two.

The good news is Morgan has been excellent, Romeo has largely lived up to his billing, Rob was really beginning to acclimate well to being a D1 PG prior to his concussion, Justin has begun to play very well on the defensive end and play within himself at the offensive end, Al has shown flashes of what we hope he will become, and Deron has provided some good minutes despite coming off a serious injury.  As others have noted, we have an improved record and overall better defensive rankings.

One thing we are going to be "stuck" with is not having anyone who can defend big, strong, inside players.  We just don't have that kind of player on the roster.  I think that the Miller defensive principles can ideally deal with big guys, but right now we can't with a lack of talent (experience) up front.  I don't know if big guys are something that Archie will recruit into his vision of play.  Heck, when's the last time we had a dominating post presence? Cody?  Hopefully, our other inconsistent facet (shooting) can improve.

TL:DR

Our optimistic hopes have to be adjusted due to several factors (some beyond the coaches control), but all is not lost.  My hope is that as we get healthier, and the freshmen get more experience under their belts we can get on a roll in the second half of the conference season with a favorable schedule.

P.S.  I wholely agree that we need to get Moore, Anderson, and Forrester some minutes that a couple of other players are getting.

well said

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

This is where I disagree because Maryland is better than us

No they're not. Realistically, we would've hammered MD at home, and we should've won last night's game but let things get away in the second half. MD is a good team -- not great, not bad, and they have post players that makes things difficult for a team like ours, but no, they're not a better team.

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

No they're not. Realistically, we would've hammered MD at home, and we should've won last night's game but let things get away in the second half. MD is a good team -- not great, not bad, and they have post players that makes things difficult for a team like ours, but no, they're not a better team.

I am saying that in this situation where our roster is depleted they are the better team right now and they were favored in this game.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We should not overlook the fact that Romeo put a show on in front of all the NBA scouts in attendance last night.  He had been sliding in the mocks, but last night he looked like top 5 material.

He was and is top 5 material, the mock drafts are like espn rankings, they mean almost nothing. The scouts have Romeo in the top group of players, where he goes (assuming he stays in) just turns on what teams are drafting, and what they're looking for (e.g., best player available, or an elite point guard, etc.) He's solidly, solidly in the lottery.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I am saying that in this situation where our roster is depleted they are the better team right now and they were favored in this game.

That's fair -- they were favored because they were at home, and yes our injuries/recovery from injuries and lack of practice time with the injured players hampers us. 

I think we'll win and win well the next game, and -- IF WE FREAKING STAY HEALTHY -- we're going to do well going forward.

13 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I don't think Beilein had Romeo or Morgan in year 2.  

Romeo and Morgan, and then who?

That’s the real issue here. The complimentary players are young, inexperienced, injured or some combination of the three. Two guys can’t carry a team. Morgan’s lack of size/bulk and defensive deficiencies were exposed last night. When option 3 got in foul trouble, the team was left with a point guard who exhibits questionable judgment more often than not trying to be the relief to Romeo and Juwan. 

As much as we don’t want to admit it, this roster is still a work in progress. Holdovers from the folly that was Tom Crean are being asked to do to much because the other options are hurt. Crean was notorious for his inability to build a full roster, and was enamored with the stretch 4 and 5’s . As such, he did not bring in any kids with the size and strength to compete with a Fernando. The kids Archie has brought in who might develop are hurt. Fitzner was a whiff, but his role was never to be a down low banger, and he’s being asked to do so because Davis can’t get/stay healthy. Maybe Moore would have helped, but from all I’v seen thus far, he doesn’t have the strength to deal with Maryland’s bigs either.

Are we “wasting “ Juwan’s last year and probably Romeo’s only one? Yet to know for sure, but right now I’d say no. We probably won’t go as far in the tournament as we would like, but we are solidly a tournament team. This group is re-establishing IU as a presence. After missing the tournament the last two years, CAM has us well positioned for this season, with a roster half filled with Crean’s recruits, and for the future.

We lost road games to two tough opponents. Our schedule will benefit us as the season progresses. As a freckled - faced redhead use to say, “What, me worried?”

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He was and is top 5 material, the mock drafts are like espn rankings, they mean almost nothing. The scouts have Romeo in the top group of players, where he goes (assuming he stays in) just turns on what teams are drafting, and what they're looking for (e.g., best player available, or an elite point guard, etc.) He's solidly, solidly in the lottery.

Similarly, the KenPoms, at this stage, mean nothing 

47 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

McRoberts is a huge liability on offense and Fitzner is a huge liability on defense and rebounding. If these two are on the court together we are in trouble plain and simple. 

If Race comes back, I don’t see Fitzner getting more than a few mins each game. 

Im beginning to wonder if we ever see Race in an IU uniform 

14 hours ago, cohete15 said:

We have absolutely zero depth. Zero. We have 6 players that are CAPABLE on both ends of the floor. Tired of hearing about "the injuries". Yes, Jerome would have helped, but there should absolutely not be that big of a drop off from your 6th/7th man on the bench to the 8th. Race Thompson wasn't and isn't going to give us much this year.

I don't understand everyone ragging on Devonte Green. He played 60 minutes on our last 2 road games against tough opponents. Zero turnovers, 24 points and good defense. Don't like a couple of his shots? Fair. But at least he shoots the ball. Some of the guys on this team would rather dribble or pass to someone else until the shot clock runs out. 

Our bench played 53 minutes. They had 4 shot attempts. They made zero of them. Two of the players (Rob and McBob) combined for 31 minutes with zero shot attempts. 

The ragging on Green is completely on his judgment and decision making, imo.

The studio guys on BTN this morning said that the difference in this game was the breakdown in offensive execution at key points in both halves. To me , that is squarely on the pg’s shoulders.

The 7 turnovers is misleading. Some of Green’s bad/ wild shots are just as damaging as turnovers 

41 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We should not overlook the fact that Romeo put a show on in front of all the NBA scouts in attendance last night.  He had been sliding in the mocks, but last night he looked like top 5 material.

Im more interested in how the "team" play's as a whole than one individual performance ...but thats just me.

This team had some pre-January wins in which they beat solid, but not top 25 teams, and were thus not “penalized” for developing bad habits.  Butler, Louisville, Penn State, Northwestern are all games referred to here as examples of this thought.  As a result, coaching only goes as far as the thirst/need of the players’ receptivity to grow, push themselves to make changes.  So, while they had some exciting wins, the in-game result was below their talent.

This team has not played to their talent level yet.  Injuries have been a factor, no doubt, but at some point that needs to be put aside as a crutch for staggering.

Morgan and Romeo have been as advertised and true fans know their value. Rob Phinisee, Al Durham and Justin Smith are part of this group, too.  After that it’s been underachievement (McRob, Fitzner, DeRon, Green) and not enough opportunity (Anderson, Moore, Forrester).

Last night was a clear indication of the team’s mental weakness collectively.  Morgan and Romeo individually are not part of that.  

Lastly, I love Archie, but his rotations last night crippled this team.  A blind person could see that.  Green and Fitzner don’t play last night and IU wins.  McRob, while a high quality kid and committed team member is not the answer.

Not sure whether it was a commitment to upperclassmen or practice-earned time, but Archie’s stubbornness to make in-game adjustments was the reason we lost.

Last night also adjusted my expectations for this season.  12-8 in conference would be best case.  They simply don’t have the makeup to win on the road and they will lose 1-3 games at the hall.  I’m disappointed.  

Archived